LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Impala SS Alignment and Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala SS Alignment and Tire Wear

I bought my '08 Impala SS used with 28k miles on it. The dealer had just put a new set of BFG tires on it when I bought it. I now have 33k miles.

The rear camber setting always looked strange to me (leans in at top) and the car pulled right so I decided to have an alignment done and tires balanced at my local Firestone joint. They recommended that I replace the rear tires because of wear on the inside edges. I took a look and they are really bad. WTF? Could a car less than a year old really have that bad alignment? I'm going to search here in a minute, but damn....I bet this is a common issue.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yep it is. When I put 22k on mine i blew a back tire on the freeway, went to change it and saw that the other one was showing wires. I had it aligned at the dealership and they gave me two tires for free. I've got 4 new tires now with about 23k on them and they're fine. Still have plenty on them.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What was out of spec? Was your toe out? Camber also? When I bought my Impala, the rear toe was out dramatically, but my rear camber is ok.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im goi ng to the dealer monday to have them replace my backs im down to the wires on the back left im going to have them check brake wear too because im getting grooves in my front rotors im also going to have them get the gunk out of the coolant resivoir
Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pauls325
im goi ng to the dealer monday to have them replace my backs im down to the wires on the back left im going to have them check brake wear too because im getting grooves in my front rotors im also going to have them get the gunk out of the coolant resivoir
Haha damn we all have the same problems. I have the dexcool gunk too, let me know if the dealership does anything about either of 3 issues. How many miles do you have?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

just under 16 k last time it was in i asked them to get rid of the gunk they said they did all they could but it was still there i stuck my finger in there and could get some of it with my finger so i bitched at them about it i think this time i might hang around and wtch them do the mantinence this time its too bad these cars have so many gremlins they look so good on the drawing board you know?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Is this an issue on all GP's and Impala's? Or just GXP's and SS's?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no problems with my Monte SS... I got 55k miles outta the stock RS-A's with no problems at all...

have about 11k miles on the new Eagle F1's and they still look like new...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-15-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked mine the other day. My insides are wearing quicker that my outside. insides 3/32 out sides7/32s
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Went to the dealer today looks like im buying rear tires anybody have suggestions i was thinking a harder compound this time im also getting front brake pads and having the front rotors turned the GM Tech said that the rotors are soft to get better performance also said that ceramic pads will just make deeper grooves faster and the coolant gunk is normal they put a clotting agent in there from the factory to prevent leaks

thanks for suggestions
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

i was thinking maybe going to tires that are a bit skinnier in the rear save some unsprund weight if i go to 215's you can save 6 lb per wheel i remember the correction factor to be like 8x so thats like losing almost a hundred pounds off the body
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
no problems with my Monte SS... I got 55k miles outta the stock RS-A's with no problems at all...

have about 11k miles on the new Eagle F1's and they still look like new...
I am hoping for the same milage. I am just under 40K now. The center tread look alittle worn in compared to the shoulders. I have my cold pressure set at 33...I think i'll drop it to 30...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Alot of new cars are out of alignment right from the git go. Think about how they ship the cars. Strap them down tight as hell and pound the suspension until it gets unloaded. not to mention they do not check all of them off the assembly line, they only check every so many
Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

From what I have read its the toe that is eating the rear tires not the camber. Yes the camber has the tires leaned in but it is suppose to be that way. I just replaced all 4 of my tires but the rears were to the cords on the inside. Had it aligned and the toe was out of spec. I guess I will see but mine made it to 30k before needing replaced. So looks like every two years or so I will will be dropping a grand on tires.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

i had this problem a few months ago which got me 4 new tires for free. In short my rear tires were wearing on the inside thread. I had 20,000 miles on the tires, i was pissed.. Also the handling went to crap. when it rained it felt like i was on ice.. It was very scary. Took it in and they said it was not aligned and got me two new tires, put them on the front and took the ones that were ok on the front and put them on the back.. 2000 miles later, i look at my rear tires and again they were wearing, andi mean fast. brought it in again and it came to them that the toe was way off. got 2 more tires and with 5,000 miles on them, no problems. My wheels are angled as much was they use to be anymore either.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Lots of these troubles.

This is a big problem on these cars. I have a 07' Impala that has had new tires at 20K, along with that an alignment. After 3000 miles the rear insides were bald. Took it back to the dealer again to complain. New rear tires a camber kit and alignment. Now 2000 miles later the rears are balding again. I had another alignment done and it was off again. So I raised cain with the dealer about this. I found out that this is an ongoing problem. The shop foreman, (who I have known and trust for 20 years) informed me that GM has replaced all state owned and patrol cars with a upgraded trailing arms. Is all you need to do is call 1-800-222-1020 and tell them the troubles. I have been dealing with GM on this item for 3 days and they are buying the parts installing them paying for tires and an alignment. So far all I have paid for is one tire. I was told by the shop foreman that it is a Highway Patrol package they are putting on. The other recall is all the window channel need to be replaced. GM even tried to say ours was the only Impala with these troubles, then they called several dealers and alignment shops to back up my story. I explained that I wanted compensation for this problem. 2000 miles and a $500 bill. I asked if they were willing to pay .25 a mile to drive their personal vehicles because that is what it cost me in tires and alignment. Good luck and dont hesitate to call. With some research they will pay for parts, labor and an alignment. After these parts were replaced on state cars and the patrol cars upgraded the tires wear great.
Shawn
Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Thats what they replaced on mine.. I was in 3 times with the issue of rear tire wear and my 3 time i printed out the TSB for the patrol cars and said this sounds and looks exactly the same to what i have. I know i dont have this trim but im sure they got the same suspension as us since it is a cop car.. They replaced them and after almost 10,000 miles the tires still look great..
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

My toe was out on my car. What about the GXP cars
Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM

2007 Impala rear tire thread wear - cupping

GM has told me after e sets of rear tires within 15,000 miles on each set that my problem is that I must be hitting potholes or something to knock my wheels out of alignment.
I must be hitting the same pothole at the same mileage point each time!!!
Gm has informed me after EXHAUSTIVE investigation that even though my VIN falls inside the range of affected police package cars, my problem is in no way connected to TSB 8032.
Your post seems to indicate that after calling the GM service line you got the problem resolved. If so, enlighten me on your technique.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the negative camber and toe, is supposed to be for "performance" or handling, well i dont think we are going to a nascar track now are we?? i see this **** on every gm i touch, i had mine realigned and i feel no difference at all, get a alignment and your all good

Quick Reply: Impala SS Alignment and Tire Wear