LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

torque converter locking up/slipping/dod issues??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter locking up/slipping/dod issues??

saturday i hop in my car, drive to the highway, and instanlly noticed something was wrong, from 50-80 mph it was like tryin to find which gear to go into, and it seems to do it when cold too, it slipped real bad this morning, but when it warms up it goes away

i have also noticed its shuttering at every speed, but when i stopped at the dearlship it coold down for 30mins and it drove home fine, no engine lights nothing of that, so is it the converter or is it also the dod goin batty

and iam fucked no warranty

dealership say i just cant buy a gm warranty, car has to be under gm warranty to buy the extended, how fucked am i now, not a good week
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does the same thing. It started doing this at about 48K miles and I now have 64K miles. I have nursed it for almost a year like this. It is getting re-built in about 3 weeks. It will all cost me about 2500 - 3000 dollars after all said and done. That is with all upgraded hi-performance parts too. Hate to say it but it's time for a re-build. Sad but true...

-Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** **** ****!!!!!, iam goin to call dealership and see how much it will be to diagnose it
anyone else with this problem
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Well check for metal shavings in the pan first, then look to the 'verter. Trannies are going sour these days.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i sure hope its not the tranny, i dont beat on the car, i dont drag race, normal driving and if it turns out to be the tranny iam fucked there is no way i can afford 3,000, no way

but when i went to the dealer tonight the finance person told me i can not buy gm warranty when the car is out of factory double whammy!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

could be a torque converter. We had an Impala SS a month or two ago that had a bad converter and pumped metal shavings thru the whole trans. It got a new converter and a complete rebuild.

What dealership did you go to? I see you are in Chicago. What year is your car and how many miles. Post your the last 8 of your VIN and a I can look up the history.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

For what it's worth Bdyman I never beat on mine either. I have only used tap-shift about 3 to 4 times and raced twice. These transmissions are not supposed to be mated with a V-8, plain and simple. Our cars have too much torque right off the bat that's why ours are breaking faster than other cars with the same trans. I have a modded GTP with a stock transmission and it is still fine with 139k miles on it. It only has a shift kit on it. I will say that compared with the GTP the GXP has much more torque off the line. The GTP's torque kicks in like crazy when the boost is up.

-Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedshifter
could be a torque converter. We had an Impala SS a month or two ago that had a bad converter and pumped metal shavings thru the whole trans. It got a new converter and a complete rebuild.

What dealership did you go to? I see you are in Chicago. What year is your car and how many miles. Post your the last 8 of your VIN and a I can look up the history.

i sent you a pm
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

I have a rebuilt (performance build) from Century transmissions with a loosened stock converter and mine is doing that searching crap too. My built 4k tranny is only 11 months old, but I am starting to worry about it. It searches back and forth a ton. I thought it might be just the trans tune, but from reading this, I could have a bigger "uh-oh". What do you all think?
BJ
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the dealer said there are 3 updates for this problem, i drop the car off in the morning, and i guess i will see what happens
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well well i never thought in a million yrs my car would have tranny issues, and put one more gxp on this borad for a rebuilt tranny, found out today, and hopefully i get my other problems fixed too

now this is the coolest thing, i have no warranty well thanks god the dealership we fix there cars for the manager is super dee duper cool, and is covering all repairs under warranty, when he told me this i wanted ti kiss him lol

so next week i get my car back, iam to upside down in the loan to get rid of it, and i have a toyota camary for a rental, it just really sucks i love the car but c`mon how many problems can one car have this is just redicoulus

and the manager has the caddy with the northstar and the same tranny and never one issue, how is this possible, but anyway iam glad its gettin fixed for free

any chicago land people go to castle pontiac, and see carl
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bdyman
and the manager has the caddy with the northstar and the same tranny and never one issue, how is this possible
Thats because he doesn't have the same trans as you. You have the 4T65E-HD, he has the 4T80E assuming his cadillac is front wheel drive.

Congrats on them good-willing the trans work! They usually wont do that unless you have been a loyal customer to them.

If you are gonna plug Castle Pontiac, then I'm throwing out one too: have your car serviced by me @ Bredemann Chevrolet in Park Ridge. We also do Pontiac's, Cadillac's, and anything else GM.

Last edited by speedshifter; 02-12-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good one
i think he did it becasue we have been working with them for so long, or becasue he knows iam a single dad or maybe becasue iam poor lol
either way iam just glad its getting fixed, and i still might use you for my other car,
Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Well here's a gem of news, my local Chevy dealership is closed now for good....I have to take the car to the cadillac dealer and they do all of my service now.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

what about the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the year of his car, and or if he bought it used, and from a GM dealer or not, it may or may not have been a certified car. Which would mean prolly no warranty.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Well here's a gem of news, my local Chevy dealership is closed now for good....I have to take the car to the cadillac dealer and they do all of my service now.
Watch out for the labor rates! They are a lot higher at cadillac. The Cadillac dealer I worked at was $154/hr when I left there. The chevy dealer I'm at now is $106.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

god damn!! i wish the labor rates would go up for us, hey matt if the dealer wont do the other problems iam having would you be interested in doin them, like the steering shaft, and going over bumps slowly or at average speed clunk clunk

if they dont you wanna do it
Old 02-14-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to bring it thru my shop thats fine, but I cant do sidework.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why?? no time no room, i would pay you what you want i can get the parts cheap,
on a side note
on my alero its a 03 with the 2.2 ecotec, a few yrs ago i installed a header, i did do a high flow cat why i dunno i was stupid, with a 02 sim after the cat, well had nothing but problems, so finally i got rid of the 02 sim, returned to a factory cat, replaced both 02 sensors, cleared the codes, and started to use mid grade gas

once in a while the light would come on, i would change the down stream sensor AGAIN, clear the code and iam all good, so the car sat for 3 yrs, and when i finished the car a few months ago, i ran the car until it died out no gas, filled it up with fresh gas, and the light hasnt been on since, and its running awesome, but..............after this week when he had that 60 degree day, took her down to the local bp, put 10bucks of the mid grade gas, going home boom light comes on i plug my scan tool in, low and behold downstream 02 sensor,

i changed it, cleared the code, but why, what is causing this, the header does not leak at all, the othe rmods i have are a 62mm tb, and a warm air intake, thats it, so why what is wrong with my olds

Quick Reply: torque converter locking up/slipping/dod issues??