LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

The BEST tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The BEST tranny cooler?

Im looking for some advice and suggestions and what's the most effective and efficient cooler for these trannies out there? Its gonna be a gift for my old man and figured Id get em something good. Preferably something that doesn't require a whole lot of alteration or modding to make it fit and work?

All in all- What's the best one out there that you recommend?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Check out this link for the finned tranny pan from ZZP. I don't actually use it, but others here do, and it is a simple bolt on replacement for the stock pan. No splicing and dicing of coolant lines.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=547&catid=105
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

I bought this one from pfyc.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GP3005/GPUNDE...+-+W-body.html

It was designed for the older model but did work with a little modification and adding some additional lines so it would reach.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

How well does the finned tranny pan really work? Also, are there any true bolt on coolers for our tranny's/cars?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Teching In

yeah, any input from people who have already done this? Any diff? I know our trannies are pretty weak since there is a thread dedicated to when trannies have gone...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bueler, Bueler, Bueler
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Launching!

getting a "certified shop" to install mine otherwise the warrenty is void on the cooler supposidly (tru cool 2800) on the 18th ill take some pics and photo bucket it up. i was priced 229 i took one up from the one they recommended me cause im paranoid about this tranny popping. got zzp shift kit,3.93 Gears and Diablo tune. and my tranny hits 120+(canada) when its sitting in traffic. most roads in my city are 50 km
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

You'll need some accessory hook-ups such as http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/OC-397.html. Just keepin' real!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with this one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPCOOLAMS____

It IS a big one and took a little fabrication to put it in. It's an Imperial but the cooler itself is made by Hayden. It actually say's Hayden right on the cooler.

-Mike

Last edited by Mgpeagle; 05-12-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
I went with this one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPCOOLAMS____

It IS a big one and took a little fabrication to put it in. It's an Imperial but the cooler itself is made by Hayden. It actually say's Hayden right on the cooler.

-Mike
exactly how did you go about putting her in?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a 12" plastic plate in front of the hood latch that has to come off. The whole lower air-dam has to be dropped too. There are a few screws to remove near each tire and a crap load of large plastic pins that need to come out too. After that is done then you need to place the cooler from underneath and hold it from up top. I put the lines towards the bottom and routed the lines where I have to cut the air-dam. After I secure it to the radiator I cut the retun line and attached one end of the cooler line to the line coming out of the radiator and one end to the line going into the trans. After all done I check for leaks and put it back together. Takes a few hours...

-Mike
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Oh man Mike....thats the one we spoke about...mine is in and it works great and even better when the fans are tunned to kick on at about 160*-165* we are kickn on at about 210* right now...but just a word to the wise...the HAYDEN kit is great!!!! good strong accessories and a really nice and solid fluid cooler panel....but make sure!!!!! when you put the lines on and you cut and flare the factory lines...YOU SAND THE HELL OUT OF THEM TO KEEP THEM FROM CUTTING OR SPLICING YOUR LINES FROM THE KIT!!! I had this happen and lost 6qts of tranny fluid while driving and the tranny slipping the whole time...but lucky i didnt have far to go, but if i would of stopped, i would of been stranded....but its all good...got it fixed and no problems now...its a great kit....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 to the flared lines. With out them the cooler lines can easily slip off even with doulbe and tripple clamps on the hose.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

I've decided to go with a B&M Trans Cooler and make solid brackets to mount the cooler to. All of you who use the 'through the Radiator' nylon straps/ties please cut at least 1/2" heater hose and use them as 'Stand-Offs' to put space in between the cooler and Radiator so the heat from either one won't effect the other as much as if they were touching one another.

We're trying to keep convection heat from happening between them. I've have found this tecnique to be very effective. I myself don't want anything hanging off these new cheaper made radiators that's out there now.

Quick Reply: The BEST tranny cooler?