LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anybody add XM to a navi head unit on GXP? I would like to but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody add XM to a navi head unit on GXP? I would like to but...

Hi all.
I'd like to add XM to my 05 GXP, but I'm not sure how to do that. I have the navigation radio, but I don't seem to have XM as an option. Anybody know how to accomplish this?

Many thanks,
BJ
Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

check you BAND options first....

if not in there...then i would call the dealer...ask them...they could tell you if that radio even came with the XM option or an upgrade option

if no answers from them...look at the back of your radio and see if there is any open resepticles that are female in pin-style...you might have to purchase an adapter...

If nothing there....might have to buy an external adapter for you car...

I have a Kenwood DDX712 touch screen that was the base model...no XM, NAV etc....I had to not only buy the XM reciever adapter but I also had to buy the steering wheel adapters, the onstar adapter and the nav adapter...LOL...my car didnt come with the GM touch screen but, I like it so I bought the Kenwood....its a 7" screen with dvd mp3 you name it LOL...i just really liked the look of the double din from GM...and it being double din...you can put those larger screens in!!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Oh how I love my xm
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
Oh how I love my xm
second that one!!!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rossko85
check you BAND options first....

if not in there...then i would call the dealer...ask them...they could tell you if that radio even came with the XM option or an upgrade option

if no answers from them...look at the back of your radio and see if there is any open resepticles that are female in pin-style...you might have to purchase an adapter...

If nothing there....might have to buy an external adapter for you car...

I have a Kenwood DDX712 touch screen that was the base model...no XM, NAV etc....I had to not only buy the XM reciever adapter but I also had to buy the steering wheel adapters, the onstar adapter and the nav adapter...LOL...my car didnt come with the GM touch screen but, I like it so I bought the Kenwood....its a 7" screen with dvd mp3 you name it LOL...i just really liked the look of the double din from GM...and it being double din...you can put those larger screens in!!
Stop right there. There are no BAND options on the NAV screen. Get your info straight before you post junk or don't post at all.

Originally Posted by slomaro2
Hi all.
I'd like to add XM to my 05 GXP, but I'm not sure how to do that. I have the navigation radio, but I don't seem to have XM as an option. Anybody know how to accomplish this?

Many thanks,
BJ
If it came with XM, the XM soft keys would be displayed: AM, FM1/2, XM1/2, CD (CD/CDX if you had the corvette factory CD changer).

If the car did not come with XM, your soft keys would be: AM, FM1, FM2, CD.

I am very close to adding XM to a non XM GXP with factory NAV (possible tutorial with pictures to come).

The problem that may arise with your vehicle is that the 05s have two antennas (front for OnStar/Telephone and rear for XM/Radio).

Do you even have a rear antenna?

And please use the search tool next time.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I added an OEM Navigation unit to my 2006 Impala SS with factory-equipped XM and know quite a bit about how this works.

First a disclaimer: This applies to an 06 Impala, which should be mechanically similar to your GXP, but since it's slightly newer, there may be differences.

The factory Nav radio does not have the XM capability built-in. The factory system uses a separate XM module that connects via the vehicle's CAN bus. It DOES NOT connect to an "open resepticle" on the back of the radio. If this module is present and properly setup in the vehicle, then your factory radio will detect it and display XM functionality

You can add a "factory style" XM, and GM actually sells an upgrade kit that costs around $200. You could install it yourself or have the dealer do it, but even if you do it on your own, you'll still need to take the car to the dealer to get the BCM programmed for XM.

As a side note, your factory radio will only display XM functionality if your car has XM. You won't see a trace of anything XM if you car is not so equipped, even if you're using the same Nav unit that an XM-equipped car has.

BTW- Don't try to buy a "used" factory XM box. They can only be installed once, as they "lock" to the VIN from the first car to which they installed. This is a hard lock that even the dealer can't reverse. You'll need to buy a new one.

How did I learn all of this? Well, I added factory Nav to my 2007 Tahoe that did not have XM. When I sold the Tahoe and bought the Impala (which DOES have XM), I swapped the same Nav unit into the Impala. Since the Tahoe didn't have XM, I wasn't aware that it was XM capable. When I got the same Nav unit activated in my Impala, all of the XM stations and functions showed up on the touchscreen that were not there before.

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 02-22-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rossko85
second that one!!!!!
havent listened to FM in about 3 years lol
Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll call the dealer to see what options are available. It's not a big issue yet so I probably won't spend a ton of time or money on it. One of my old roommates from college owns a stereo shop, so I may be better off doing something aftermarket.

GXP25: I think Rossko was just trying to help and I think you came accross a bit harsh. Same for me: I used the search function but I didn't find what i was looking for so I posted. I think, for the most part, everyone on here has the intention of helping one another, so it's ok with me if someone posts sometihng in error as long as the intentions are in the right place (I don't think any of us are GM engineers, but we've all broken enough stuff to pick up a thing or two.)
Anyhow, thanks for replying, but please try to be mindful of how you might come accross as it may not be well recieved.

Aside from that, I look forward to your tutorial on the upgrade.

Many thanks all.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, pretty harsh on Rossko85. Forgive me?

At any rate, slomaro2, adding the factory XM isn't an easy task. I will let you know that you do not need any type of dealer reprogramming as that Denso NAV unit is pretty versatile.

I have completed adding XM for quite some time now (a little over a month). The process involves getting a harness out of another Grand Prix with XM and splicing it into your own. This will make life easier versus making your own. The process also involves pulling out all of the seats, center console, and removing the carpet.

I have not put a guide together but I used the following thread to help me out.

http://www.gpona.com/forums/04-08-gr...ll-t18647.html

You and only you can decide if it is worth the "trouble." To me it was. Not only do I enjoy XM's programming, I also enjoy my new PAL (iPod integration).
Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wanna know if I can take out the xm and switch it to sirus and use the factory antenna. Xm doesn't work this high in the arctic I just cuts out a lot.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you need is the SIR-GM1 module.

Here's a how to: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...w-sir-gm1.html

Our XM module is located above the driver's side rear wheel well.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
Oh how I love my xm
I haven't liked XM since the Sirius takeover. I am a big metal head and when they totally changed XM's liquid metal (channel 42) to the gay as hell hard attack, that's where they lost me. I turn it on once in a while for a change of scenery, but it's only for about a day or two tops. I do love Opie and Anthony tho HAHA
Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I will look into it.

Quick Reply: Anybody add XM to a navi head unit on GXP? I would like to but...