LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

extremly strange dealer problem help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extremly strange dealer problem help!

I did some work to my car that required us to pull the alt bracket and the pulley belt. Then after driving for a little bit, my car blew the belt. The dealer looked at it and discovered that my pulleys are not aligned. In order to fix this issue, they need a special laser tool. The dealer will not order this tool however because it is $1500. No dealer around me has the tool either. WTF is going on
Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"Dealers" don't buy the mechanic's tools... each mechanic is required to buy/have their own tools... so it's understandable that the mechanic isn't going to buy that single tool for $1,500 just for your car... it's not something he's going to need or use that much really...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

The laser tool is considered speciality tool, and the dealership should buy it. Try another dealership???
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goodness, can they just be aligned with a straight edge, string, can't be that hard. I don't think its that critical. Did they say which one was out of alignment?

Suggestion: find someone that can do it and call GM to see if they will pay for it since the dealer can not do it. ??? Is it under warranty? If it is, they should pay if they can't do it.

Could you have done something to it that caused the misalignment?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Didn't you mention that you had to cut/grind the alt bracket in your other thread??? Could that have contributed?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
Then i had to modify the alt mounting bracket buy cutting a big chunk out.
yeah, that would contribute to things being out of line... cuz I'm sure it got tweaked/bent a little in the process....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

That in and of itself is grounds for dismissal of this warranty case, I'd guess.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This one caught me off guard...I didn't know the techs had to buy their own tools...that's crappy...that's like my employer making me buy my own computer to bring to work with me everyday...hmmmm seems strange they'd do that.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
This one caught me off guard...I didn't know the techs had to buy their own tools...that's crappy...that's like my employer making me buy my own computer to bring to work with me everyday...hmmmm seems strange they'd do that.
Thats the way its been forever. I got atleast 5 grand worth of tools and that isnt ****. A Good tech thats been working for 5-10 years could easily have 30,000 dollars in tools. plus antoher 10,000 in tool box's
Old 05-28-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

The dealer ordered the tool for me and is still covering my car even though i have all the work i have done to my car. Worked out And at my dealers, the shop provides the tools not the mechanic.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff, the dealer should cover the specialty tools. The most I've ever heard of a dealer giving the tech is a tool box. My brother works at a Lexux dealer, and they provide them huge toolbox's, but no tools other than specialty tools.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

how did you initially remove the belt, as I think you mentioned you had the dealer to install the belt after you completed the mods.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

I removed the belt by dropping the engine and jamming something in the tensioner lol I took the alt bracket off as well but that required me to remove like 3 pulleys. I didnt have them install the belt, i put it back on but i think i damaged the belt as i was putting it back on. The belt snapped so i had the belt replaced by the dealer.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
I removed the belt by dropping the engine and jamming something in the tensioner lol I took the alt bracket off as well but that required me to remove like 3 pulleys. I didnt have them install the belt, i put it back on but i think i damaged the belt as i was putting it back on. The belt snapped so i had the belt replaced by the dealer.
I would check the tensioner itself. it could have bent a little upwards.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

at this point i am not gonna mess with it, it is getting fixed by the dealer on Wednesday so there is no point in looking at it.