Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 918 springs or dual springs valvetrain questions

which springs would you guys use and when should use valve locks do i need them
also anybody know what length pushrods to use for cam swap T&S gave me
7.400 and will 1.75 ratio rockers fit with a big cam i have 224/224 112LSA
581. 581. I heard 1.8s wont fit i hope mine will i just bought 1.75 pro mag comp cams rockers and i have comp cams hydro lifter type R
Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the dual springs, the 918 springs are known for failing. The shop i go to has a trash can full of just those springs. They only became popular because they are cheap.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

I do agree with the dual springs. But the 918s didnt become popular just because they are cheap, but also because they are a much lighter weight spring. The less weight you have in there, the better valve control you have.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Dual springs rub together and produce more heat, and the beehives have a lower weight over the nose of the valve at full lift because of the way they compress. According to Comp Cams, the beehives with steel retainers have the same valve control ability as the dual springs do with titanium retainers. Assuming equal reliability, the beehive is a better design. But, like was pointed out above, the 918 springs don't have a reputation for being bulletproof like the duals do.

Edit: Actually, my memory was wrong. It was titanium valves, not retainers. I did a search for the comp cams article I read and low and behold something on this site turned up:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...-lift-etc.html

Last edited by nmp0098; 01-10-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im using PSI beehives, very happy with them.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking of getting the patriot performance gold series valvetrain kit and use the hardware but replacing those springs wit stock ls6 ( yellow beehive) what u guys think ?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blakss
I was thinking of getting the patriot performance gold series valvetrain kit and use the hardware but replacing those springs wit stock ls6 ( yellow beehive) what u guys think ?
LS6 springs are a solid choice unless you're planning on running a big cam. What else comes in the kit you are looking at? Is buying the kit cheaper even with the springs than just buying the rest of stuff in the kit?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Default valvetrain

Originally Posted by nmp0098
LS6 springs are a solid choice unless you're planning on running a big cam. What else comes in the kit you are looking at? Is buying the kit cheaper even with the springs than just buying the rest of stuff in the kit?
NMP do you know what length pushrods we use and what size rockers i should use if im putting a bigger cam i have 1.75
Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we use 7.400" pushrods. I haven't heard of any rockers that require a different pushrod length.

Cam's may be a different proposition. As long as the base circle of the cam is the same as the stocker, no need to change pushrod length. On the other hand, if your cam is a regrind with a smaller base circle, then you will need a longer pushrod - need to check with your cam supplier!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the patriot performance gold series kit comes with everything(dual valve springs,titanium retainers,seat,seals and locks )

heres the info on them from the site.

Patriot Performance's legendary Gold spring kit is probably the most used "drop-in" LS dual spring kit in the LS community. These complete spring consists of 16 Patriot Gold dual springs, 16 titanium retainers, 32 Super 7 Machined locks, 16 .505" ID machined spring bases, and 16 viton rubber seals. This kit will work with both stock and aftermarket rocker arms. No cutting or machining of the stock spring pocket is needed.

does anybody know if i should be ok using the LS6 yellow springs ,dont know if they'll sit right..
and also im looking to use the Oil restricting Intense Pushrods 7.400 in length ,really depends how big your talking about but idk any one yet that has had to change the size..
and also looking to run 1.8 yella terras so looking to lighten up the valvetrain hopefully all works well.also what you guys think of the Z06 sodium filled intake valves and hollow exhaust valves..i was thinking of looking into um as i really dont wanna do a cam right now and really trying my hardest to keep my DOD.. well see how it goes.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
we use 7.400" pushrods. I haven't heard of any rockers that require a different pushrod length.

Cam's may be a different proposition. As long as the base circle of the cam is the same as the stocker, no need to change pushrod length. On the other hand, if your cam is a regrind with a smaller base circle, then you will need a longer pushrod - need to check with your cam supplier!

my cam is a custom grind i think its 224/224 112LSA
and my question about the rockers is will they fit with a bigger cam if i go over 1.7 because mine are 1.75
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Teching In

the patriot performance gold series kit comes with everything(dual valve springs,titanium retainers,seat,seals and locks )

heres the info on them from the site.

Patriot Performance's legendary Gold spring kit is probably the most used "drop-in" LS dual spring kit in the LS community. These complete spring consists of 16 Patriot Gold dual springs, 16 titanium retainers, 32 Super 7 Machined locks, 16 .505" ID machined spring bases, and 16 viton rubber seals. This kit will work with both stock and aftermarket rocker arms. No cutting or machining of the stock spring pocket is needed.

does anybody know if i should be ok using the LS6 yellow springs ,dont know if they'll sit right..
and also im looking to use the Oil restricting Intense Pushrods 7.400 in length ,really depends how big your talking about but idk any one yet that has had to change the size..
and also looking to run 1.8 yella terras so looking to lighten up the valvetrain hopefully all works well.also what you guys think of the Z06 sodium filled intake valves and hollow exhaust valves..i was thinking of looking into um as i really dont wanna do a cam right now and really trying my hardest to keep my DOD.. well see how it goes.
what size valves do we use im trying to replace mine also are those ZO6 valves good maybe ill go with those i was looking at manley race valves
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

The LS6 has 2.00" intake valves and 1.55" exhaust valves and the LS4 has 1.89" intake and 1.55" exhaust valves. You'd need to get some machine work on the valve seat done (and you'd probably want to unshroud the valve some) to fit the intake valves.

I looked at that Patriot kit, and the reason they include all of those extras is because you need to change everything over to accomodate the dual springs. So the LS6 springs wouldn't work. I could be wrong, but I believe that all of the beehive springs out there (GM, Comp Cams, PAC, etc.) are fully interchangeable. You can get titanium retainers for the LS6 springs. They run about $200.

On the rockers, definately contact your cam supplier. They'll let you know what will work with their cam. If you have a mystery cam, you can use a pushrod length checking tool to find the correct pushrod length and you can be sure that 1.7's will work.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought the valves where interchangable as far as i knew but either way it was a thought.didnt look into it all like that just a thought.. and i was talkin about the LS6 sodium filled intake and hollow exhaust valves..and as far as the patriot performance kit goes.. what do you mean well have to replace everything? can you elaborate on this .thanks for the info tho. and hey monteboy you got any info on the race valve? oh and anybody one know where i can get the Oil Restricting Push Rod other than intense ?looked everywhere and nothing comes up..
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

The short answer is: the reason Patriot kit includes new valve seats, retainers and seals is because dual springs are just physically different than the stock beehive style springs. The Patriot kit includes everything you need to make the conversion to dual springs, instead of figuring it out on your own.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Default valves

i thought the valves where interchangable as far as i knew but either way it was a thought.didnt look into it all like that just a thought.. and i was talkin about the LS6 sodium filled intake and hollow exhaust valves..and as far as the patriot performance kit goes.. what do you mean well have to replace everything? can you elaborate on this .thanks for the info tho. and hey monteboy you got any info on the race valve? oh and anybody one know where i can get the Oil Restricting Push Rod other than intense ?looked everywhere and nothing comes up..
i dont have a specific part number yet but if you look up on summit racing in engine make put chev. 5.3l 325 and then click engine parts then valves theyll have 2 pages with the only two brands one is trickflow but those say replacement valves and then they have ones that say manley race valves but they have like 4 different sizes so i dont know which ones to choose and also i have the texas speed chromoly pushrods are those similar to the intense one or no
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Default valves

The LS6 has 2.00" intake valves and 1.55" exhaust valves and the LS4 has 1.89" intake and 1.55" exhaust valves. You'd need to get some machine work on the valve seat done (and you'd probably want to unshroud the valve some) to fit the intake valves.

I looked at that Patriot kit, and the reason they include all of those extras is because you need to change everything over to accomodate the dual springs. So the LS6 springs wouldn't work. I could be wrong, but I believe that all of the beehive springs out there (GM, Comp Cams, PAC, etc.) are fully interchangeable. You can get titanium retainers for the LS6 springs. They run about $200.

On the rockers, definately contact your cam supplier. They'll let you know what will work with their cam. If you have a mystery cam, you can use a pushrod length checking tool to find the correct pushrod length and you can be sure that 1.7's will work.
mine are 1.75 i dont know if that makes to big a difference and when you say LS6 valves your talking about the zo6 valves the sodium filled/hollow?

and you dont have to do that work to use performance 5.3L valves do you
Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by monteboy954
mine are 1.75 i dont know if that makes to big a difference and when you say LS6 valves your talking about the zo6 valves the sodium filled/hollow?

and you dont have to do that work to use performance 5.3L valves do you
You can use performance 5.3L valves without machine work. If you buy an LS6, whether it's in a Corvette or a crate engine, it comes with 2.00" intake valves.

Really though, for questions about compatibility you should contact the manufacturer of the part. Most times they are really helpful, unless it's New Era and you're asking questions about their DOD cams in which case they won't tell you anything other than the LSA (113), that the low lift cam is "around" 0.525" of valve lift, and that the cam base circle is different (but they did let me know that I can measure it if I buy it). I couldn't even get them to tell me what the difference in idle vacuum is.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol nmp0098
i know i had contacted them before about the same thing and they just avoided my questions..lol so i didnt bother going on..

and about the springs..i really wanna use the Ls6 beehives but wanna get titanium retainers and valve seals and locks to do so but dont really know to much about all that so imma have to hope summit can help me out..

and about the LS6 and Z06 im not sure although i think its the LS6 or maybe both that have the sodium filled valves and maybe later on id look into getting a valve job and look into making those valves work..not now tho.

and the chromemoly pushrods from what i understand are same as stock just different material.i want to run the Oil Restricting pushrods but only found them on intense and saw that a couple people have them but looked online and the dont seem to exist well maybe im exaggerating a lil but at least i cant find where to buy them..
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Teching In

You can use performance 5.3L valves without machine work. If you buy an LS6, whether it's in a Corvette or a crate engine, it comes with 2.00" intake valves.

Really though, for questions about compatibility you should contact the manufacturer of the part. Most times they are really helpful, unless it's New Era and you're asking questions about their DOD cams in which case they won't tell you anything other than the LSA (113), that the low lift cam is "around" 0.525" of valve lift, and that the cam base circle is different (but they did let me know that I can measure it if I buy it). I couldn't even get them to tell me what the difference in idle vacuum is.
sorry for this but can you tell me what i should ask the machine shop to do for these sodium filled valves to work and would this make a P&P job more money do you think its worth it and do you get sodium ones for intake and exhaust or is it just on one end

Quick Reply: 918 springs or dual springs valvetrain questions