LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

C5R Block VS Standard LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5R Block VS Standard LS1

Can the C5R block be swapped out for a standard LS1 Block or are their differences in the water jackets/heads lining up etc? I'm wondering because I've got a 427 built by MMS. It's got a cracked block or head (I think it's in the block). It slowly loses pressure in a coolant pressure test. Even though the engine has less than 700 miles on it MMS says it's it's not thier problem.. but that's a different story. The heads are being tested today and the block will be tested Monday if the heads are ok. I'm thinking of reusing the valvetrain, rotating assembly and heads on a C5R block if it's possible. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2003, 07:13 PM
7 Second Club

Default Re: C5R Block VS Standard LS1

I think every thing bolts up.A C5R block is big money $6500.00 for a bare block.I would be chatting with MMS about this.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Launching!

It's definitely the block. There's a tiny crack in the sleeve and block at the thinnest part of the cylinder wall. Bummer.

I think every thing bolts up.A C5R block is big money $6500.00 for a bare block.I would be chatting with MMS about this.
I have Al says "there's no warranty on nitrous engines." It doesn't matter that I haven't run nitrous. It's not even installed yet. I didn't get the intake back from NX until April (direct port). I was still breaking it in last month when this happened... less than 700 miles on it. After a year and a half of waiting on mods (th400, engine, rear end, etc... waited at least three months for each...) I've had it. Considering the time, money, and warranty, I'm not dropping another dime into these cars. It's just not worth it. Next time I'll buy a Z06 and just be happy driving it.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:55 PM
7 Second Club

I understand your frustration,had a similar situation with Strope Speed Shop.You can get a big-bore sleeved block from ARE for about $2300.00 and use the stuff you have.They have a proven product.Give Barry a call at 905-420-9195, you have too much invested to throw in the towel.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

DONT GIVE UP!!! U guys CAN work it out. Terry Burger is always boasting how good service and everything else is at MMS, now THIS would be a good time to show it. I have had some bad luck recently and my new 409 bored & stroked comes with a year warranty. Good Luck from what I understand MMS is a good reptutable shop so heres to that! Good Luck!
Old 06-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Launching!

I understand your frustration,had a similar situation with Strope Speed Shop.You can get a big-bore sleeved block from ARE for about $2300.00 and use the stuff you have.They have a proven product.Give Barry a call at 905-420-9195, you have too much invested to throw in the towel.
Well, I've already planned on getting a new block from Moore Performance. He's closer than MMS, guarantees the block (tests it with a ford deck plate for any leaks), and is well known by the guy who's been working on the car. The guy who's been working on it is Brad Brand from Atlanta Chassis Dyno. He's set two world records in the last year in the 10.5 class... I've got a lot of faith in him. ...and considering how long it took MMS to get my motor to me and then the intake from NX (which I bought from MMS), I'd rather go with someone local and trusted. I'm not trying to dis the sponsers of the board but... ****, I've got $18,000 invested in this engine and nitrous setup and so far I've seen about 700 miles on it. Al (at MMS) already told me he's going to do nothing about it.. what can I do?

I do have to compliment Strange and FLP, the 12 bolt and driveshaft from Strange and the TH400 from FLP work great. Being in a wheelchair (no use of my legs) I was worried about having to shift the TH400 all the time but man, it works great. There's really less shifting than I thought. And, the Gearvendors OD, works great too... ah, one day I'll have it back and it'll actually work.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally think that is some BS, you only have 700 miles on your engine and they will not help you out. Sounds like a definite flaw on there part. I guess you could spend a few grand with MMS and have them give a POS engine for use with nitrous and it is not their fault. Well, this may only be an isolated incident and I have only heard one side of the story but I don't think I will EVER buy anything from MMS. Money is too hard for me to come up with to just give it to someone and not get any kind of service or product in return.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

i cant believe i am hearing this..

i always thought MMS was a halfway decent company. i know there is no sponsor bashing allowed, but i can say that after this and a few other things i have heard.. i will never spend a dime with them.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:48 AM
TECH Regular

i cant believe i am hearing this..

i always thought MMS was a halfway decent company. i know there is no sponsor bashing allowed, but i can say that after this and a few other things i have heard.. i will never spend a dime with them.
Some of you people take what is said on here like its advice from God himself. Im not calling BS or anything, but you hearing one side of the story and all of the sudden you come to the conclusion that MMS is the devil. Like I said, im not saying this guys' story is complete BS, but at least hear both sides of a story before you go making judgements like that.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have to compliment Strange and FLP, the 12 bolt and driveshaft from Strange and the TH400 from FLP work great. Being in a wheelchair (no use of my legs) I was worried about having to shift the TH400 all the time but man, it works great. There's really less shifting than I thought. And, the Gearvendors OD, works great too... ah, one day I'll have it back and it'll actually work.
That's cool. My brother-in-law runs a TH400 behind his NOS fed 454 in his '68 Camaro. He is in a wheelchair also. He does complain about shifting though. Just because the old car gets a little more squirly. There is another guy on the board in a wheelchair that I know of. His name is Bryce from Arizona. He runs 10's I believe. We met him at the Spring Break Shootout. He was a really nice guy. Hope you get eveything worked out. How's that overdrive?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well then i suggest mms step up to the plate.
ill ad this if you bought *as is* then you probally got it cheap and thats what happens. now if there is no warranty for a nitrous engine(seems odd that if its build for it then there should be some kind of coverege. really what if the second time its started 6 pistons shatter? there should be something) now being 700 miles and no nitrous and there block problems? to me its shady. there are to sides to a story. this is true. ive heard on side and till i hear the other side i will believe iateyourcat. is mms can step up and present their side than my decision is based on who i think is telling the truth or at least most of it. like a juror

to the authur, sorry to hear that and its a same. good luck on getting it back to par. no matter what something will be used for if your paying big bucks make sure you get some kind of support and service. there are good places and people still out there just hard to find.
good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agree, MMS should step up to teh plate...
Old 06-14-2003, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i know who I won't be buying anything from. There not even man enough to come in here and explain their side. That's proof enough for me.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Launching!

[quote
That's cool. My brother-in-law runs a TH400 behind his NOS fed 454 in his '68 Camaro. He is in a wheelchair also. He does complain about shifting though. Just because the old car gets a little more squirly. There is another guy on the board in a wheelchair that I know of. His name is Bryce from Arizona. He runs 10's I believe. We met him at the Spring Break Shootout. He was a really nice guy. Hope you get eveything worked out. How's that overdrive?

[/quote]

The OD works great. Without the OD the car was running right around 3250 at 70 on the highway. With the OD kicked in that drops down to about 2600 which is pretty noticable. I got about 18mpg on the first tank which was a mix of suburb and country roads. I never got to drive a tank through it on the highway but I'd hope for 25mpg.

That 454 must haul some ***
Old 06-14-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Good luck on your new setup whatever it is, It seems that MMS has had some problems in the past with customer service, I hope they work this out for you, that is too much money to throw away.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I try not to take sides during a problem, I'd like to hold off on anymore negative comments until we get some info from MMS.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Launching!

I've got another question. Should the sleeves be perfectly flat against the top of the block? 4 of 8 cylinders are betwen 2 and 4 thousands recessed into the cylinder.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

john, could you point MMS to this post...from the title, I doubt that they'd know to come in. I think allot of people would like to hear both sides of the story.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Ordered the C5R block from Scoggin Dickey this afternoon. With any luck it'll be done and installed by Next Wednesday. WoohOO!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got another question. Should the sleeves be perfectly flat against the top of the block? 4 of 8 cylinders are betwen 2 and 4 thousands recessed into the cylinder.
I have always thought that they were suppose to be perfectly flat against the top but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: C5R Block VS Standard LS1