LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How much exhaust wrap needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much exhaust wrap needed?

Hey all,

I'm going to be wrapping my crossover and my new hogan downpipe when it gets heres, but I'm wondering how much exhaust wrap I should buy in order to have enough for these two pipes?

I'm getting the 2" dei wrap, but just need to know if I should get a 15' or 50' length.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a 25' roll and had about 6' left over. I wrapped both the x-over and dp. It sucks they don't make an in-between roll of that. I purchased mine off of E-Bay for about 15 dollars.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks, I guess I'll get the 50' and just have leftovers. I'll see if some buddies want to use some.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your welcome. Glad to help.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

why do you put wrap on ur downpipe? i have never used it...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

It keeps the heat in the pipes for better exhaust velocity. Wrapping the DP will create less heat in the engine bay since half of the DP is near the rear head. It is directly below it. Remember heat rises and if it is kept in the pipe it has no where to go but out the exhaust.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

anything to keep the heat out of these engines is a good thing. Heat soak kills these engines.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Just keep in mind when you wrap your down pipe that header manufactures will not warranty their headers when heat wrap is used on them because the wrap often will cause them to rust and corrode much faster, even coated headers. The wrap will do the same to your down pipe, even stainless steel, it holds in moisture and water, either splashed or humidity. The cross pipe has the aluminum heat shield which is what is actually wrapped so I doubt there will be much problem there. The idea of holding in heat in the pipes though is correct. The more heat you can hold in the pipe, the faster the hot gases move though and the better the exhaust evacuation. = More power.
The rumor that heat wrap makes you better looking has not been proved though, but I think I am better looking since I put it on my cross pipe! LOL
Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

I swear by the wrap! that 50ft roll will do you more than enough...LOL just give it to your friends like you said....But i tell ya...with this rear mount...that stuff is night and day for spooling this thing in the rear and in the exhaust track...it is a HUGE help as said above, for the velocity of the exhaust...more exhaust energy due to hotter exhaust makes more exhaust energy
Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tappeter
Just keep in mind when you wrap your down pipe that header manufactures will not warranty their headers when heat wrap is used on them because the wrap often will cause them to rust and corrode much faster, even coated headers. The wrap will do the same to your down pipe, even stainless steel, it holds in moisture and water, either splashed or humidity. The cross pipe has the aluminum heat shield which is what is actually wrapped so I doubt there will be much problem there. The idea of holding in heat in the pipes though is correct. The more heat you can hold in the pipe, the faster the hot gases move though and the better the exhaust evacuation. = More power.
The rumor that heat wrap makes you better looking has not been proved though, but I think I am better looking since I put it on my cross pipe! LOL
well if its going to cause it to corrode then idk if i want to wrap my down pipe
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Launching!

for the guys that wrapped their dp's, did you wrap over the flex section as well?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DieselPump
for the guys that wrapped their dp's, did you wrap over the flex section as well?

Thanks
sure did
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Launching!

awesome, thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: How much exhaust wrap needed?