LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tuning advice for the LS4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning advice for the LS4?

Guys, I am in a bit of a pickle here and didn't know if any of you experienced tuners or students of tuning theory could help me out. I have an 05 Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3L LS4 engine. I have made a custom fenderwell intake that is wrapped in header wrap to negate heatsoak, and replaced the stock mufflers with Flowmaster Super 44's, so I have increased air-flow, decreased IAT's and decreased back-pressure. I have a friend who has HP tuners and owes me a tune but he is used to tuning cobalts with 4-bangers in em. My question is what should I change in my tune to get the most out of my mods? My car is running super rich ESPECIALLY at WOT. It almost bogs down at WOT because it pours so much gas in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gents!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cherry gxp
Guys, I am in a bit of a pickle here and didn't know if any of you experienced tuners or students of tuning theory could help me out. I have an 05 Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3L LS4 engine. I have made a custom fenderwell intake that is wrapped in header wrap to negate heatsoak, and replaced the stock mufflers with Flowmaster Super 44's, so I have increased air-flow, decreased IAT's and decreased back-pressure. I have a friend who has HP tuners and owes me a tune but he is used to tuning cobalts with 4-bangers in em. My question is what should I change in my tune to get the most out of my mods? My car is running super rich ESPECIALLY at WOT. It almost bogs down at WOT because it pours so much gas in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gents!
My 06 Impala is tuned. If your buddy is good at tuning coblats he can tune your car. BUT you need a wide band 02 to dial in fuel trims. The tables are simler between the 2. A dyno would help but the Wide band in the min.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Resident

email Tiredgxp and maybe if you ask him nicely he will send you his tune
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ease-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...14-tuning.html
Old 07-24-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StealthV8
email Tiredgxp and maybe if you ask him nicely he will send you his tune
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ease-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...14-tuning.html
Ha!
Someone else's tune is really only useful as a comparison - won't necessarily work the same in other vehicles due to altitude, production tolerances, different mods...

rzuff was correct - get a WB and get your AFR dialed in at part and WOT. The you can start worrying about adjusting timing, torque managment, shift speeds, fan control, shift pressures (even in tap mode this tranny takes forever to shift gears with the stock settings), TCC duty cycle...

Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

If he's using HPT and a computer to tune my car what kind of wideband should I purchase and is the sensor all I will need or will I need something like an AEM UEGO to decode the signal?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cherry gxp
If he's using HPT and a computer to tune my car what kind of wideband should I purchase and is the sensor all I will need or will I need something like an AEM UEGO to decode the signal?
It depends what version of Hp tuners he has. If it's pro you can hook the wide band up to it and get the reading through the computer. If not you need a gauge and it makes tuning much more difficult.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure he has pro
Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Ha!
Someone else's tune is really only useful as a comparison - won't necessarily work the same in other vehicles due to altitude, production tolerances, different mods...

rzuff was correct - get a WB and get your AFR dialed in at part and WOT. The you can start worrying about adjusting timing, torque managment, shift speeds, fan control, shift pressures (even in tap mode this tranny takes forever to shift gears with the stock settings), TCC duty cycle...

Obvously, but it would be a good start as base to see what you changed, guess i should of been more clear, thats why i posted the link where you did it before.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

well guys, that sucked, we went to tune it saturday and evidentally when gm certified my car to be resold, they input the newest calibration to the tune and HP tuners couldn't read it, so now I have to wait a few more weeks till my buddy gets down from ohio again. Booo, this should be an easily fixable problem though. We're just going to mess with the fuel map at first then dick around with timing and some others. Should I keep torque management enabled or take it off?

Quick Reply: Tuning advice for the LS4?