LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

CV Boot leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot leaking

Took the gxp to the stealership to get the power steering hose fixed and they said that the cv boot was leaking. Have any of you guys heard of this? and how do you fix it?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just did mine a few weeks ago, its leaking the grease out of the boot, if its not fixed soon the cv joint will start to make noise like a poping clicking noise

i do suspension work differently, some guys do it their way i do it my way personal choice i guess

remove the tire
remove the cailper
remove the caliper bracket
remove the rotor
the way i do it is i scribe the knuckle with my metal scribe where the strut bolts too, then i remove the 2 bolts at the knuckle
dont forget to hang the caliper with mechanics wire or a coat hanger it just can hang by the brake line
so i use a pry bar and pry gently around the inner joint its just cliped into the trans, and POP out is comes
when its out by the trans move it back to remove it from the wheel bearing

but your going to have to turn the wheel a bit to the left or right to gain acsees to the axle

then send the shaft out to be rebuilt, that cost me 30 bucks, then reverse the procsess, but when installing into the trans again the joint and wheel bearing has splines so it has to catch the splines on the bearing and inside the trans, wiggle wiggle find the correct teeth, and POP in it goes<<<thats what she said

then reverse the install, ya might need a alignment ya might not, i didnt need one just make sure you mark the knuckle

thats it BOOM DONE!!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mp4life23
Took the gxp to the stealership to get the power steering hose fixed and they said that the cv boot was leaking. Have any of you guys heard of this? and how do you fix it?
Driver or passanger side torn?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

its on the passenger side its leaking around the clamp so its not torn they said it was wasnt under the power train warranty because its a wear and tear item does that sound right
Old 02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sure does, dude if you have mechanical ablity you can do this your self, like my post above if ya need help let me know i can even walk ya through the process
Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a new clamp. Remove old clamp and inspect for torn boot. If not torn, clean and install new clamp. If torn remove and replace boot, or just change out axle pending price. Don't know how much they cost for your car but I have changed out cv axles for as little as 65$ each. The last boot kit I changed iirc was like $25. You can always take back the unused part.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I had a same issue a long while back. The dealer fixed it and it failed again. I just bought a new axle from Advance Auto. I saved the old one just for hahas.

Quick Reply: CV Boot leaking