LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is CAI ripping me off??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is CAI ripping me off??

Hi everyone, I bought my cold air inductions air intake about two months ago. There was a problem with their silicon elbow so I opted to have the box shipped and the elbow sent when ready (he said about three weeks). I contacted him four weeks later about the hose and said they were still having problems. Now its been a whole other month and I still haven't received anything from them! I've contacted them two weeks ago but now they don't even give me an estimate as to when the part will be shipped. My question to you guys is, Have any of you guys recently purchase or tried to purchase the CAI for the grand prix? Did you guys have any problems?? Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the CAI intake but i have the older style box. i contacted them a few days ago about getting the silicon tube to replace the factory tubing. he said they are on a 4 week back order right now. i know on clubgp a lot of GXP guys were having fitment issues of the new box and CAI took care of the problem for them by replacing the whole box. i called them when i was installing my box and they were very helpful and responses very quickly. i havent heard any complain about their service yet. they have always answered my questions quickly.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

eh.. I have the older style box as well... last year I just bought my own silicone intake hose... haven't had one problem with it... you can get it in blue or black...

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...2673bab748aa11

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...2673bab748aa11

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you have to modify the tube at all in order to get it to fit that you bought?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

nope.. that 3.25" hose fits right on the throttle body and MAF sensor... just clamp it on like the original one was...

oh, the only thing I had to do was put a little hole and a grommet in the top of it, for that crankcase vent breather tube... so I put that grommet in, sealed it up on both sides with some black rtv sealant, and that's it.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gxp'er
Hi everyone, I bought my cold air inductions air intake about two months ago. There was a problem with their silicon elbow so I opted to have the box shipped and the elbow sent when ready (he said about three weeks). I contacted him four weeks later about the hose and said they were still having problems. Now its been a whole other month and I still haven't received anything from them! I've contacted them two weeks ago but now they don't even give me an estimate as to when the part will be shipped. My question to you guys is, Have any of you guys recently purchase or tried to purchase the CAI for the grand prix? Did you guys have any problems?? Thanks in advance!!
I bought from them and they let me know about the elbow problems from the get go. I told them to shipped the box anyway's and have been using it with the stock tube with no problems. They have emailed to let me know they haven't forgotten about me, still having problem with vendor. So I will just wait, they seem to be real good people trying to make it.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, the only thing I had to do was put a little hole and a grommet in the top of it, for that crankcase vent breather tube... so I put that grommet in, sealed it up on both sides with some black rtv sealant, and that's it.
what did you use to put the hole in it?

Last edited by DP 08 GXP; 05-19-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

a 3/8" drill bit...

found the size of the grommet to use, from K&N's instruction sheet from their intake for our cars, and the Grommet is: 15/16” OD, 3/8” ID, 17/32” THK

so, I used a 3/8" drill bit to make the hole, then put in the grommet.

then, you take out the vent tube fitting from the stock intake accordion hose and put that in the grommet, and then the breather hose just clips back on it like stock...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

06MonteSS, would you be able to take a picture of how your intake is setup? I'd really like to see it. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

will try to do that tonight for ya man, if I remember

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Lol. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I am having the same issue with the tube order. I was the one who raised the red flag about the box not fitting. They worked with me to resolve it and redesigned the box. THey were quicl and responded well. He's a small outfit I think and is having supplier issues. It's frustrating.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Where did you find the grommet?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

napa auto parts store...

Quick Reply: Is CAI ripping me off??