LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Mike at New Era blew my T56 Transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Mike at New Era blew my T56 Transmission!

After I had my car Dynotuned there I call Mike at New Era to make a follow up appt for street tuning because it was missing at part throttle and he says that it was because I was in the car with him and that he normally goes by himself and that I would have to drop it of so he can get it right. See My other post about the tuning problems Here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/767961-problems-using-2bar-map-maf-tune-hp-tuners.html
I tell him that I dont have the time to drop it off and will drive it for a while to see if it gets better. It did get a little better but I was still not happy with it because it was missing at part throttle so I decide to drop it off on a thur. and pick it up on Mon since I had the day off. He calls me on Sat and he sounds nervous, at first I thought he crashed my car! He tells me that there is something wrong with my tranny that it was grinding and it stuck into first. I tell him that it was like new when I dropped it off and that he must have missed a gear or was really beating on it (power shifting). He tells me no and in fact he did not get it over 3k rpm. He tells me he thinks it is driveable and he wanted to know what I wanted him to do?!? I guess he was on the side of the road. I told him to take it back to the shop if he thought it was OK.
I call him back and appoligized to him that I blew up on him and asked
him if he made it back OK. He said it felt fine now and maybe the clutch
fluid just heated up and was not disengaging all the way. So on Monday
I pick it up and he wanted an extra $50 for the street tune and he ask
if I wanted to take it for a ride to see if it was OK or just head for
home. I told him my wife was with me and I have AAA if I had a problem
with it. He started changing his story that it really did not grind & he thought it was the clutch. (New Textralia). So on the way home and it starts grinding pretty bad and I knew right away it was not the clutch. When I got home I drain it and allot of liitle pieces of aluminum come out! The Tranny needs to be rebuilt! It going to cost me at lease 1K and probably the rest of the
racing season. I just wish he would own up to it! I have 40K on the
Tranny and it never grinded once not once then he drives it and its
toast. Come on! He said he had time to fix the tuning issues but it
feels the same to me. I did call him back to see if he could help me out with it and he immediately jumped on the defensive that he did nothing wrong. But the fact of the matter is that it broke when it was in his hands and he should do something to help me. I am not asking him to pay for the whole thing, just help out a little and treat me with some respect. I let a few days go by and called a freind to help me out. He told me that I should call Mike at New Era back to see if he changed his mind before I post.
I told him that I did not think he wanted to talk to me so he decided to call him and also got thye same responces & added that I called him up swearing at him which I did not do. I actually referred my freind to New Era for a Tune and he was happy with it. But I guess if something goes wrong he just wipes his hands. He thinks I drove my car over 1-1/2 hours away with a bad tranny just to set him up. Yeah right. Thanks allot Mike!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Oh hell no man. He broke the transmition make him pay for it ,or have his shop rebuilt it. Don't take that low blow my friend I think that he was playing with your car too hard and that was the consecuence. The T56 is one of the best trannys ever built so don't take the cheap excuse "No it was a not me".
Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it is unfortunate your experience you had, if it was me in the same situation I would not offer to replace your tranny either. I have had a few cars let lose on me while tuning as well as the transmission going to crap. These are not at the tuners fault, so why would they help repair the damages? This is just my opinion as I don't see anything really he did wrong unless he "physically" somehow junked your tranny, which I can't see.

I had a customer drive 2hrs on a new motor with around 2k miles on it. It drove great for that time frame. We didn't make it 2 blocks from the garage and it spun a bearing. Who's at fault on that? Just trying to put things in perspective as most customers think the last person to touch the car is responsible. That is the case in some situations, but think of all the other people that have had their hands in/on it.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Block writing gives me head aches....
Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I highly doubt Mike did anything wrong to the tranny. He tuned my car and I didnt have one issue. He was very carefull and will be retuning it when he comes down this weekend. I need it retuned cause I have added a few more mods. Sometimes things just go bad. I have seen customers cars have issues that were hidden untill someone actully took the time to look for them and then the customer tries to blame us for breaking them when in fact all we did was find the problem.

I also just read that your running a supercharger. That adds a good bit of stress to the tranny running those horse power levels. I assume that it was a stock tranny?

Last edited by texinteg; 08-21-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Its possible that Mike blew your tranny......its also just as possible that your tranny happened to blow while with Mike.....the problem is there is no way to know which, but if he is being that defensive and making things up then it is suspicious
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its very unfortunate about your transmission, but I am not sure you can really blame the issues on Mike. Street tuning doesn't require powershifting, or beating on the car. FWIW, when I had New Era do work on my car Mike was very quick to call me when he saw an issue, and was worried. He always wanted to let me know right away. Sometimes stuff just breaks at unexpected times, it may be nothing more then coincidence that it broke at the time New Era had the car.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

I never once said that the transmission was grinding , I told you that it stuck in first gear in a parking lot after I reflashed the pcm (after a 3 mile drive) and once again after a few more miles , and that I heard what sounded like a rubbing noise a couple of times when it was in third and first gear at low rpm driving and that I was pretty much done tuning anddidn't want to drive it any more becasue I wasn't sure what was wrong , I have never worked on this car , just tuned it . My story never changed , yours did . The drive tuning was only to clear up a part throttle hesitation issue and some idle tuning , there was no need to go WOT so it was dropped off already having issues if it sticks in 1st gear after a 3 mile drive .

When you race a car literally every week for 5 yrs and 583 rwhp with a stock transmission you are pushing it , to pin this on me for driving the car down the street never going above 45 mph and the thing sticking in gear the first time I pulled over to reflash is rediculous . If I felt I was at fault I would be more than happy to take care of it .
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Didnt pay attention to your mods, Dude, if youre pushing 600hp then the stock tranny is gonna go eventually, it sounds like it just happened to go while it was out with him. gotta pay to play
Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mondi,

In the sponsor section they said you are making close to 600rwhp and race it every weekend. Sounds to me like the 1/2 keys broke as well as the 3/4 and that is the material that you are seeing. While it is possible that it is worse and will be more expensive, it should not be to bad of a fix unless the gears need to be replaced. Since you race it every weekend or close to it there is a possibility that the synchro teeth on the gears are going to be pretty worn and you wil have to replace the gears.

I would hope for the best and expect the worse. Most of the time it is not to complicated but no shop out there will pay for a rebuild even if it was there problem while they were driving. Most shops make you sign a waiver saying they are not responsible and as unfortunante as it is you are going to have to pay for the rebuild. Hope you get the car worked out as it sounds like a monster.

Thanks,
Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Sounds like your stock trans ran it's course. Time to get a nice rebuild from Joe & Amber. A stock trans won't take that kind of power forever.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you drag race a T56, it WILL break.
you have a good clutch, and power... it WILL break.

dont freak about it breaking.. it really doesnt matter.. today or tomorrow, eventually they WILL break.

the only diff between a T56 and other, weaker transmissions like the T5, is they last a bit longer before they need to be rebuilt... and the T5 will break major hardparts(gears, case, etc), while the T56 generally breaks "disposable" parts... the gears and case dont usually break.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's important to keep in mind that all of this started when the car was brought in for a "re-tune".

First, let's define the terms that we are talking in: The first time dynotune at New Era is full price. However, New Era offers "re-tunes" for customers that make changes to their combination (new heads/cam/more boost, etc..) and then would like to have it re-tuned. The "re-tune" is only $100 and normally only takes 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

The owner wanted a re-tune based on making some changes. Spending an 8 hour day trying to accomidate the abnormal tuning requests (multiple PCMs, MAF, SD) is going FAR beyond the definition of a "re-tune". Mike goes above and beyond for the customers needs; however, these requests are just walking all over New Era's services. If I spent 2 days on a $100 "re-tune" based on the customers "out of the ordinary" requests, I'd ask for a bit more than $50.

Quick Reply: Mike at New Era blew my T56 Transmission!