LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Alignment Question....

Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alignment Question....

I took my 07 MCSS to Midas today to get an alignment...the dealership put a new rack in a bout 2 weeks ago, and said that I would need an alignment.

Tried to save a few bucks by going to Midas instead of the dealer, but turns out the equipment my Midas has wont hook onto the wheels on my car....

So now for the question......Where can I take this car to get aligned???

Not sure if anyone has had this problem in the past or not...thanks guys/gals
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the dealer SHOULD have done it right then and there after they replaced the rack... mine did when I had mine done - it's part of the replacement rack job...

all that is required after a steering rack swap is to re-adjust the toe-in...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what i thought....I asked why they didn't cover it and they said it's not part of the warranty....and they want $89.99 plus tax, parts, lunch for the GM tech that does it, and the special we screwed you over charge....

Sorry little mad about this because I knew they should have done it there for free.

Should I call the dealer??? The car goes in Friday for something else....
Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well... all depends on what they did already...

after they replaced the rack, if they put it on the alignment machine and readjusted your Toe, then that's all they HAVE to do... that is the only part of an alignment that included in, and is required to do after, a steering rack replacement... so if they already did the Toe-in/Toe-out they're all done.

now, if you're asking for a regular 2 or 4 wheel alignment, and they want to charge you for that, then yes they should be charging you for it... that's not part of the rack job...

do you know if they did the Toe adjustment/alignment when they did the steering rack?

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh ok....they did set the Toe...but said I still needed an alignment...
Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok... yup, the actual 2 or 4 wheel alignment is extra and will cost ya...

Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a specialty tire shop. DunnTire in Buffalo does up to 20" wheels, and they have a AAA discount. I need to get mine in too...but just bought replacement struts and holding off to try to afford springs, too. No sense getting an alignment now if it will need it again after the install (and possible lowering).
Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Bryan, I've always taken my vehicles to firestone in town over by the circle. I haven't had my monte in there yet but they've done good work on my other vehicles. Might be worth a shot.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So i got her aligned but the rear two tires are worn to the cords on the inside edge....they were at -0.45 toe...

So Garber Chevy the local dealer I go to put two new wheels on the car in Feb...they say they balanced the tires when they mounted the wheels...so my next question is when you balance tires and wheels do they set the toe???
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, alignment is completely different that balancing.

My toe was about the same as yours when I aligned mine, I got feathering withing 1000 miles with new tires.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Launching!

There is no reason for an alignment after a balance. I do 2 wheel alignments for 59 and 4 wheel for 74.95 and i charge more than the local dealerships 90 is way high.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all said and done now...the dealership will not replace the tires even though they messed up the toe on the rear when they put the new wheels on.

It says in my printout that they set both front and rear toe, but the manager said I could have messed the toe up by hitting a bump....so whatever I am getting two new tires tomorrow BFGoodrich KDW for $323 installed out the door with a three year warranty...so live and learn, I guess get your alignment checked every 2-3 months.

Just sucks that I have pay for their mistake...wish GM wasn't in such trouble, they probably would have helped me out more. Thanks for all the help guys, all the info given helped me understand this all more...thanks again.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd do an alignment once a year, or whenever you get new tires. Just check your tire wear every oil change or so for uneven wear and feathering and cupping.

Search this Thread