LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Car Tuning Turbo Kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wink Car Tuning Turbo Kit installed

Over the past few weeks I have been installing the Car Tuning Turbo Kit. Fit and finish is excellent and instructions were easy to follow. Let me just say that the kit is top notch and the customer service from Kevin at Cartuning has been over the top. They truly go the extra mile. www.cartuning.ca

There were a few minor modifications as the Monte Carlo is set up a little different than the Grand Prix. The first one is the sway bar is different which interfered with the down pipe. Car Tuning will be making a new down pipe for the Monte Carlo or you can take the route I did and upgrade to the GXP sway bar and end links. I believe the Impala may use the same sway bar as the Monte Carlo too. This does require welding tabs on your struts to attach the end links to or from what I can tell you could just get struts for a Grand Prix that will already have the tabs welded to them. I took measurements and the struts measure out the same, just no tabs on the Monte Carlo strut. Grand Prix sway bar opens up some room too and supposedly will help the car handle better.

I also had to cut the inner fender area open near the factory air box area like the Grand Prix to run the pipe up from the intercooler. Easy enough to do, just use a air body saw or other cutting device.

I have HS 1.8 rockers on the car and had yellow ls6 valve springs. The valve springs could not handle the boost, so I upgraded to Patriot Gold springs and no more valve float. Stock rockers and springs should be okay for most.

Now on to performance. The car pulls harder than anything I have driven or raced to date. With the cutout open, the car is a monster! Cutout closed I'm at 5lbs of boost and with it open we jump up to 8lbs. I will be bringing it up to 10lbs come spring and you get about 30 whp per pound of boost. Should put me close to 500 hp or more depending!

I have a 90 Mercury Cougar with a M90 Supercharged v6 that runs high 11's and the Monte definitely pulls much harder. I can only imagine how hard it would pull if I would have had time to mount up my drag radials. Kevin at Cartuning estimated my whp to be around 425hp with some data that was logged.

Now on to the somewhat bad news. Input shaft on my tranny broke when I hit second gear on Sunday. This should not be the norm as Jay's GXP went over 10000 miles on the pre-production turbo kit and stock tranny. I've spent some time at the track with the Monte prior to the turbo and this more than likely weakened the shaft and caused the break. Anyways I was planning on having the transmission done over the winter so no big deal except I would have liked to hit the track once to lay down some et's before the snow hit.

All I can say is save your money and buy the kit!!!! Pics soon....

Last edited by supercatxr7; 11-19-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow 3 more PSI when the cutout is open...that's a lot....I know the stock exhaust/headers are crappy but geez...

Lucky s.o.b....wanna throw 6K my way!!!

Too bad you didn't get to drive her more...just a big tease like you said before winter. 1st turbo LS4 Monte...hopefully more to come!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only part that is stock on my exhaust is the manifolds. I have no resonator and a Magnaflow catback. But still they are a plug!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE. I fully expect vids when she's back on the road. Look forward to seeing what she can do at the track too once spring rolls around.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ran a 13.0 1/4 mile with drag radials without the turbo kit, so I'm expecting some mid 11's maybe more.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Launching!

nice...i wish I had 10 grand to put into the car between the kit and tranny!!!

keep us updated!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man...YOU KNOW I CAN'T WAIT FOR VIDEOS!!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WoW!! Another turbo'd LS4!!
Life can't get no better than this! This is a nice, clean, well done job here!! Good werk Supercatxr!

This is sexelent!

P.S. I can feel the the haters getting worried with sweaty palms and forehead.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Too bad about the tranny

Good to hear that you had so few issues with the install and your impression about kit quality and customer support!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

errrrrr must avoid blowing 10 grand on this car...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07carlocrusader
WoW!! Another turbo'd LS4!!
Life can't get no better than this! This is a nice, clean, well done job here!! Good werk Supercatxr!

This is sexelent!

P.S. I can feel the the haters getting worried with sweaty palms and forehead.

actually, it is the same unit as the first, as in used, so there is still only one on the road, at least of people who post on here.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Somone DID buy a new one though, I can't remember who though. I thought he was the one that got the new one but maybe I'm wrong. But I do remember someone buying Jay's and then someone else saying they were too late in talking to him about it so they bought a brand new one.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah...that does sound familiar now that you mention it.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep Supercat bought the new one!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, mine is new.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Yes, mine is new.

I thought this was true........
GXPJAY had the traditional wear/rust on the cross over & what-not.
This is a fresh install, so new, it seems as if it could still have some stickers on it somewhere!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

i was wondering when i would see this post, looks pretty good. There are 3 other turbo ls4s i know about just here in ontario so i'm sure theres more out there.
I can't wait till i can save up that money, my car is gutted i would love to see what it would do with a turbo
Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

My pipes weren't coated which is why it looked "rusty" although they are stainless pipes so not really rusted

My trans lasted until we decided to build it just to be safe and it's been strong ever since. Car is back to stock now, I was going to sell it......but when it came down to selling I couldn't do it :o so she's getting build in spring (Cam/heads/Custom Cartuning Turbo kit) hoping for 650-700whp It feels good knowing that the trans is built and now I can push a lot more power and not worry.

I will say, these are upgrades you NEED when rebuilding a trans:

-1" GMR chain, don't get a 7/8th or 15/16th, go for the 1" right away
-New torque converter, stock one sucks *****
-300m input shaft

The rest of the upgrades are standard stuff with some shops having secret tricks to make things better.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kevin mentioned you were going back to a turbo kit after looking at the other car options out there. 650-700hp will really move! I'll be having Kevin at Cartuning rebuild the tranny for me with the 300m shaft and 1" chain.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
My pipes weren't coated which is why it looked "rusty" although they are stainless pipes so not really rusted

My trans lasted until we decided to build it just to be safe and it's been strong ever since. Car is back to stock now, I was going to sell it......but when it came down to selling I couldn't do it :o so she's getting build in spring (Cam/heads/Custom Cartuning Turbo kit) hoping for 650-700whp It feels good knowing that the trans is built and now I can push a lot more power and not worry.

I will say, these are upgrades you NEED when rebuilding a trans:

-1" GMR chain, don't get a 7/8th or 15/16th, go for the 1" right away
-New torque converter, stock one sucks *****
-300m input shaft

The rest of the upgrades are standard stuff with some shops having secret tricks to make things better.
I'm sorry I just can't imagine why you would sell a good turbo kit for cheap, just to go back to it??? Its beyond comprehension for me! I can see you going to a N/A set up instead, but if you already had the turbo, why in the hell did you sell it???? Was it a mistake, I know I read that you were going to sell your car, but why the change of heart? The only thing you have going for you right now is the trans! Am I right? I believe I have read all the posts about the awesome power of the turbo, but it boggles me as to why you would sell it with out the needed trans, and also I did read that you would swap trans' for and extra amount of monies, don't remember how much though. So why the change of heart??? I just don't see a front wheel drive living up to your expectations of 6-700 whp?

Quick Reply: Car Tuning Turbo Kit installed