Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM is closing down Pontiac

I figured Hummer, Saturn, and Buick would go before Pontiac. What a bummer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30431844/?GT1=43001
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, saab, hummer and saturn are goin bye-bye too, don't worry... heh....

==========================================

Fewer U.S. brands, nameplates, and dealers

As part of the revised Viability Plan and the need to move faster and further, GM in the U.S. will focus its resources on four core brands, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. The Pontiac brand will be phased out by the end of 2010. GM will offer a total of 34 nameplates in 2010, a reduction of 29 percent from 48 nameplates in 2008, reflecting both the reduction in brands and continued emphasis on fewer and stronger entries. This four-brand strategy will enable GM to better focus its new product development programs and provide more competitive levels of market support.

The revised plan moves up the resolution of Saab, Saturn, and Hummer to the end of 2009, at the latest.

===========================

and a LOT MORE people are going to be losing their jobs... 20,000+

here's their full press release...

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=53947

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

They need to make the G8 into the new Impala. It's too nice of a car not bring over.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

I hate to see Pontiac go down but Pontiac hasn't made GM money for awhile from what I read. Avg sell price for Pontiac was 22% off sticker verse 16% avg of other brands.

Resale for Pontiacs are crap. I got my 2008 GXP last year for 50% off sticker with only 9K miles on it and it was in perfect condition.

I've owned 4 Pontiacs (own 2 now) and all have been great cars. I just sold my 98 Firebird with 188K miles on it & was still a dependable daily driver that got over 20mpg city & 28-30mpg hwy.

As great as the Grand Prix GXP is I didn't even know about it until 8 months ago right after I bought my 04 GTP.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Rick, the new Impala for 2010 is going to be rear wheel drive. Not sure if that is true or not, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn I swear I didn't see this post until after I posted the same damn thing!
Time to remove it!! LOL!!

Originally Posted by beznich
Rick, the new Impala for 2010 is going to be rear wheel drive. Not sure if that is true or not, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Thats not going to happen,....they said that, but they later said that are just going to hold off on RWD for this car...
This suppose to be the RWD Impala A rebadged holden....

but that idea was back in 2007,...since then the "Claim" to have discontinued this plan...hopefully not!!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea don't hold your breath for a RWD Impala. I really think it will remain FWD, and they have eluded to that in the past. GM also said with this Pontiac announcement that no existing cars will crossover to a different brand. So that means you won't see the G8 as an Impala variant, or anything else.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07carlocrusader
Damn I swear I didn't see this post until after I posted the same damn thing!
Time to remove it!! LOL!!

Thats not going to happen,....they said that, but they later said that are just going to hold off on RWD for this car...
This suppose to be the RWD Impala A rebadged holden....

but that idea was back in 2007,...since then the "Claim" to have discontinued this plan...hopefully not!!

Thank god they didnt bring that car out thatlooks terrible to me!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah... looks like a Pew-ick....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea GM really sucks killing off Pontiac Why not GMC we do not need to different pick ups that are the same.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the American market....why are we keeping Buick again?

GMC should make no less than heavy commercial vehicles and save the little stuf for Chevrolet. GMC should make heavy class 8 over the road tractors.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because it makes more sense to get rid of the brand that's not selling. And Pontiac isn't. Although I guess you could make the argument against why we need Buick for the American market. But the fact that only half of the G8's that have been sent over have been sold doesn't help them out. It's GM's own fault they killed Pontiac by not offering anything that exciting aside from the G8 and Solstice recently. They got rid of the F-bodys so how are you really going to sell cars from the brand that's supposed to be your excitement brand when you're selling Grand Ams, Grand Prixs, Vibes, etc. Holden is really getting screwed by this. They were set to get something like 1 billion a year from this deal to bring G8's over. And they did a lot of work and converted a plant to solely make the left hand drive version of the car for over here.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree we don't need two different grills and call them two different trucks.

Impala will never be RWD. Look how Pontiac died when the Grand Prix was replaced by the G8.

Only a select market want the G8, and they're not buying them either
Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
For the American market....why are we keeping Buick again?

GMC should make no less than heavy commercial vehicles and save the little stuf for Chevrolet. GMC should make heavy class 8 over the road tractors.

cuz Buick is a HUGE money-maker for them over-seas, particularly China... they make big money on Buicks over there...

whereas essentially Pontiac = 0 ....

Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

buick is staying b/c a large percentage of elderly ppl buy buicks. Half of my family and girlfriends family either have a buick or a caddy.. Chevy is the heart of GM. GMC should go instead of pontiac. As for the Impala, from what i heard they were dropping the SS brand all together until they get there stuff together. Probably wont be seeing an ss impala for a while now.. Same with the caddy v series..
Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if we get a Regal GNX out of the deal I'll be happy... Gotta make it worth my while you know? Because as nice as they are, I don't want a Buick.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steveman0018
buick is staying b/c a large percentage of elderly ppl buy buicks. Half of my family and girlfriends family either have a buick or a caddy.. Chevy is the heart of GM. GMC should go instead of pontiac. As for the Impala, from what i heard they were dropping the SS brand all together until they get there stuff together. Probably wont be seeing an ss impala for a while now.. Same with the caddy v series..
GMC is selling, Pontiac isn't. Why keep Pontiac. No one wants them to go, but you really can't make a valid argument for keeping them. And SS, V-Series, etc. isn't completely going. Development of new cars has stopped. So any SS cars already being made will continue to be made. The new CTS-V just came out so that car will be made until the CTS would be due for a re-design. Besides, The Impala SS really isn't a GM performance div. car anyways.

Last edited by 20SS07; 04-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Launching!

The main downfall of 2009 for Pontiac is the G3. Need I say more.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks Time to bye a Ford Mustang
Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm thinking about it!!