LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake?

Im looking for a Cold Air Intake and i just want to know what does it actually do? I heard one on a Hyndai Elantra and a Dodge Durango (my neighbors) which sound really good. But what does this actually do for the cars? I heard gas milage but what are the results?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Well. A cold air intake should give you a little gas mileage increase, it also will give your
engine cooler air and decrease any restrictions that your stock intake had. So pretty much the cooler and the more air into your engine the better. That's why forced induction guys run intercoolers, to cool the air going into the motor increasing horsepower. This is usually one of the first bolt-on mods people do to there cars, so I would recommend one for sure, as in brand I know there is a couple companies that make them for our cars, make sure it has a heat sheild and the tube will deflect heat.
- Levi
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you asking for exactly??

A CAI is designed to allow more air and cooler air to enter the intake manifold of a car.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ok so first off, a cold air intake allows for cooler and more air to get to the engine. The cooler and the more air you get the better, it should increase your mileage a little bit and should also allow for some top end horsepower. That is why you see forced induction guys running intercoolers which cool the air which will increase horsepower . Cold air intakes are usually one of the first mods people do to there cars, I would recommend one as long as it has a heat sheild and the intake tube will deflect heat, if not it will decrease HP and mileage. There are a couple brands I know K&N which is a little pricey, and I think cold air inductions makes one and also you can make your own. Hopefully this helps! -Levi
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry for the 2 replies, my laptop is out of order so I'm on my blackberry but my first reply wasn't showing up so I typed it out again but obviously it worked lol
Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to know what it did exactly. I mean on the two cars i've heard them in sounded really good but i didnt know what it did. Im still a newb when it comes to this stuff. Just wanted to get some info from my fellow LS4 brothers