LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Replaced the brakes, but didn't need to!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced the brakes, but didn't need to!

Was going in for inspection, so after 60,000 miles, I figure I better put in new brake pads before dealer tells me I need them to pass inspection and tried to rape me on price.. Surprise... the original pads still had way more then half left, maybe 3/4 of original thickness, I was very surprised. I replaced them anyway (with Advance Auto's premium ceramic brakes, on sale at their web site), seeing as I had the wheels off and calipers pulled back. I saved the old pads, if I need brakes again, I can use them! Rotors were great, smooth, no gouge's or ruts, very little wear. I must be using the parachute to stop more then the brakes!! (kidding). Easiest brake job I ever did, hardest part was jacking up car and taking off wheels!. Other then that, just one bolt (guide pin) removed, swing caliper up, compress pistons, replace pads, swing caliper back down, put back and tighten bolt (guide pin) done. (Clean whole brake assembly with spray brake cleaning fluid before starting). Thats it... easy!