LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arms

What Rocker arms does everyone recommend? I bought a set of 1.9's from ZZP and returned them because I wasn't happy with the machining work.

Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have heard good things about the yella terra rockers. when i do rockers i will prolly be getting these.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I'm pleased with my Harland Sharps
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

This is a noob question but what do the rockers do? What kind of benefit do you get from doing this mod?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Part of the valve train. The cam rotates and raises a lifter, then the lifter is connected to a push-rod, the push-rod the connects to the rocker arm. then based on the ratio, it will open and close the valves allowing air/fuel or exhaust in and out of the engine.

Our factory rockers are 1.7 ratio, which means if the push-rod moves up 1 inch the rocker effectively moves down 1.7" (I know these are exaggerated numbers for our engine, guys. It's more like .475 or so) - so by changing these rockers, you can increase the ratio to say 1.9, increasing the time a valve is open and by how far it opens effectively allowing more air in and therefore getting more power, you can also reduce the flex in the factory parts with stronger rockers.

It is similar to changing the cams a little bit, without tearing the entire engine apart.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you go full roller these are the best. Just my opinion...

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...LSx_Valvetrain

If you like the stock type but a different ratio these are the best in my opinion...

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=50185

Do a search on Harland's...

-Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_7-rocker-1.html

rockers help alot.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Panther427
Thanks Panther, that did explain alot. I wonder what else this guy has done to his imp to have a before dyno of 255hp.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

What exactly did you identify in the machining work that made you return them?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Question

if everybody is so worried about warrenty,why is everyone changin rocker???will it bring uop a code,and can tha dealer find out w/out tearin down the motor???i know it will bring better performance,but did it void any body warrenty???
Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1 CLEAN SUP3R SPORT
if everybody is so worried about warrenty,why is everyone changin rocker???will it bring uop a code,and can tha dealer find out w/out tearin down the motor???i know it will bring better performance,but did it void any body warrenty???
it would void the powertrain warrenty, but they would have to open it up to see the rockers.....so it is just a risk.....doubt they would open it up though.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Launching!

When I got the ZZP rockers, I opened them up and on 2 of them the re-machined cups were not in the same spot as the others. So, if I could notice them with the naked eye, there was no way that I was putting them on my car.

I'm not worried about voiding any warranty. I'll go to battle with Chevy and the dealership any day. Now, I'm not running a cat, so obviously for legal reasons I'd slap that back on before going to the dealership, but I've gone in there to have hubs replaced etc, and left the tune in there, the 20's, etc and everything was fine and even got a few "I like what you did with that".

The Magnuson-Moss Act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act protects you (kinda sorta but most importantly it adds ALOT OF GREY AREA which is good for us and everyone that wants to mod their car) - know the legal info before you go, and not to mention making a scene about warranty repairs in front of potential customers works too
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by beznich
When I got the ZZP rockers, I opened them up and on 2 of them the re-machined cups were not in the same spot as the others. So, if I could notice them with the naked eye, there was no way that I was putting them on my car.

I'm not worried about voiding any warranty. I'll go to battle with Chevy and the dealership any day. Now, I'm not running a cat, so obviously for legal reasons I'd slap that back on before going to the dealership, but I've gone in there to have hubs replaced etc, and left the tune in there, the 20's, etc and everything was fine and even got a few "I like what you did with that".

The Magnuson-Moss Act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act protects you (kinda sorta but most importantly it adds ALOT OF GREY AREA which is good for us and everyone that wants to mod their car) - know the legal info before you go, and not to mention making a scene about warranty repairs in front of potential customers works too

yeah i printed that up a week ago,well just wanted sum feed back on that issue...u guys are alot of help,thanks...let me know wat rockers u get might do internal work on mine,if u guys are pleased with the product u bought...and maybe sum porting on tb
Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

what kind of power or horse power do you receive with these in ur car???? Are they worth all this money?????
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bugzy530
what kind of power or horse power do you receive with these in ur car???? Are they worth all this money?????
http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_7-rocker-1.html

Mags reported findings of rockers on a LS4
Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Launching!

I've read that article, but it doesn't give part numbers. Can I use rockers from the LS6?

Quick Reply: Rocker Arms