LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

impala ss warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impala ss warranty question

last nite i was a little rough on my 08 ss and i ended up with no reverse. i was told by a freind that they can see in the computer how you have driven it and can void your warranty, is there any truth in that?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

If the failure caused a trans code to set, they can see what conditions set the code.

Honestly though, GM pays us real crappy to do trans work. Unless you are really good at rebuilding trans', you usually lose your *** on trans work (i.e.: it takes 8 hours to rebuild it and I only get paid 5.9 hours). So the reality is that the guy who gets your car, will just want to get your car fixed and not really care what conditions caused the failure. These 4T65E trans' commonly fail, so they wont investigate it unless you do something stupid like go drag racing with the car and then get it towed in with the slicks still installed.

I would recommend removing your programmer and return the ECM cal back to stock if you have an aftermarket one installed. They may check for that. Also, its a habit of trans guys to reprogram the TCM/PCM with update trans calibrations to prevent future failures. If you don't remove your aftermarket programs first, they will get wiped out by the dealership unintentionally.

If you have only no reverse, you probably smoked the band. They will probably replace the band and possible the drum that the band holds.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 AM

thanks man i've been sweatin bullets over this
Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

nah, no worries. Just dont tell them you were beatin on it. Play it cool, it will all be good.