LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Has anybody replaced their own waterpump or does anyone know what's involved?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anybody replaced their own waterpump or does anyone know what's involved?

Hi all.
My Water pump is peeing out of the weephole now. I'm off all week, so I thought about tackling this myself, but I haven't the foggiest idea what all I need to do. I don't have a lift or a ton of tools, so it may be a bad idea and I may need to take it to a shop, but I'd at least like to know what's involved so I know what all I need to do. Any thoughts? Anybody have a manual on one of these? Also, if the engine needs to be dropped, I might decide to do some while-I'm-at it stuff to the car (e.g., cam)

Thanks,
BJ
Old 12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like you can do it without removing the engine and no special tools seem to be required.

removal:
drain cooling system, remove battery and battery tray, remove drive belt, remove water pump bolts, remove the water pump and gasket, discard gasket, clean and inspect mating surfaces.

install:
install water pump and new gasket, tighten the bolts to 10 N-m (89 in lb), install the drive belt, install battery tray and battery, fill cooling system.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I thought the WP was an simple replace, but don't know if easy is the word with the engine sandwiched in there.

Thinking the belt will be fun to replace this summer.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks neilownz. That makes me a little more confident. I also have some 1.8 Scorpion rockers in a box waiting for me to install them, so this might be the time to do that. I'm not really sure how tough that'll be. I've heard i need to buy some springs, and maybe some pushrods. Anybody know? Either way, the WP is priority 1, so again, any helpful info would certainly be appreciated. I also searched on here and found that there is apparently a special tool required to replace the drive belt and another special tool required for the springs. I have a limited time frame to complete the work (have to have it up and running before the Monday after Christmas).
Thanks,
BJ
Old 12-21-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how the DOD lifters will like the added lift of the 1.8rrs. The springs im not sure i would trust either. They are only LS1 springs, not the LS6 springs.

When i removed the water pump i notced there was what looked like some sort of sprung hydralic tensioner. It was way at the bottom of the engine and needs to be removed with a large allen wrench to be re-compressed (if it has to or can be). It looked tricky to me. If you need any pics of the engine i have it sitting in my dining room with the entire front off. I can mock up and pics you need.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can push down on the tensioner from inside the fender well with a pry bar to release tension on the belt and remove it.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

ahh i didnt look at that part. EN-47988 Serpentine Belt Tension Unloader tool is needed.
remove passanger side diagonal brace, reposition fuse box if more clearance is needed, rotate it clockwise. looks like theres a place to put it by the little bottom left pully if the engine was a conventional mounted one ensuring that its under the drive belt.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easier to work a pry bar in there and less expensive! OTC tool will not work, need GM tool for belt tensioner. Take off wheel and plastic panel that covers harmonic balancer and such. You will see the spring for the tensioner. Use a pry bar and push down on the top of the spring area and pull off the belt.

Quick Reply: Has anybody replaced their own waterpump or does anyone know what's involved?