LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Mystery noise found. I think.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery noise found. I think.

I've been chasing this noise, coming from the rear of the car, ever since I bought it. Thought it was maybe a sway bar link. Nope, those are fine. So, I just figured I would have to do struts in the near future. Whatever, I'll get to them when I get to them.

But today while drying the exhaust tips after washing the car, I smacked the bottom of the bumper with my hand and heard the noise. Turns out the bumper support isn't held in there too securely, just a few of those push-in plastic clips and can be moved around quite easily.

I was thinking about replacing those plastic clips with some self-tapping screws. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to remedy it?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get new clips and see how that goes.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

i had some noise whenever i would go slow over a bump.. pulled the struts to take a look, all good, even greased up the rubber parts and everything but it still made the noise but for the past 6000 miles i havn't heard nothing. ummm i may have to check out what you said.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna take a better look at it on my next day off. Maybe pull the bumper off and see what's doing under there.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the energy absorber is held in with those self tapping plastic "bolts" it has a hex head on it, i wouldnt go any bigger at all, the absorber is only polyproeplene plastic so it breaks very easy
Old 07-10-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Old thread, I know but I have fixed the problem and it only cost me 6 bucks. All I did was spray some of that "Great Stuff" between the bumper support and the energy absorber. Problem solved, just thought I'd share.