LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

My Car Went To The Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car Went To The Dyno

well i went to a dyno with my Ohio GP club on saturday and here are my numbers and video. the video is with the cutout closed and there is only one that they shot. my camera decided to not record any sound [:@]. the reason the guy is shakin his head is cuz i had 4* of KR that ill be taking care of with my 160* tstat, colder plugs and 3'' DP which should all be on in a few weeks. the first 2 runs were with the cutout closed and the 3rd was opened. the car sat for about 20 minutes between runs 1 and 2 so it cooled off and the third run the car was heat soaked pretty bad so im guessin thats why the numbers werent great.

VIDEO

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t=100_0998.flv
Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Nice numbers on NA man....makes me wonder if my guys DYNO is off a lil...cause two guys now running NA FACTORY....assuming you dont have a tune...? which I am doubting cause your showing some KR...which a tune is really the only way to get rid of that in combo with some parts you listed your getting and some really good high octane gas....

But if thats the case...my numbers on NA even with a tune are 10 horseys shy...so i bet my guys dyno is off....but usually you can factor 10% less power on DYNO JETS brand DYNOs...from what your print out is...but u know how these dynos go...lol
I just did my dyno pull on the N2O....we got the issue with the plug figured out as well...but I was very pleased....
Ill have some pics up soon...but very, very nice...get rid of that KR...
Old 05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice numbers on NA man....makes me wonder if my guys DYNO is off a lil...cause two guys now running NA FACTORY....assuming you dont have a tune...? which I am doubting cause your showing some KR...which a tune is really the only way to get rid of that in combo with some parts you listed your getting and some really good high octane gas....

But if thats the case...my numbers on NA even with a tune are 10 horseys shy...so i bet my guys dyno is off....but usually you can factor 10% less power on DYNO JETS brand DYNOs...from what your print out is...but u know how these dynos go...lol
I just did my dyno pull on the N2O....we got the issue with the plug figured out as well...but I was very pleased....
Ill have some pics up soon...but very, very nice...get rid of that KR...
no tune yet. cant really afford to get a PCM and a tune right now so im just goin to try and get rid of a lil of that KR with some add ons. i run 93 octane everytime i fill up.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Does your dyno have weather built in and set specs crossing the actual conditions etc....and what kind of drum does he use as well as a sniffer....does he induce gas for
O2 calibiration? cause it might not be my guys dyno...my guy dynos actual IROC race cars and is a NASCAR official dyno....when they really used to do it like that....my guy has it in his race team garage....its checked by officials from IROC and AA series every quarter....
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does your dyno have weather built in and set specs crossing the actual conditions etc....and what kind of drum does he use as well as a sniffer....does he induce gas for
O2 calibiration? cause it might not be my guys dyno...my guy dynos actual IROC race cars and is a NASCAR official dyno....when they really used to do it like that....my guy has it in his race team garage....its checked by officials from IROC and AA series every quarter....
as far as the whether i dont beleive so. it was about 75 that day. im not sure what kind of drum he has. it was my first time at any dyno so its kinda above my head. from what i saw he put something in the exhaust and hooked everything up and ran it.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

OK....thats the sniffer...did it have a lil black box with a hose to it etc....?

I just think your torque numbers are off a lil...compared to everyone else on NA its like 267-275 for torque....it looks to be off like 50-60 ft lbs...thats why I asked what kind of drum he uses and do they give it service....

but not shooting you down, but with what you got done you should be at like
235-245whp and like 250-260wtq......unless you have done something with the torque converter...and you did it in ohio right?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

And tunning, you will only tune what they call the ECU....ours is the same as a VETTE ECU...(ENGINE CONTROL) E67....you can expect to pay around 275-325 for a tune just nice round numbers....as im here in INDY....its a lot of fun to tune too....DYNO it afterword to see your numbers etc....then you can see where your at and maybe even tweak it a lil further with your tunner there....and make sure you getting a really good around town "driveability" tune too....not just WOT tune...thats nice to have no KR at WOT...but once timing starts to get pulled...cause we pull timing in these cars cause there is so much...then you loose KR in spots at WOT, BUT YOU MIGHT PICK SOME UP IN THE EVERYDAY DRIVEABILIY...just a lil knowledge from me to you...
Old 05-31-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK....thats the sniffer...did it have a lil black box with a hose to it etc....?

I just think your torque numbers are off a lil...compared to everyone else on NA its like 267-275 for torque....it looks to be off like 50-60 ft lbs...thats why I asked what kind of drum he uses and do they give it service....

235-245whp and like 250-260wtq......unless you have done something with the torque converter...and you did it in ohio right?
yeah it did have a black box with it. i dont know how much it gets serviced cuz when a G8 was pulling the needle for the speed was jumping all over the place and he had to get underneath it to do some cleaning so i dont know if it ever gets serviced. the TC is stock. yeah it was done in columbus ohio. thanks for all the info man.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rossko85

If you pay attention to the plot, you can see where the converter is flashing under load, the real numbers start at about 4700 RPM, showing about 245 torque and then, more obviously, the 250ish horsepower. If you go right to the 4400 where we are supposed to make peak torque, it shows right around 270 ft-lbs. I would believe that we are looking at a number somewhere in between those two, closer to the 270 than the 245. Seems right in line to me.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TQ number varry alot with these cars on Dynos. One run mine showed like 340 next run it was 280 something.Just depends on the TQ converter. Just to clarrify this was a Dyno run after your rockers, Stock Tune, Cat back, and intake. is that correct or do you have any other mods. How much have u driven your car since u put the rockers on. Could be that the car is still learning the new power that the rockers give you and has not made adjustments yet to use all of it.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

I only hit 275tq. at the wheels. 340 doesn't make since. After tuning I only got 258hp and that was with the down pipe only, and only gained 1ft lbs of tq. Lame I know.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

its from TQ converter multiplying you TQ. Its not a true and valid number by anymeans.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

TQ number varry alot with these cars on Dynos. One run mine showed like 340 next run it was 280 something.Just depends on the TQ converter. Just to clarrify this was a Dyno run after your rockers, Stock Tune, Cat back, and intake. is that correct or do you have any other mods. How much have u driven your car since u put the rockers on. Could be that the car is still learning the new power that the rockers give you and has not made adjustments yet to use all of it.
all i have done to the engine is CAI, stock tune and the catback. i dont have rockers in yet.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK well thats pretty good power i think. I made 244hp stock with out anything on the car. So you picked up 12WHP. That seems pretty good for a CAI and catback. Timming being pulled could be from bad fuel. Still being head soaked from the drive to the dyno.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

im hoping i didnt get bad fuel since i fill up at shell and only run 93 octane. who knows though.

there has been a few guys on other forums saying that the 160* tstat is going to be too cold for the winters that i have in ohio. what do you guys think? i know if i had to i could cover up the grills but i dont know what i would use so it would function and also look somewhat decent? any ideas?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll put my money on it being the Shell gas... shell is crap gas... try using good 93 from mobil, exxon, sunoco or bp instead...

I used to use shell 93 when I first bought my car... then once I got my programmer and did some data logging, I was able to see that I had a **** load of KR...

switched to mobil 93 octane and it disappeared...

a LOT of people I know, on a bunch of different forums, have had the same bad experiences with Shell, and after they switched, their KR went away/down as well...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 06-01-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll put my money on it being the Shell gas... shell is crap gas... try using good 93 from mobil, exxon, sunoco or bp instead...

I used to use shell 93 when I first bought my car... then once I got my programmer and did some data logging, I was able to see that I had a **** load of KR...

switched to mobil 93 octane and it disappeared...

a LOT of people I know, on a bunch of different forums, have had the same bad experiences with Shell, and after they switched, their KR went away/down as well...
damn i woulda thought shell had good gas but shows what i know. in my town all we have is shell and a few small gas stations that i would never fill up with. looks like when i go outta town ill have to hit up a BP
Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know about shell. Thanks