LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Bad Plug caused Havoc!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Plug caused Havoc!

I was having some trouble with the SS. I was getting the feared Check Engine Light 3 times in a month. Never got around to scanning it, just reset via battery cable removal. I assumed it was the rear O2 sensor as I have a 3" catted down pipe and used the spark plug extender to move the sensor out away from pipe. Well.............. After driving through some nasty *** wet snow storm and slush, I got a "Service Traction Control" warning, flashing engine light, TC light, I had a light show on the dashboard!There was a roar or rough noise coming from engine/tire area??? Next day, the traction control light went away, but the car was running crappy, on 7 cylinders! I took it out and ran it hard and it finally ran better, for about a day and a half. Today, the Service Traction Control warning was back several times and engine was running like crap. Finally got a steady check engine light and read the code. PO301, Misfire faulty, cylinder1. Ok, I wait for engine to cool, go out after dinner and pull the wire and plug on #1 cylinder (glad it was the front side of engine). Well holly crap Batman!! Plug was super fouled because a piece of the ceramic insulator on the center electrode had broken off, probably some time ago. That plug couldn't fire a chain saw. I brought plug to Local Advance Auto and to my surprise, I got a new one for free. I guess Delco guarentees them for 3 years. Anyway, I replace the plug and she is running like a champ again, no codes, no Traction Control Warning. I am wondering if the misfire had anything to do with the traction control warning mesaage, or was it unrelated and I am going to see the warning again???
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Glad that didn't cause any more damage!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Thats some crazy ****. You didn't hear anything audible that would warn you of this?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

i had something simular happen, was coming off the highway and all of a sudden it started running like **** and the check engine light came on. so i pulled into one of the parts stors and read the code (misfire on cylinder 1) so i pulled the plug and there was a little piece of carbon stuck in the spark plug, so i cleaned it , put it back in and was on my way.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for hahas I pulled the front plugs just to see how they were burning. Not surprised, the DOD plugs had a coating of deposits on them, as opposed to the non DOD plugs which looked very clean.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

I'm glad my DoD is gone lol
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Well 24 hours and 60 miles later and all is still well, no codes or lights, engine is smoother then its been in a while, milage seems to be improved, we'll knock on some wood and see what happens. This spring or summer, the other 7 plugs are getting replaced when I put in the LS6 intake, but thats another Post.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks mike we might need to at least change DOD plugs more often. but if we are going to the trouble might as well do all 8

Quick Reply: Bad Plug caused Havoc!