LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

High Idle - Cold Start Warmup

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Idle - Cold Start Warmup

Anybody familiar with how are cars are programmed to handle cold start warm ups. My car tends to idle at about 1K when it is cold and stays there it seems until the car goes to Open Loop, aka fully warmed up. I can understand the high idle when it is really cold, but this morning it was about 30, note I keep my car in the garage as well, and I was at high idle for most of my 8 mile drive to work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds about right to me.

Mine idles at about 1K until it is 100% warm as well....it also squeaks and makes all kinds of noise...sounds like a diesel some days...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

LOL, wait what? Squeaky diesel? I am glad I don't have that!! I have never had a car that holds high idle as much as this thing does, but it seems to be holding it more than normal this winter so I was just curious.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
Sounds about right to me.

Mine idles at about 1K until it is 100% warm as well....it also squeaks and makes all kinds of noise...sounds like a diesel some days...
Yea mine does the same.

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
LOL, wait what? Squeaky diesel? I am glad I don't have that!! I have never had a car that holds high idle as much as this thing does, but it seems to be holding it more than normal this winter so I was just curious.
Seems normal, goes away after warming up.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Sadly for me, with my short 8 mile stop and go commute I am at high idle sitting at stop lights quite frequently...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sadly for me, with my short 8 mile stop and go commute I am at high idle sitting at stop lights quite frequently...
Yea i just remote start it while getting ready, and ive had mine do that too when its not warmed up. Feels weird, so i see your concern.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

I remote start it in the garage for a few minutes before I go out there, but still it takes a while for the motor to get fully warmed up and since I only drive about 20ish minutes of stop and go it usually doesn't fully warm up until I am about at work.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Same cold start idle, right around 1k until she's warmed up.

I remote start it in the garage for a few minutes before I go out there, but still it takes a while for the motor to get fully warmed up and since I only drive about 20ish minutes of stop and go it usually doesn't fully warm up until I am about at work.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Okay so today I watched it again and it came down from 1k much faster than yesterday, and according to the car it was actually a few degrees colder today. Yesterday the car didn't come down from idling at 1k until the car was fully warmed up, today it came down after only warming up about halfway...

I think this is more related to the length of time the car sits. Which is strange to me.

Quick Reply: High Idle - Cold Start Warmup