LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Launching...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching...

I'm thinking about going to the local 1/4 mile track with my GXP this weekend since we've got some nice cool weather. I was just wondering, do you all have better luck launching with traction control on or off at the track? The track that I'm going to isn't exactly known for great prep, a lot of people complain about it, but I think it's still better than some other tracks I've seen/heard of. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have always luanched with it off.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CavPat
I'm thinking about going to the local 1/4 mile track with my GXP this weekend since we've got some nice cool weather. I was just wondering, do you all have better luck launching with traction control on or off at the track? The track that I'm going to isn't exactly known for great prep, a lot of people complain about it, but I think it's still better than some other tracks I've seen/heard of. Thanks.
First off I'm no pro at this but heres what i know:

The one time i went to the track with my car i made 5 passes at Maryland International Raceway. I launched with out traction control for 4 passes, and couldnt get better than a 14.2. I launched with Traction control on and didnt do a burnout and i got 14.1.

Im new to drag racing. I did a newbie mistake. I was heating up the stockers. When you heat up those bridgestones, they get even slicker.

So, heres my advice, lower the front tire pressure about 5-7 pounds depending on the temperature outside. Then put another 5 or more in the rear tires. Also dont do a burn out. Let them spin a bit out side of the burnout box or as for no water, just to clean them off. Then give it a whirl with T/C on and OFF, just to see what turns out better for you. Oh and dont go to the track with a full tank of gas, thats just extra weight. I usually drive out there with a 1/4 tank left and it runs down with me driving there to less than that.

This is what if been reading up here an there. So the next time i go to MIR ill be doing that.

Good luck.

Greg
Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Launch with it off and the car in drive, after the car switches into second put the car in manual mode, and ride that out. I trap around 100 still in second you don't have to change into 3rd until after the 1/4 or when the light flashes on the hud or dash.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Ya, I knew about holding it in second through the traps, just wasn't 100% sure about launching these cars. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverGXP
or when the light flashes on the hud or dash.
our cars have shift lights??
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Launching!

I think he's talkin about the little gear image that shows up on the HUD when it's time to shift (when you're using TAPShift mode).
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

In a post somewhere on the forum, someone also mentioned launching the car at 2000-2500 RPMS then keeping the pedal at half throttle for about 2 seconds, or while saying hippopotamus, then punching the gas. I don't remember who said this but it seems like it would work as you would have the RPMs up and while the care is moving down the track @ half throttle for those 2 seconds the tires should not spin much or at all. After those 2 seconds, you would punch the throttle and there would again me little or no spin as the car is moving @ 20 MPH already.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pro_performer
In a post somewhere on the forum, someone also mentioned launching the car at 2000-2500 RPMS then keeping the pedal at half throttle for about 2 seconds, or while saying hippopotamus, then punching the gas. I don't remember who said this but it seems like it would work as you would have the RPMs up and while the care is moving down the track @ half throttle for those 2 seconds the tires should not spin much or at all. After those 2 seconds, you would punch the throttle and there would again me little or no spin as the car is moving @ 20 MPH already.
That's how I do it. Stall her up to 2000-2500, let off the brake and keep her 50-60% throttle. As soon as it hooks up I go WOT. As long as your track doesn't suck donkey dick it should be ok.

Did the OP ever run yet?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

That's pretty much my method. It just takes practice to find that "sweet spot" where you can really dump into the throttle.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the input guys! No I didn't run yet, it's been raining non-stop for the last week here.