LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Problems

I've been noticing a lot of people having trans problems. I was wondering is the problem just going on with the 2005 & 2006's or is all the year models 05-2008?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

All 4T65's pretty much have the same problems. P1811, od hub stripping, lube tube coming out, input piston, pc solenoid.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

05 with 60000 miles and not one problem.. I beat on her too.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

06 with 66,xxx miles, not one single problem either... I have driven her hard since I've owned it as well...

one of the guys I know at the dealership is a gear head, and he told me from the start, to just DRIVE it, don't baby it, don't worry about the "break-in" crap in the manuals, drive it normal - if ya wanna get on it, get on it, etc etc... it helps everything to "seat" properly and get situated to where it should be...

i've done that since I picked it up new - when I wanna get on it, I just do... and haven't had a lick of trouble with it...

so now I'm wondering, how many of you with tranny problems, actually followed the "drive like a granny" break-in period the manual tells ya about, and how many of ya have just driven it normal/hard since you've had it from the start??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
06 with 66,xxx miles, not one single problem either... I have driven her hard since I've owned it as well...

one of the guys I know at the dealership is a gear head, and he told me from the start, to just DRIVE it, don't baby it, don't worry about the "break-in" crap in the manuals, drive it normal - if ya wanna get on it, get on it, etc etc... it helps everything to "seat" properly and get situated to where it should be...

i've done that since I picked it up new - when I wanna get on it, I just do... and haven't had a lick of trouble with it...

so now I'm wondering, how many of you with tranny problems, actually followed the "drive like a granny" break-in period the manual tells ya about, and how many of ya have just driven it normal/hard since you've had it from the start??
You mean you read the manual??? I thought Manuals were for women. LOL J/K

I never tracked the car. Didn't follow the break in period. 37 000 miles and I am going in for them to check the tranny tomorrow. I did not baby the car, but did not drive like Jr. either.

Only issue I am having is when slowing down on the last down shift the car bucks a little. The faster you are going and the harder you brake the more it bucks.
If I slow down gradually you really don't feel it.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

that's the DOD I betcha...

put the car in 3 instead of D and see if it still does it...

betcha it won't do it... cuz DOD only works if you're in D...

my car does it too if I run the stock GM tune on the way to the dealership for any work... as soon as I put it in 3 to kick it out of 4 cyl mode, or put my tune back in that disables the DOD, it doesn't do it anymore...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
that's the DOD I betcha...

put the car in 3 instead of D and see if it still does it...

betcha it won't do it... cuz DOD only works if you're in D...

my car does it too if I run the stock GM tune on the way to the dealership for any work... as soon as I put it in 3 to kick it out of 4 cyl mode, or put my tune back in that disables the DOD, it doesn't do it anymore...
That is the first thing I thought, but it still does it in 3 and 2 but not in 1. Which leaves me to think it is the 2 to 1 down shift. But what do I know LOL.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

aaaah, ok...

hmmm, interesting...

Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I bet my **** like a red-headed step child, and pay for it. Master Brake cylinder failed just this week.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best rebuilder around is Dave at Triple Edge Performance in Indiana. He is currently building my tranny to harness the 500 hp I'm making with the turbo kit. Reasonable on pricing too and knows his stuff!

www.tripleedgeperformance.com
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Best rebuilder around is Dave at Triple Edge Performance in Indiana. He is currently building my tranny to harness the 500 hp I'm making with the turbo kit. Reasonable on pricing too and knows his stuff!

Around where?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fort Wayne, IN, check the website for info
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by supercatxr7

They're good.

ZZP can build a decent tranny as well.

A tranny cooler and a shift kit will help the life of your tranny

It's basically the same transmission as the GT/GTP's from 98+. Beefier chain is the only major difference IIRC.