LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

The final cam question...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The final cam question...maybe

So I've done my searching and it's been awhile since someone asked this and there were no definitive answers I could find so:

If I want to do a cam upgrade, what is the best route to go that will require the least amount of fabricating to make it fit? I've heard that a stock cam from a GTO will go in rather smooth, but then I've seen some people saying the LS6 was the way to go...if I was blind and totally missed an existing thread please post...thx
Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those would be the same cam I think. Depending on the years.

New Era Performance has two DoD cams for the G8, but I don't think anyone has been a guinea pig with a LS4 car yet. They gained like 50-60 hp with one, but that was with a higher displacement engine etc etc. http://neweraperformanceparts.com click the G8GT link on the left side to find them, or you could try and contact them to see if it would work. Dunno if you want to drop 750$ on a cam alone.

mixerda did a cam swap and so did BADDLS1SS
Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BAD pulled his LS6 cam back out...but MIX still had his in I thought...LS2 cam...Both have stopped posting about their cars...so not sure how the cam in MIX's car is doing....
Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is of any help, the stock cam has:

Lift: Non DOD lobes 0.283" intake and exhaust
Lift: DOD lobes 0.289" intake and exhaust

Valve Lift: Non DOD 0.482" intake and exhaust
Valve Lift: DOD 0.490" intake and exhaust

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 05-12-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats strange that new era performance site doesnt give any cam specs just there horespower ratings.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose it's just a custom grind comp cams or something and they don't want people just buying it directly. It's marked up to pay for their testing and such.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have a LS2 cam and runs fine and strong mine came outta a Vette but you can getem outta GTO's and Trail Blazer SS's.The Ls6 cam was used on the older Zo6's and CTSV's not sure how that cam would do and if youd really gain that much its similar to the LS2 cam but not as aggressive of a cam heres specs on the LS2 cam ive got
Duration at .050" Tappet Lift
Intake 204 Degrees
Exhaust 211 Degrees

Lift with a 1.7 Rocker (Stock LS2) is .525/.525
Intake Centerline 118 Degrees
Exhaust Centerline 114 Degrees
LSA 116 Degrees
now essentially the LS6 heads are the same as the LS2 heads if anyones swapping those Same casting, essentially the same with some minor changes in it but LS6 head will be ALOT cheaper
heres a good link how you can try to grind a ls6 cam into a ls2 and whatnot here yah go
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1...cam_grind.html
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkksxy1
I have a LS2 cam and runs fine and strong mine came outta a Vette but you can getem outta GTO's and Trail Blazer SS's.The Ls6 cam was used on the older Zo6's and CTSV's not sure how that cam would do and if youd really gain that much its similar to the LS2 cam but not as aggressive of a cam heres specs on the LS2 cam ive got
Duration at .050" Tappet Lift
Intake 204 Degrees
Exhaust 211 Degrees

Lift with a 1.7 Rocker (Stock LS2) is .525/.525
Intake Centerline 118 Degrees
Exhaust Centerline 114 Degrees
LSA 116 Degrees
now essentially the LS6 heads are the same as the LS2 heads if anyones swapping those Same casting, essentially the same with some minor changes in it but LS6 head will be ALOT cheaper
heres a good link how you can try to grind a ls6 cam into a ls2 and whatnot here yah go
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1...cam_grind.html

Well. I was helping my budy work on rebuilding his LS2 and he has the same 243 heads that our LS4 cars Have.So to me no point in changing for the same stock heads. We could get the PRC stage 2.5 heads they would work nice with a good cam. Still we are limited by our intake. And he is getting a new cam. SO this might work out well for me
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Panther427
Well. I was helping my budy work on rebuilding his LS2 and he has the same 243 heads that our LS4 cars Have.So to me no point in changing for the same stock heads. We could get the PRC stage 2.5 heads they would work nice with a good cam. Still we are limited by our intake. And he is getting a new cam. SO this might work out well for me
that would work out well for you seein hed have a cam just layin about with no car to put it in lol but i agree with you panther on the heads and ive tryed swappin the LS2 intakeon its nearly imppossible i found out this The LS2 intake throttle body inlet is molded low and won't clear the oil pressure sending unit and even if you remove it the intake still cant clear the DoD electrical plug.
i even tryed flipping it around and stuff and still nothing fixed the issue its impossible to make it work.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

if we ever completey removed DOD. and mounted the oil preauser sensor in a completely differnt location. IS there anything else holding us back from using a LS2 intake if some one was to do that work with the DOD???
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

if we ever completey removed DOD. and mounted the oil preauser sensor in a completely differnt location. IS there anything else holding us back from using a LS2 intake if some one was to do that work with the DOD???
yes because when you go to put the water pump housing on it doesnt clear a critical part of the housing which is a coolant passage and to sound like a even big downer the factory LS4 throttle body and fuel rails will not work with the LS2 intake manifold Im not sure if its possible to swap it honestly I have an LS6 manifold on my Z28 and I really dont think with some customing that will work but i did write a letter to Fast LSX to see if they can develop something for these cars since they are growing in popularity and this site is proof.I think the more people who write letters to these companys and to GM High tech the more we will show how much LS4 owners want products and want to spend money and maybe that will get some of these companys to make products for these great cars i own both my z28 and my monte and really love the monte the camaros fast but thats all it really does for me hence why im selling it yes it runs 11.75s but eats alot of fuel and isnt a daily driver at all so my goals to get my monte to the 12s on motor or with spray
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

complete ls2 fuel rail swap would be needed then. I posted up about a new eldebroke maifold for the LSX cars. It looks like a sheet metal intake almost. The only problem is that it maynot clear the hood. but it looks like it would clear everything else.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

complete ls2 fuel rail swap would be needed then. I posted up about a new eldebroke maifold for the LSX cars. It looks like a sheet metal intake almost. The only problem is that it maynot clear the hood. but it looks like it would clear everything else.
i thought the ls2 looked to but because it looks doesnt mean when you go to put it on it may be way off id ask edlebrock
Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...chevy-ls.shtml
First one on the page Pro-Flo XT manifold.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...9+&appfilter=1

$440
Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should get one and if it doesnt work just put it on my truck... Maybe if it was cheaper and in stock. Found it for 400 but cant pull trigger.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is an interestin build using that intake.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29

Sounds like we need an aftermarket fuel rail too. Not sure.

ANd the link to where i found this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ock-epp-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ow-xt-gto.html

Another link shows one installed in a GTO

Last edited by Panther427; 05-14-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

I've been crazy busy with life lately why haven't seen much of me around lately.

Our motor can do whatever we want with and get some nice gains, granted the intake we are limited on unless ya do a swap which is gonna require some serious fabrication to get a ls1/2/6 one on there, valley cover is a bitch :<. Exhaust manifolds we all know the problems there but unless your bind you already know the motor has been turned sideways.

The biggest thing your gonna find about our car is our tranny is geared so tall your NEVER going to see the top end of this car ever, 3rd gets to 157 I think it was and d is 200+.

I did get some nice gains motor wise with the cam/upper valve train mods but my power band starts around 4500 rpm out to 6200's and I shift at about 6500's. this would be great in a 5/6speed tranny but we drop 2.5-3k rpm every shift and just destroys the effect of having a powerband the higher rpm range.

there is still a lot planned for the car but I have a lot of personal life issues that take priority over the car atm.

I'll try and find all the links that I used in making a choice for the car, but when I made my choices I wasn't thinking about the gearing of the tranny and what not so meh :<
Old 05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Their 90mm cable throttle body wont work so I think you would end up using a ls2 with a wiring adapter. The fuel rail kit is another 130$ ish. Might need injector o-rings too.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

If u look at the build up of there CTS-V they are using a wireless TB on there manifold.

An idea i had given to me is to not get a High RPM cam but more of a RV cam to keep the power down low.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

i really just dont see any of it workin,I think maybe porting our manifold at this time is our only option unless someone on here builds there own sheet metal intake that is an exact replica of our stock one.As fas as the cams go they dont really fix the top end to much id say nitrous is the only fix for the 3rd gear blues,especially the gxp guys gm gave them the worst 3rd gear of all which you can read about here http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ix_gxp_feature
so for the gxp crowd id suggest stop wastin money on cheap mods and go right to nitrous heres the est for the impala
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-5.html

Quick Reply: The final cam question...maybe