LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

55K mile life of ball joints.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 55K mile life of ball joints.

Yep, at a mere 54K miles, the ball joints are totally shot in my Impy. Did not see anything else jump out at me when I searched the forum regarding them failing, so maybe not a common failure, but from the condition of them, I would urge everyone to have them checked out. Not next week, or next month, or when it gets warm, but NOW. Crappy design is my guess, so most likely a lot more like mine out there.

Have a good one,

D.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the thing about ball joints and tie rod ends. There is no set change out practice, they're shot when they're shot. Driving conditions, temperature, and environment, along with I'm sure many other variables play into it. I do all my own scheduled maintance, but I do have my tires rotated and balanced every 6K miles @ Discount Tire, (I purchased there tire certs @ 6K miles) but that's the only thing that is done by someone else, other than warranty work. When I change my oil also every 6K miles (I run Mobile 1) I check all ball joints and tie-rod ends. It a good practice to get into. If you want to know how to do this I will tell ya. First jack up one side of the front end, till tire is off the ground, then to check tie rods you move the tire front to rear on a horizantal plain. If there is excessive movement, have a pro double check it and if he says they are bad, then you now know what to look for on tie rods! Now for ball joints try to move the tire up and down on a vertical plain, as with tie rods if you think there might be excessive movement have a pro double check. Good luck! Hope it helps.

EDIT, I except no responsibilty for any actions that you do or may do to your vehicle.

Last edited by LS4SPEED; 01-11-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Responsibility
Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine were toast at 10K
Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Do not jack it up under the control arm to check ball joints. The suspension needs to be unloaded.