LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Electric cutout wire hook up??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric cutout wire hook up??

I am getting ready to install my electric exhaust cutout. I believe for ground clearance sake I will be installing it in the rear where the pipe winds around the gas tank on the passenger side before the mufflers. There are plenty of pics from other threads on this. MY QUESTION: Where/how should I run the wiring. Of those of you that have done this: Where did you tap +12v (pos) and where did you run your wires and switch. I made a nice heavy long fused cable and switch harness using a spring loaded centering dpdt rocker switch with center normal off. I ran the cutout wires to one side of the switch terminals, chris-crossed wires to the other far side terminals and have pos & ground coming to center terminals. This way it reverses polarity when switch in flipped from one way to other and always springs back to center off when released. I have heard of tapping one of the 12v outlets in console (cigar lighter sockets). Are these good curcuits? Suggestions???
Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know this as well. I'm going to be starting the wiring tomorrow. I had the cutout welded up today at a performance shop. It's the oval QTP and no clearance issues. They came up with a great idea and welded it up on my magna flow catback right at the back where the pipes split for the mufflers. It's on the backside of the pipe so the exit is in the area of the spare. The downpipe at the front is actually hanging lower.
There is some more work shaping the cutout tube but it was worth it.

My plan is to drill a hole under the passenger floor pan and add a small grommet to hold the wire. It's really small one so I'm going to have to unsolder the plug to feed it through. Also planning on wiring to the lighter. Once I get it apart I'll have a better idea.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that others tapped the "lighter" outlets for power, was just wondering if they removed the center console for access or just tapped the fuse box. How hard is it to remove console in a Monte? I know there are screws in bottom when you lift open the center arm rest, but where else?

Quick Reply: Electric cutout wire hook up??