LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

brand new texas speed 402, no oil presure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brand new texas speed 402, no oil presure?

Just started my 402 LS2 Texas Speed short block.MTI heads,custom cam
LS oil pump,all new stuff.Within about 30 seconds of runnig ,in my opinion the
motor did sound quit enough so i shut it off.I noticed the oil pressure was pegged all the way for the first 15-20 secs then fell alomost to 0.With a little rev it would lag to 20 psi so I pulled the timing cover & notuced that when cranking the engine there is a hole on the DS block next to the oil pump that sprays oil out after a few secons of cranking.Seems odd to me that oil is coming out.I don't like it!I've built a good few engines & have covered everything.The pickup is secure,the pickup oring is new & tight,the oil pump spacers are instelled for the double roller chain.Oil pump is LS6.The oil pan,
relief valve & oil filter are stock LS1.I hope 4,000 grand did not go by the wayside tonite.Any help at all would be great.

Praying for luck!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

is it that hole that is capped in my block?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by navymitch12
is it that hole that is capped in my block?
Hell yeah,mine sprays oil like a geyser.Definately no plug in my block.I can't remember if my LS1 has the same plug.Seems like the block should have came with a plug.after all it is pressed in.No threads that I saw.

Last edited by GEARHED; 04-05-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

well glad i could help with that one.....cap that hole off
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by navymitch12
well glad i could help with that one.....cap that hole off
Did yours come plugged,was your short block assembled or purchased
piece by piece?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

i build it my self....but that is the stock block and it had one and from what your saying it sounds like its needed.

i would talk to tsp see what they say
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

That hole is should have a freeze plug in it and at the other end meaning the back off the block,there also should be whats called a barbell restrictor plug.If the plug up front was not there,I would also ck and make sure the one in the back is not missing also.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Yeah don't just cap it make sure that the little plastic restrictor thing is there. It looks like a barbell for cockroaches. Its little and plays a vital role in your oil system.

Mack
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The blocks come in completely bare, but thats odd that the plug is missing, all Shortblocks in the past 5-6 months have been shipping with the plugs installed, and Longblocks have always come with the plugs. Do you think the oil pressure was correct on startup? If it had high oil pressure then dropped, maybe the plug (if installed) was pushed out or not seated good and then pushed out under oil pressure. Did it come with the other plugs installed, the 3 small threaded plugs, and 1 large threaded coolant plug?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

An edited copy of this will be moved to Sponsor Feedback so TSP can find it, sent them a pm so they know to address it.
Could you please post your name so they can get all paperwork ready before responding? It just helps them know which build this was.

Last edited by GEARHED; 04-05-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Default texas speed 402

I,m going to work on my week off to pull the trans & see if the rear plugs have fallen out or were ever installed.I will contact texas speeds after i have confirmed that & will post back the response from them & bring all up to speed.Thanks for the help to all who posted,it seems that each time a
question needs to be answered the POWER OF KNOWLEDGE in this forum never ceases to amaze me.Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad we could get everything lined out Perry. Throw the plugs in it and fire it up!

For those watching the thread: This motor was purchased in October of last year. We did NOT start including plugs with short-blocks until the first of this year. Since we use new blocks on all of our engines, they do not come with any plugs installed whatsoever. So, you must install the oil galley plug, oil restrictor, three small coolant plugs, and one large coolant plug. At the beginning of this year, we started including these plugs in all of our engines, short- and long-blocks. We now include these plugs for this very reason. Many people, including shops, are not aware that there are plugs that should be installed in LSx blocks.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Glad we could get everything lined out Perry. Throw the plugs in it and fire it up!

For those watching the thread: This motor was purchased in October of last year. We did NOT start including plugs with short-blocks until the first of this year. Since we use new blocks on all of our engines, they do not come with any plugs installed whatsoever. So, you must install the oil galley plug, oil restrictor, three small coolant plugs, and one large coolant plug. At the beginning of this year, we started including these plugs in all of our engines, short- and long-blocks. We now include these plugs for this very reason. Many people, including shops, are not aware that there are plugs that should be installed in LSx blocks.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Thanks John,
The plugs should be in by Sat at the lastest so we will soon hear the
motor fire(with oil pressure).I'll keep everybody posted.
MY girlfriend says Texas Speed owes her 2 days of vacation.I changed our plans after the setback.Oh well.

Quick Reply: brand new texas speed 402, no oil presure?