LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Replacing battery cable terminals...

Old 09-06-2009, 05:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Replacing battery cable terminals...

has anyone here replaced their battery cable terminals??

how do ya do it? is it hard to do?? what style did you use?

I'm replacing my battery tomorrow (with a new optima red top 35), and was thinking that while I have everything out, I might do the terminals too...

replacing the battery cuz the AC Delco one I had in there has a hole in the post, and I had corrosion all over it and the terminal...

Thanks!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my negative battery cable repalced by thr dealer because that collar that the stud goes though was cracked...

The terminal it self seems like a regular standard terminal just more complicated.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Just the battery the terminals look a little complicated it needs to be made less complicated!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could replace/upgrade the whole length of wire to the fuse box, alternator etc. Upgrading the big three. Might be easier than screwing with the gm post connections since the wires will be a little shorter when you lop off the stock ones. Side terminals aren't really an option because the belt is right there. Unless you flipped the battery around, relocated it, or something.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

If the MCSS's engine bay is anything like the GXPs have fun. Hope ya have little hands. Took my forever to get the stupid battery out... The Optima fell right in though, since it's a little smaller. As for the terminals, I haven't changed them on the GXP, but I did on my RX-7, when I had it, and it was fairly straight forward. I need to replace them, though, the pos. side is ALWAYS corroding...
Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah... I've been at this friggin' battery for a half hour/40 mins now tryin to get the damn thing out - and I'm not any closer than when I started!!!

!@#$@#@#$@$@!@!!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

new optima is in!! woohooo!!!

funny how the negative post is smaller diameter than the positive tho...

the cable clamp doesn't get snug at the top, only the base and middle of the clamp make contact - top of the clamp has gap between it and the post...

interesting...

Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

hmmm... I got that clamp cranked as tight as it will go, and I can still rock the cable up and down if I tug hard enough...

may have to get some battery post shims....

oh well, at least the new battery is in and she's up and runnin' again!!! woohoo!!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

yeah. my negative doest not clamp tight as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I had to drive it down with a flat chisel and a hammer very slowly and light blow with the hammer and every thing tighten right up
Old 09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

drive what down - the neg. cable clamp down onto the post more?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
new optima is in!! woohooo!!!

funny how the negative post is smaller diameter than the positive tho...
I thought the negative post was smaller on all top post batteries??

BTW - Put some dielectric grease on your connections BEFORE you connect them back up and that should eliminate future poor connections and corrosion. Works well and real cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing battery cable terminals...