LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How to disable DRL

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to disable DRL

How to disable DRL.
A. Turn **** on left side of steering wheel.
B. Pull DRL fuse.
C. If unable to remember to turn off, or no fuse, cut into wiring and install 12 volt relay to parking lights. You will need 12 volt relay (AutoZone part#pl-ry2 ) inline fuse holder, 15 amp fuse, crimp on female spade connectors, 4 crimp on splice connectors, 2 crimp on 5/16 eyelet, butt splice, and some 14 gauge stranded wire. I got every thing off the shelf at AutoZone except wire and connectors already had them.

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove fuses for low beam headlight.
3. Remove passenger side head light.
4. Connect eyelet to one end of fuse holder. Connect wire to other end. Bolt it to top of fuse box under hood where battery hooks up. Run wire to head light hole under windshield washer fluid tank.
5. Connect eyelet to 6” piece of wire spade connector to other end. Plug spade into relay coil #85. Bolt relay and eyelet to ground lug to frame on bumper support. Relay connectors should be on left side.
6. Trim wire that was run from fuse block and connect spade. Connect to relay coil #86.
7. Follow wires from headlight back to wire harness. Remove tape and strip back plastic around wires towards fuse block. Look for group of wires taped together 4 brown, 2 purple, green black stripe, green white stripe, dark blue white, light blue white stripe, tan white stripe, and yellow. Make sure wires will be long enough to reach relay. Cut yellow and tan white stripe wire connect them together with spade and connect to relay contact #87.
8. Find brown wire that goes to parking light, splice piece of wire to it and connect it to relay contact #30.
9. But car back together.

Well that’s how I did it on my 06 GXP. Works great no DRL, headlights come on at night. Wire colors on your car could be different, might want to ring your wires out before cutting. Only down side is can't drive with just parking lights on, but I never do that anyway.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

really? I didn't know that you guys can not turn off your lights! damn,......
Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some of the ls4 cars have two drl fuses and you just pull one of them.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

well, if you can tell me where the hell to find it...LMAO..ive looked and no fuse...and thanks again Brian for your post!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should have one or both in the under hood fuse box. I just had one in DRL2 and pulling that killed mine. I wouldn't wanna mess with wiring though had I not been able to just pull a fuse I would just manually turn them off. Not like some cars where you can't just manually turn them off and have to **** with the wiring.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Grand Prix GXPs don't have a DRL fuse ... don't tell me the Monte does

In my 97 GP, I just pulled the DRL fuse and turned off both the DRL and the auto headlights. I'd love to this on the GXP too, but it's not as simple as pulling a fuse.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Odd. The Imps and the Montes do. And between those GM wasn't consistent. Some just have a fuse in the DRL1 location, others(like myself) have one in the DRL2 location, and some have one in both locations, and not everyone could kill them by just pulling a fuse.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Odd. The Imps and the Montes do.
That's weird ... I wish the GXPs had that fuse!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Bringing up an old thread instead of starting another. I did this modification to my 08 GXP last night to prepare for the HID kit I ordered. Last night I tested just a few times in the garage and all seemed fine. Wife got in the car tonight and no headlights. Turns out it was just the 10a fuse for the parking lights that blew. Anyone else have this problem after performing this. I went ahead and replaced it and seems fine again but still curious. I get that you are using the parking lights wire to trigger the relay to kick on the low beams but the low beams themselves wouldn't be getting there power from there. I wouldn't think just tapping into the parking light wire would be enough to overload it so thats why I am asking. Would the gauge of wire be an issue. I am pretty sure it was 14 gauge I used everywhere but will check later tonight. I guess I should also check the wire taps I used. I just used the cheap ones that clip over both wires with a metal piece there in the middle.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

why don't you guys just turn them off when you put it in drive like i do.??
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
i agree, you guys make it sound as if turning a **** clearing a message in your DIC is worth messing with the cars electronics. Even if you have HID's IMHO i don't see the point of going through all that trouble, at least in the GXP where is so simple to just manually turn them off.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neilownz
Some of the ls4 cars have two drl fuses and you just pull one of them.
That's what I did, and it worked like a charm.

I had to do it because of the HIDs.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

the DRLs in my GXP are just the turn/parking lights .... why would you need to turn them off for HIDs like y'all mention?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

the newer gxp's have the headlights as running lights. my 05 only uses the park lights
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
The wife would never shut the drl off. That really messes with the hid’s. I’m thinking of doing something different when it gets nice out. When I use the remote start the lights come on, and they point strait at the neighbor house.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

so which fuse is it for the monte and imps fuse 1 or 2
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah my wife drives the car more than I do and she is not going to turn the **** everytime. First I wired up a relay to kill the auto headlights/DRL's all together. She hated that so I wired the relay up like mentioned above and blew a fuse the next day. I think my wire tap was a little loose as I re did it and had no issues since so hopefully thats all it was.

And like mentioned above, only the 2005 have the parking lights as DRL (GXP's that is) and the GXP's dont have a fuse you can pull so it was this or covering up the DRL sensor to always think it was night and I chose this path. Only thing I dont like is I cannot drive with just the fogs like I used to. I knew that was how it was but still been brainstorming on a way around that. I need to read up on the wiring in the GXP more
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year gxp do you have mine is a 06 and when i use the remote start my headlights dont come on?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

heres a write up from my other forum of what a guy did for his monte. it disabled the lights unless you turned them on. dont know if its the same for the gxp, but guess its something to look into. personally i just twist the **** when i start the car it is annoying, but whatever.
http://montecarloforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11930
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
what year gxp do you have mine is a 06 and when i use the remote start my headlights dont come on?

mine is an 08 but my does the same thing. With remote start, or say arming/disarming the alarm it only flashes the parking lights. Its only when the car is running do the parking lights fire up the headlights. Actually not sure how it works this way but it does.

And to the post above. I originally did something similar to the link you listed. It worked just fine but pissed the wife off that it killed the auto headlights. She really likes having those but I would actually prefer to have manual control at all times if it was just me. Thats what I did in the 99 GP but it was just pulling a fuse on it

Quick Reply: How to disable DRL