LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Those of you w/the Vector heat soak kit...

Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those of you w/the Vector heat soak kit...

I just got mine today and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for installing this thing. I.E. where did you decide to drill and do you have any pics? Any do's or dont's. What about the grommet they supplied, did you use it or not? The one they sent me seems like a tight bitch. I can't seem to get the sensor to fit inside it.

Anyway, I know it's a pretty simple install. I'm just hoping to learn from other's experiences before I jump right in.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think what you do is drill out a hole in the rubber hose coupler from the kn filter to the maf on the cold side of the steel plate and route the wires through the hole. take it out so you dont make rubber pieces go to the maf screen and restrict air flow. not sure if you would need to use a grommet if you make the proper size hole in that coupler.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Launching!

I drilled the hole in the chrome lid part of the k&n filter. Didn't use the grommet because there is rubber behind the chrome lid and as long as you don't drill the hole too big its a tight fit. Noticed somewhat of a difference.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

8707, was there plenty of length to put it in that spot?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Yup yup
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

I ran mine through the side of CAI air box.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the hsrk sensor in the front of my grill in the tbss. There are pros and cons to it, I know. In my Impala, I ended up just wedging the sensor in front of the stock air box inlet so the tip of the sensor was just in front of the opening. When I installed a k&n kit, I placed the sensor, wiring attached, in the filter and slid the filter over the inlet tube making sure there was no/little slack in the wiring and the sensor was forward in the filter. Both places kept the sensor secure. A dashhawk is handy to determine what does and does not work.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
I have the hsrk sensor in the front of my grill in the tbss. There are pros and cons to it, I know. In my Impala, I ended up just wedging the sensor in front of the stock air box inlet so the tip of the sensor was just in front of the opening. When I installed a k&n kit, I placed the sensor, wiring attached, in the filter and slid the filter over the inlet tube making sure there was no/little slack in the wiring and the sensor was forward in the filter. Both places kept the sensor secure. A dashhawk is handy to determine what does and does not work.
I was wondering why nobody said to mount it in the grill....whats the problem with mounting it there? Wouldn't you see the most performance having it outside the hot area.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem with mounting it in the grill is that it doesn't cool down, once hot, until the car is moving, which then and only then flows cool air over the sensor. If the sensor is in the intake track, it cools down when the engine is running, sucking air over the sensor. Althogh the iat readings read the coldest with it in the grill and driving (trolling for a race on Friday/Sat night) they can also heat up when when the car sits on an warm day, then will not cool down until I start driving again. With the iat in the intake, the temps get even higher when sitting, but cool down faster, even cool down when starting the motor, but will soon start to soar after idling too long. However, I have learned from tuners that the computer will not pull timing until iat's reach over 80deg. I have a dashhawk and can read these no.s with the iat in diff spots, and can also quickly plug the stock harness back in and see the diff if any. I didn't have a dashhawk when I had the Impala, but I would bet the stock intake with the sensor in front of the inlet would bring the coolest air temps and not heat up as much at idle since it's so far away from the radiator (unlike the tbss). I think the k&n is an open hot air intake with pieces of metal acting as a heater around the air filter to warm the incoming air.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Smile

ok...now im curious.....where did u guys get ur piping done for the y @ 2.50 is it mend bent? And what kind of heat shield r u guys using to rap ur cross pipes....? And why is vector down on the web and is the kit ne good...
Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we get pic please.

Search this Thread