LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

True Duels W/ x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking True Duels W/ x-pipe?

Ok, so I got a burr up my *** and decide I wanted true duels. Now the only way this would work would be to use an x-pipe so the o2 sensor would still read both front and rear banks(put it in place of the y-pipe). So I called Nice at DT and ran this by him and he doesn't think it would be an issue to do this. So my question to you guys is would any of you guys have any interest in this? I don't have any other details other then what I have told you. BuickRacer is taking his car in sometime next week I guess to have his headers installed Nice said he would look at it then to see what would have to be done.

I think it would be Bad *** to see a W-Body with duel side exit exhaust just a thought!!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you are looking at drilling/tapping the center of an X-pipe, building a section to link each manifold pipe to the X-pipe, then keeping dual pipes aft of it (obviously ditching the catalytic converter as it won't fit, plus you will be one short). Putting two (again, obviously) smaller pipes in the place where the single pipe/converter sat. If you can make it work, I would expect you to see a bit more low end torque and choking off your top end pretty substantially from the smaller diameter pipes. Your car, your choices, just makes no sense to me going that route.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06 SS
So you are looking at drilling/tapping the center of an X-pipe, building a section to link each manifold pipe to the X-pipe, then keeping dual pipes aft of it (obviously ditching the catalytic converter as it won't fit, plus you will be one short). Putting two (again, obviously) smaller pipes in the place where the single pipe/converter sat. If you can make it work, I would expect you to see a bit more low end torque and choking off your top end pretty substantially from the smaller diameter pipes. Your car, your choices, just makes no sense to me going that route.
You are incorrect sir. If anything you would gain top end and lose bottom end. If it were an h-pipe you would lose top end and gain bottom end, and how can you say the going from a single 3 inch to duel 2.5 inch would be restrictive? That sir makes no sense. Duel 2.5 inch would be like running 5 inch.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what you're talking about is not having the two "banks" collect/merge into one?

EDIT:

So you're hoping Doug Thorley would just make a custom "collector" piece? Is there even enough space to run duals down the back?

Last edited by GXP25; 04-07-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added pic.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

What you would be doing is going from a y-pipe to an x-pipe. I don'y know if you would really net any real gains but it would be sweet.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Thinking, that this would be an expensive mod and worthless. Would this be for looks, or peformance?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I guess just for looks, sound, and to say you had it lol. You are right it could be expensive like I said gains would be negligible if at all.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

our set up is kinda the same as the 4th gen Fbody.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I think it would be cool!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think it would cost too much. You could run it out the back or out the side which would be F%$#in sweet I think. If you did it out the side you could use this muffler http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/11378/10002/-1
Which would cut on cost a bit.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI this has been talked about before...you cannot due a true dual exhaust because there isn't the room....search around first.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
Just FYI this has been talked about before...you cannot due a true dual exhaust because there isn't the room....search around first.

A search would be worthless, because Thorley headers are now available - which sort of makes true duals an option.

I wouldn't bother, too much effort for too little results.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe, maybe not but,...
I was looking at this area before the collector, you can cut the collector and run duals from here but I think they would have to be very close together as it travels to the rear! or else the left would hang so low!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
That’s what people said about the F-body’s but I have seen people with true duals on them. Its call imagination and that doesn’t always mean a **** load of money. If no one wants to go in on this that’s fine, but there’s no need to bash me for asking.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07carlocrusader
Maybe, maybe not but,...
I was looking at this area before the collector, you can cut the collector and run duals from here but I think they would have to be very close together as it travels to the rear! or else the left would hang so low!!

You are right sir, but you would have to have the x-pipe so the upstream o2 can read both banks and not just one.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had true duals on my 94 ford taurus 3.8L, 2 pipes side by side and at the spare tire section split with cherry bomb glass packs.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Haulin_Ls4_GxP
That’s what people said about the F-body’s but I have seen people with true duals on them. Its call imagination and that doesn’t always mean a **** load of money. If no one wants to go in on this that’s fine, but there’s no need to bash me for asking.

I think its possible!! Anything is possible....as a matter of fact,...watch somebody do it!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here look at this. This is on a 97 - 03 Grand Prix but certainly should work for 04+ since a 97 - 03 cat-back will fit on the 04+ Grand Prix by adding another hanger iirc.

http://www.nepontiac.org/forum/viewt...ighlight=duals

-Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haulin_Ls4_GxP
You are incorrect sir. If anything you would gain top end and lose bottom end. If it were an h-pipe you would lose top end and gain bottom end, and how can you say the going from a single 3 inch to duel 2.5 inch would be restrictive? That sir makes no sense. Duel 2.5 inch would be like running 5 inch.
I will try one more time. Ignoring the fact that the nominal inner pipe diameter is less than the stated value due to wall thickness. Yes, if you could fit two 2.5" pipes then you would gain 38% more cross-sectional area over a single 3" pipe. That is a minimum of 5" x 2.5" x "length after X-pipe)" of required space if you have them touching each other. Good luck getting them in there. If you could somehow squeeze dual 2" pipes into the space available, then you would lose 12% cross-sectional area over a single 3" pipe. With that, or anything smaller, my assertions are correct. Dual 2.5 inch pipes is not at all like running a single 5 inch pipe. Matter of fact, the 5" would have twice as much flow area (ignoring frictional losses) as twin 2.5" pipes (or four times as big as a single 2.5" pipe).
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I would love to see it and here it!!

Quick Reply: True Duels W/ x-pipe?