LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

wanting to convert to non DOD with lifters etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting to convert to non DOD with lifters etc...

Can someone give me a little insight on this and maybe their experiences or "how to" with our motor....the thing is, this is an LS short block...FWD Ive see where some other LS cars and the G8 just switch to the LS2 vallley covers and different trays etc....but Im not real sure if this applies to us...I know that our oil pump is the high capacity...which im sure you guys know about...its the 30% higer flowing pump for the DOD to load the lifters...which i have been told is too much for the conversion lifters....so would have to downgrade the oil pump etc....along with upgrading to an LS2 timing chain etc...this is all in good measure for a cam and aftermarket pushrods and springs....

So someone give me some insight if at all possible....i was told that its as easy as just dropping some LS1,2,6 high energy lifters in and turning the DOD off in the tune...?? I checked with sittingmongoose who has done it but, he said he isnt real sure as he had a shop do it for him....

Thanks in advance!!

Ross

Last edited by Rossko85; 04-18-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll need different lifter retainer trays - at least for the cylinders that had the DOD lifters.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's like $20 for the 4 lifter trays. Happens to be one cylinder on each set of two.

Changing the cam and intake?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rossko85
Can someone give me a little insight on this and maybe their experiences or "how to" with our motor....the thing is, this is an LS short block...FWD Ive see where some other LS cars and the G8 just switch to the LS2 vallley covers and different trays etc....but Im not real sure if this applies to us...I know that our oil pump is the high capacity...which im sure you guys know about...its the 30% higer flowing pump for the DOD to load the lifters...which i have been told is too much for the conversion lifters....so would have to downgrade the oil pump etc....along with upgrading to an LS2 timing chain etc...this is all in good measure for a cam and aftermarket pushrods and springs....

So someone give me some insight if at all possible....i was told that its as easy as just dropping some LS1,2,6 high energy lifters in and turning the DOD off in the tune...?? I checked with sittingmongoose who has done it but, he said he isnt real sure as he had a shop do it for him....

Thanks in advance!!

Ross
Check this out maybe it will help some.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...questions.html
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by neilownz
That's like $20 for the 4 lifter trays. Happens to be one cylinder on each set of two.

Changing the cam and intake?
Looking to do a Rear mount turbo cam and port my TB and intake
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

What year is your car? 2008 you will have to change the timing sprocket to the 3 bolt and ditch the vvt unless you go with a comp 1 bolt cam... I think they might have a couple out, but I'm not totally sure. Maybe they will grind something specific for you.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by neilownz
What year is your car? 2008 you will have to change the timing sprocket to the 3 bolt and ditch the vvt unless you go with a comp 1 bolt cam... I think they might have a couple out, but I'm not totally sure. Maybe they will grind something specific for you.

Ok...so yeah...thats what ive been running into...wtf is my bolt...I guess they are different...but most of them according to comp cams are 1 bolt...although they have seen some factory freak 3 bolts...but 05-08 calls for a single bolt....they said they can grind me a single bolt cam to the same speck of the rear mount turbo LSr cam im looking at.....so if thats the case....do i still need to change the timing chain too?

Im just looking for a simple "parts list" on this car to do a single bolt cam swap LOL...

ive got that I need to get the LS2 valley cover....not sure if i need to plug holes or where....i see some info but, its just NOT ENOUGH...and i know i need the LS2 trays and get some LS1,2,6 OE high energy lifters...this cam calls for the regular style lifters...but non dod of course....

and then some say i need to upgrade the oil pump to an LS6 pump....

and i need to get 2 water manifold gaskets.....Im really confused on it LOL....somebody please give me some insight...please take the time...i would for you guys...you know my post LOL...

THANKS GUYS!!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, if I knew, you know I'd take the time and help you out. I just wish I did know.

You're gonna have to wait for some of the cam guys to chime in.

nmp0098 is one that comes to mind.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

07+ will be the single bolt and have an E67 ecm. Just get a gm stock replacement chain if you are going to replace it. Might not be necessary if you don't have many miles. The timing chain tensioner and maybe the timing cover and cam position sensor are different.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

I saw I got called out last week, but I have been crazy busy the last 2 weeks and I haven't had time to post. Rossko, did you still have questions? I'll help if I can. Also, your PM Inbox is full.