LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Ported Head on LS4 - Any results?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported Head on LS4 - Any results?

I know a few folks have ported heads on fwd LS4 vehicles. Has anyone posted dyno results? The Texas heads that I saw online claimed 50whp gains, but I am skeptical.

Anyone have results? Will everything else still work with these Texas heads (i.e. DOD, etc)? Any downside?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Biggest downside is transmission strain basically. Our transmissions are basically maxed out handling the ~270 WHP we make now. I'd worry about second gear just completely shredding if that got bumped up to 320 WHP.

50 horse gain at the wheels doesn't seem entirely outrageous. I'd be a little skeptical until I saw some hard proof, but I won't call it impossible.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I knew our tranny's were on the edge, but the power from a ported head seems like great bang for the buck.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
Biggest downside is transmission strain basically. Our transmissions are basically maxed out handling the ~270 WHP we make now. I'd worry about second gear just completely shredding if that got bumped up to 320 WHP.

50 horse gain at the wheels doesn't seem entirely outrageous. I'd be a little skeptical until I saw some hard proof, but I won't call it impossible.
A stop being a baby, my FWD 4t65e was beefed to handle my 340fwhp and well over that in torque. Intense, zzp and wbs all have parts out there to make them stronger. I run low 12s all day long on mine, yank stall and all the hard parts.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you post a link for those texas heads? i was thinking of porting my heads in the spring(along with many other things). i might as well ust get some prefabed.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BanditTA
A stop being a baby, my FWD 4t65e was beefed to handle my 340fwhp and well over that in torque. Intense, zzp and wbs all have parts out there to make them stronger. I run low 12s all day long on mine, yank stall and all the hard parts.
Mine decided to nuke itself after 20k miles, so my replacement gets babied. Beside I'd rather toss money into my CTS-V fund than blow it on the GXP.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

I will let you know in the spring when we throw heads/cam/bigger turbo/etc. on the car

Will be no DoD here though
Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
I will let you know in the spring when we throw heads/cam/bigger turbo/etc. on the car

Jesus that will be **** ton of power behind that GXP. You modifying the half shafts at all?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

I saw your car on the GP site and the dyno video (very cool). I thought I saw a thread a while back saying you were selling the car. Had a change of heart?

Originally Posted by GXPJAY

Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

I sold the turbo kit, I had everything else (built tranny, stereo, suspension etc, etc,) still but I wanted to sell the car. I looked and looked and when I factor in the money I would lose trading my car in or selling it and then the extra on top of that to get a different car, it REALLY didn't make sense.

And as weird as it will sound, driving it without the turbo is really not that bad (As a whole, it sucks big time when I step on the gas of course..lol) So I decided to just keep it.

So we (Cartuning and I) will be building it up more for next spring. The trans will get rebuilt with a couple more things just to be safe and we'll do heads/cam and a custom "race" version of the turbo kit hoping for over 700whp but we'll see when the time comes I'm not much of a E-racer lol. Should be fun

I wanted to sell because of the crazy stupid racing laws here in Ontario, Canada but realized this is still just a really nice car and I don't have to drive like an *** monkey even if I have a lot of power.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I bet driving that thing WITHOUT the turbo is like having a superpower taken away. Nice car either way.

Quick Reply: Ported Head on LS4 - Any results?