LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Stupid Question on a Catless DP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid Question on a Catless DP

Alright I ordered my catless DP from Wbodystore since Hogan no longer *advertises* catless pipes on his site and shipping to a heavy smog state like CA would be a headache for them.

So it came in the mail today, and it has no bung for the 02 sensor like the stock one does? Is that the rear 02 that doesnt matter or do I need to someone to cut and weld a bung in there? Can I just disconnect the rear 02? Can I tune it out with the diablosport?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make o2 sensors bungs you just weld in. To keep thing happy u need both working. Front was is a referance to the rear 02 sensor and shows the computer how well that cat is working. . A before and after snap shot of sensor data.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if you put a bung in for the sensor, it will still throw a code. Lew can set you up with a code delete for the Diablo.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a bung welded in mine and had the codes turned off. You have to have it hooked up.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

So I can still drive it around with the sensor out and tucked up or wait until I get a bung welded up in there and the sensor attached?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

I drove around with a bad rear o2 sensor for a long while...so driving with one tucked away should be fine. It didn't hurt my mileage too much, but who'd notice at 11mpg anyway
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will probaly ruin the sensor driving with it just hanging. I'd at least unhook it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitly unhook it! These are heated sensors. It will surely get effed up if you tuck it away.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
You will probaly ruin the sensor driving with it just hanging. I'd at least unhook it.
Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
Definitly unhook it! These are heated sensors. It will surely get effed up if you tuck it away.
Okay thanks guys I get the picture now!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

With a catless down pipe you will have to get the codes tuned out anyway. Make sure all codes are tuned out, not just cat. conv. efficiency, but also circuitry and heating codes and the like. So if your getting all the codes turned off, then just unplug the sensor from the sensor wiring harness.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

How bad is it to drive around with the sensor unplugged?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Well...I have a HOGAN DP7S from HOGAN with a RPipe....I let my Factory O2 sensor stay exposed to air and tucked up on the lil notch on the frame...you will see it for sure, its right next to the rear flange of any piping, right near the rubber hook loops....it is the opening the wire and sensor is ran out of...just make sure to tuck it in to where there is no contact with the wire and/or with the frame....IT DOES GET HOT...as you read...and MAKE SURE IT FACES OUT AWAY TOWARD THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE....let it show over the edge of the opening a lil..kind of poke over...NOT HANG!!!

And a quick tip!!: You will see how the cord of the sensor will snake a lil...cause you can pull that sensor out a good ways before you loose slack.....so when you put it in the notch, nestle it with the wire...snake it in to where you have wire on each side of the sensor AWAY FROM THE HEATED BUNG END!!! and seat the sensor between the snake....this will save your from a pretty nasty rattle that developes and sounds like the exhaust is going to fall off!!! LOL...and do be careful not to forget THEY GET HOT...I had a brain fart and tried to move it while the sensor was coming down from operating temp......that bitch is very hot...lol

It will not do harm in short term exporsure to air...like now more that 30 min ....O2 is the calibiration gas the sensor takes to caliberate, so a lil is okay..I did run around with my CHECK light on for the longest before I could get to my tunner to disengage it, but it still works..but take care of it with several methods listed above.......the only thing that is known to harm these sensors is extreme exhuast heat and the sensor staying on and heating without exhaust gas passing over it....

RECOMENDATION: Get you a wide band controller and a gauge to devote to your system with the upgrades in place of the rear....and TUNE THE REAR OUT....
as im not sure, but there are some delete diods etc and other options as we all know...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

further....if you get a Wideband controller....have the bung on the bend of the downpipe BEFORE THE CAT or RACE PIPE IF YOU MINUS THAT...its recomended that you place it in a 10 or 2 position, as condinsation can build up from exhaust temps mixed with other weather related elements.....

Lil problem you will run into, due to the positioning of the downpipe near the lower chasis engine wall...you might or probably will only to be able to get a bung/sensor in a 3 o'clock postition....but its very, very close; depending on how aggressive your downpipe bend is and its diameter...
Just some pass down...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rossko85
Well...I have a HOGAN DP7S from HOGAN with a RPipe....I let my Factory O2 sensor stay exposed to air and tucked up on the lil notch on the frame...you will see it for sure, its right next to the rear flange of any piping, right near the rubber hook loops....it is the opening the wire and sensor is ran out of...just make sure to tuck it in to where there is no contact with the wire and/or with the frame....IT DOES GET HOT...as you read...and MAKE SURE IT FACES OUT AWAY TOWARD THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE....let it show over the edge of the opening a lil..kind of poke over...NOT HANG!!!

And a quick tip!!: You will see how the cord of the sensor will snake a lil...cause you can pull that sensor out a good ways before you loose slack.....so when you put it in the notch, nestle it with the wire...snake it in to where you have wire on each side of the sensor AWAY FROM THE HEATED BUNG END!!! and seat the sensor between the snake....this will save your from a pretty nasty rattle that developes and sounds like the exhaust is going to fall off!!! LOL...and do be careful not to forget THEY GET HOT...I had a brain fart and tried to move it while the sensor was coming down from operating temp......that bitch is very hot...lol

It will not do harm in short term exporsure to air...like now more that 30 min ....O2 is the calibiration gas the sensor takes to caliberate, so a lil is okay..I did run around with my CHECK light on for the longest before I could get to my tunner to disengage it, but it still works..but take care of it with several methods listed above.......the only thing that is known to harm these sensors is extreme exhuast heat and the sensor staying on and heating without exhaust gas passing over it....

RECOMENDATION: Get you a wide band controller and a gauge to devote to your system with the upgrades in place of the rear....and TUNE THE REAR OUT....
as im not sure, but there are some delete diods etc and other options as we all know...
Originally Posted by Rossko85
further....if you get a Wideband controller....have the bung on the bend of the downpipe BEFORE THE CAT or RACE PIPE IF YOU MINUS THAT...its recomended that you place it in a 10 or 2 position, as condinsation can build up from exhaust temps mixed with other weather related elements.....

Lil problem you will run into, due to the positioning of the downpipe near the lower chasis engine wall...you might or probably will only to be able to get a bung/sensor in a 3 o'clock postition....but its very, very close; depending on how aggressive your downpipe bend is and its diameter...
Just some pass down...
Haha, don't know what to make of that, your posts are sp hard for me to follow.

So I welded up a standard bung in close the stock location but clocked it a little bit. Now I can plug it in. I'll just need Lew to write me a code delete.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yup yup...

I need a copy of the current diablo tune that is installed in your car...

here's how to do it:

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=6547

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com