LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Best GXP A/S tires

Old 02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best GXP A/S tires

I've been searching like crazy and I can't get a straight answer. Looking for all-season tires that can handle Chicago winters. Don't want to replace with stock tires. That means the fronts need to be 255/45-18 and the rears will be 235/50-18.

I've looked at Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S. I've read that they are noisy, have a shortened tread life, and really start to suck as they wear.

Also was looking at Falken ZE-512's. Heard great things about traction, but very short tread life, and possibly some noise.

Is there any good all-season tires for our cars?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

I have Michelin Pilot Primacy tires. They ride good and handle just as good a the Bridgestones. I have 255/45 17's front and back. They have been going strong for 25,000 miles and don't have very much wear at all.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Teching In

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats cool, but I would perfer to keep the stock staggered sizes since I'm still running stock wheels. The selection gets limited when you are trying to find two different size tires in the same size. Heres what I have found for all-season tires in the stock sizes (255/45-18, 225/50-18) not including the OEM Bridgestones:

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S

Tire Rack: $800.25 shipped, also have $50 mail in rebate = $750.25

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

Tire Rack: $717.42 shipped

Now if you stick with the same front size, but step the rears up to 235/50-18's, your options open up big time:

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S

Tire Rack: $827.33 shipped, also have $50 mail in rebate = $777.33

Kumho Ecsta ASX

Tire Rack: $582.69 shipped

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Tire Rack: $907.10 shipped

Falken Ziex ZE-512

Discount Tire Direct: $606 w/free shipping

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season

Discount Tire Direct: $800 w/free shipping, $50 mail in rebate = $750

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Discount Tire Direct: $886 w/free shipping, $70 instant rebate = $816

I've done a lot of reading and here is what I have gathered from customer reviews:

Goodyear: noisy, possible poor traction as tire wears

Falken: Great tire, consistent premature wear

Kumho: Known for flat spotting when parked, hard to stay in balance

Haven't come across any good reviews on the Michelin yet because they are pretty new on the market.

If you have any opinions, please share them. Right now I'm either leaning towards the Falkens or the Goodyears.

Last edited by speedshifter; 02-01-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, after another almost 2 hours of researching, I pretty much ruled out all the tires besides the Goodyears and the Michelins. All the rest have undesireable issues.

I dug deep in the reviews over at tire rack and found several happy GXP owners with the Goodyears. Like I said before, there aren't many reviews on the Michelin's, but Tire Rack did test them. Overall they scored slightly higher than the goodyears because they are a smoother ride and a bit quieter. The performance numbers however favor the Goodyear. Better handling, and better stopping. The Michelin also does have a slightly higher wear rating.

Ultimately, I'm going to go with the Goodyears. I don't need my car to ride like a luxury car, and the fact that I can retain the OEM size in the rear is a plus in my book. For the minor diffrerences in the Michelins, I can't justify spending the extra ~$65.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know this car costs a big chunk every month and my car has 31k the tires look ok, it was a rental before it hit the dealership the tires seemed new which leads me to believe that someone threw a new set on, overall the stocks aren't bad, we just hammered with snow here in Cleveland and my car sucks. luckily the v8 power and turning traction control gets me out of a jam. but they need to go at some point.I wonder how big the difference is if i just went with one size all the way around. the staggered sizes a good theory that works but i don't think its worth going thru tires all the time. l. but ive been been to alot of forums and read about these cars the only other tire than stock that seems to work, is the goodyear eagle f1s a/s. and i dont care what anyone says this isnt a luxury car. Its a sport sedan. if i could go back in time i would have just waited for a g8 but there's something about this car that keeps me in love.but the whole tire sitatuion for this car is pretty f-ed up, the best bet is go with one set for winter and one set for summer. best way to do it period.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Teching In

I got 4,000 miles on myset of Goodyears on my 08 GXP. The rear tires are very noisey, and there isnt a thing I can do about it except for turning the radio up very loud. If you decide on the Goodyears the rears might be noisey. I bought them from Tirerack last August abd still havent seen the 50 dollar rebate I sent in. They screwed me on the rebate and made some tires that makes my car sound like a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant. Remember, this is the company that fucked up the Brickyard 400 last year at Indy.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Yeah.... The noise factor for me is the biggest reason I wouldn't go with the goodyears.

If I wanted all that noise I'd buy a truck.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i'd get the bridgestone blizzaks on the bottom of tire rack and then keep the pontenzas for everything else, a winning combination in my book
Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

F1 A/S, can't beat them. Several of us run them and love them without so called problems. As I have mentioned in other threads, they are a little noisier, but I can't really hear them over the exhaust.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigalnash
ya i'd get the bridgestone blizzaks on the bottom of tire rack and then keep the pontenzas for everything else, a winning combination in my book

My front potenzas are bald and the RR has a plug in the outside tread. I just bought the car and have to get all new tires. The blizzaks would rock in the snow, but suck for the other 3 seasons. Probably noisier that the F1 A/S' could be. I hear you all that the F1's could be noisy, but there aren't any other really good options out there from a reputable tire maker.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

What about this tire?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Don't get the 512s... I thought the Kuhmos were okay.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastLS4
They don't make the size for the front.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedshifter
My front potenzas are bald and the RR has a plug in the outside tread. I just bought the car and have to get all new tires. The blizzaks would rock in the snow, but suck for the other 3 seasons. Probably noisier that the F1 A/S' could be. I hear you all that the F1's could be noisy, but there aren't any other really good options out there from a reputable tire maker.
how many miles on the car when u got it? i firmly believe that the stockers are still the longest lasting best tire for this car. snow is what kills em.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

37,2xx miles. Just bought it on 1/22/09.

I would love to put the OEM tires back on it, but they aren't well suited for snow driving. They also have all around poor traction in cold weather.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres what u do bro....,u got 37k out of those tires? u think ur gonna get that much with the f1's ?? probably not with their excessive treadwear issues, and there's only like what? 6 weeks left of winter? replace with the stockers since they've proved to last the longest, then u got 3 seasons to save up for winter tires. buy the stockers, then buy the blizzaks before next winter i guarantee you wont to worry about tires for awhile. best thing to do. theres no a/s tire that can give the performance of the pontenzas and last as long. for these cars at the moment
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for your opinion. I'd like to stay away from having a dedicated set of snow tires. I already have 4 road race tires/wheels and 2 drag radials sitting in my garage for my mustang. I could look into getting two crappy wheels for the front and putting blizzaks on them for winter time use. Then I could get all new potenzas for now and just leave the rear wheels alone when it comes to winter time.

Good suggestion!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

I have the F1's as well. Like is being said, the tires handle well, are great in the snow, and have an aggressive tread pattern. The only downside "so far" is the road noise, it is the worst on the highway when the engine is at low revs so you can actually hear it. Just drive with the stereo up and you won't have any issues, as long as you've got the Monsoon stereo you're set
Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sure do! I'm most likely just gonna take my chance with the F1's and live with the noise if there is any. Since I work at a dealer, if I do have noisy tires, I may be able to warranty them with our local Goodyear supplier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best GXP A/S tires