LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Exhaust Smell In Cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Smell In Cabin?

well i took my car to the exhaust shop yesterday to get the cutout moved from where the res. used to be to on the DP. my fiance took it in since i had to work so i never got to hear it but i guess it is LOUD which is what i wanted. he put the cap on it til my e-cutout gets back to me next week since it went to **** awhile back. the exhaust guy said that exhaust would get into the cabin with how the cutout was located now but after it was capped i can still smell the exhaust when i come to a stop and sit for a little bit. is there a reason as to why i am still smelling exhaust even though the cutout is completely capped and bolted on? i guess he said he can put some type of pipe on there to help direct the exhaust away from the cabin next week but im just trying to figure out why the exhaust is still coming into the car?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not fully welded? Sometimes they do not get a complete weld on the top of the piping. Not sure if that's it or not but something to check.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Not fully welded? Sometimes they do not get a complete weld on the top of the piping. Not sure if that's it or not but something to check.

-Mike
thats what im guessing, not after 2 weeks after i got my cutout installed it already has exhaust leaks like crazy,,, f*ckin janky exhaust shops.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill have the guy check again for leaks...he got the dump up pretty close to the flex so he may have missed a spot....good thing he fixes mistakes for free.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle

-Mike
Do you think the top has a hole there it was hard for the welder to get at the down pipe
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

that may be the problem cuz my fiance took a pic on her phone and that baby is up there pretty good.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Launching!

The best long term solution is to have the shop remove the down pipe and check and weld the cutout onto it on a bench rather then while its still in the car. That way they can get a good weld all the way around and see what they are doing. Make sure you have new good quality gaskets. I have seen plenty of "new" cheapo gaskets leak from the start.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats prolly what i should have had him do in the first place....oh well hopefully it will get fixed next week cuz inhaling exhaust isnt a lot of fun lol

Quick Reply: Exhaust Smell In Cabin?