LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HELP! Car going to dealer for tranny problem tonight: Will my Tune be caught?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default HELP! Car going to dealer for tranny problem tonight: Will my Tune be caught?

So, in my last thread, I described the wierd pulsing my tranny is doing at cruising speeds. We've arranged to bring it into the dealer to be looked at and fixed under warranty.

The thing is, my car has a custom DiabloSport tune right now, and my wife won't be able to make it down with the programmer before I drop the car off. Will the dealer know if I have non-stock tuning? Would the tune show up in a diagnostic, or would they actually have to do a PCM dump and review the program line-by-line?

My tune is nothing fancy. The DoD is still enabled, the torque management is factory stock. The only changes that were made was to the fuel and spark curves, so the car drives normally. Also, I have not installed my CAI, so I'm completely stock under the hood. My mufflers have been removed, but the rest of the exhaust is stock. There's nothing else to tip off that the car might be modded or to give the dealer a reason to look at the PCM.

We live about 94 miles between our dealer and work, and I don't want to drive the car one more roundtrip cycle for fear that the trans goes completely.

What are the chances they find out?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
So, in my last thread, I described the wierd pulsing my tranny is doing at cruising speeds. We've arranged to bring it into the dealer to be looked at and fixed under warranty.

The thing is, my car has a custom DiabloSport tune right now, and my wife won't be able to make it down with the programmer before I drop the car off. Will the dealer know if I have non-stock tuning? Would the tune show up in a diagnostic, or would they actually have to do a PCM dump and review the program line-by-line?

My tune is nothing fancy. The DoD is still enabled, the torque management is factory stock. The only changes that were made was to the fuel and spark curves, so the car drives normally. Also, I have not installed my CAI, so I'm completely stock under the hood. My mufflers have been removed, but the rest of the exhaust is stock. There's nothing else to tip off that the car might be modded or to give the dealer a reason to look at the PCM.

We live about 94 miles between our dealer and work, and I don't want to drive the car one more roundtrip cycle for fear that the trans goes completely.

What are the chances they find out?
I think the 94 mile trip might be worth making versus the dealer voiding your warranty. Think price of a new transmission and anything else that may happen in the future versus a 94 mile road trip and a ~$50 tow bill that most dealers might probably cover, considering the appointment you made ahead of time.

Do you only have one car?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
I think the 94 mile trip might be worth making versus the dealer voiding your warranty. Think price of a new transmission and anything else that may happen in the future versus a 94 mile road trip and a ~$50 tow bill that most dealers might probably cover, considering the appointment you made ahead of time.

Do you only have one car?
We have 3 cars, actually, but the distances and timeframes involved make getting it in after today very difficult.

As a side note, our dealer is a Cadillac store that just recently took on Chevy. I wonder if Cadillac techs are last apt to look for mods?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a portable tuner I'd meet half way then.

I personally wouldn't risk voiding the warranty. Next time, you might want to invest in a separate ECM and TCM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
If you have a portable tuner I'd meet half way then.

I personally wouldn't risk voiding the warranty. Next time, you might want to invest in a separate ECM and TCM.
You're probably right.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they reflash your ECM your tuner will be locked. You have to reinstall the factory tune to your car otherwise you may end up with a worthless tuner. That is if you are using the DiabloSport Predator Tuner. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would having your vehicle tuned make it fail inspection?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Update:

We parked the car last night and drove back this morning (all 94 miles) with the DiabloSport. I restored the factory tune, then pulled the PCM fuse for a few minutes. The irony is, before restoring the tune, I went for a quick drive to see if the problem was still there. The Check Engine light came on, and when I scanned it, I got code P0700. After I reflashed the stock tune, the light went out and the code was gone.

I then drove the car to the dealer, but the light did not return. Anyway, at least I have peace-of-mind knowing that there's a stock tune in the PCM.

Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the dealer.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that's because, every time you flash the ecm, trouble codes get cleared/erased and reset - just like fuel trims, all of the emissions readiness tests, etc etc...

and it will take a few driving cycles for the trouble code to manifest itself again.... and for all the emissions tests to run and report as "completed", and ltft's relearned and settled in, etc etc etc.

now the dealer won't see that there's a thrown trouble code for your problem LOL

btw - I had replied to your email last night... ;-)

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
that's because, every time you flash the ecm, trouble codes get cleared/erased and reset - just like fuel trims, all of the emissions readiness tests, etc etc...

and it will take a few driving cycles for the trouble code to manifest itself again.... and for all the emissions tests to run and report as "completed", and ltft's relearned and settled in, etc etc etc.

now the dealer won't see that there's a thrown trouble code for your problem LOL

btw - I had replied to your email last night... ;-)
Yes, Lew. Thanks for the response. After reading your e-mail, we decided to just let it sit so we could bring the programmer back this morning. This way, I don't have to worry. Glad you (and the rest of the folks in this thread) talked some sense into me.

And yes, while there is no code for now, all it will take is a few minutes of driving in the car to know that something is seriously wrong!