LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Warranty expires in 2 months / 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warranty expires in 2 months / 3000 miles

Guys, the factory warranty is about to expire on my 06 Impala SS. Already had the brake rotors turned about 6 months ago and they arre still OK. Trans seem ok, but I know some guys have problems with them, and if there is anything anyone can recommend to do or have checked before the warranty ends, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

---The power steering line

---AC vents for a clicking noise

---Any odd wear patterns in the leather
Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

check the ISS and struts along with what was mentioned.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Extend your Warranty!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Extend your Warranty!!!
X2

As for the trans, mine was fine one day, on it's way out the next. Not much warning, though some people on the board here have had them go over time.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Extend your Warranty!!!
X3! YUP!

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
X2

As for the trans, mine was fine one day, on it's way out the next. Not much warning, though some people on the board here have had them go over time.
The best $1,000 I spent lately was a 48/48 extended GM warranty from Black Pontiac in Pennslyvania.

The local GM yokels all tried to sell me some aftermarket offbrand I'd never heard of. Said it was "much easier getting work done" with offbrand vs. GM. NOT TRUE.

Of course, it may have helped that after the idiot dealer replaced the complete Radio/CD/Nav unit ($1660 part) they tried to blow us off. "Yeah, well AM radio is going away, so don't worry about it, AM reception will always suck" or some such BS.
Thanks ******** for not fixing the problem.
At that point I found a GM 800 number online, and contacted them. I had a case manager named Asom who "helped" the dealer understand the radio problem needed to get fixed.

The GD radio tomfoolery cost about $2,000 by itself (had it in about six times trying to get AM working), then the LR strut went bad (they think) so they replaced that, and it didn't cost me 500 bucks or whatever they charged.

Sorry to say it, GM, but this car has been one trouble-prone beast. If I'd paid near sticker for this thing new, believe me I would be one PO'd GM customer.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
X3! YUP!

The best $1,000 I spent lately was a 48/48 extended GM warranty from Black Pontiac in Pennslyvania.

The local GM yokels all tried to sell me some aftermarket offbrand I'd never heard of. Said it was "much easier getting work done" with offbrand vs. GM. NOT TRUE.

Of course, it may have helped that after the idiot dealer replaced the complete Radio/CD/Nav unit ($1660 part) they tried to blow us off. "Yeah, well AM radio is going away, so don't worry about it, AM reception will always suck" or some such BS.
Thanks ******** for not fixing the problem.
At that point I found a GM 800 number online, and contacted them. I had a case manager named Asom who "helped" the dealer understand the radio problem needed to get fixed.

The GD radio tomfoolery cost about $2,000 by itself (had it in about six times trying to get AM working), then the LR strut went bad (they think) so they replaced that, and it didn't cost me 500 bucks or whatever they charged.

Sorry to say it, GM, but this car has been one trouble-prone beast. If I'd paid near sticker for this thing new, believe me I would be one PO'd GM customer.
I feel your pain!

The only GM vehicle that I've had that I would consider a lemon (a 1995 Aurora) was covered by an "aftermarket" extended warranty. When I simultaneously wiped out the tranny and spun 3 rod bearings at 58,000 miles, this aftermarket outfit put a used motor and trans in my car. It was "in the fine print" that no one ever bothers to read. Apaprently, they would "fix" defective components with "like & kind" replacements, so I got stuck with a 60k mile motor and trans from a wreck. less than a year later, the differential gear bearing in the trans went, so that's when propped a brick on the accelerlator pedal and ran the off a cliff into the Pacific. Just joking, of course, but I learned my lesson: Only buy GM extended warranties, and read the coverage terms, just to make sure I'm not getting fucked.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

To get the extended bumper to bumper warranty what kind of hoops do you need to jump through, or can I just just go into my dealer and express what I'm interested in? $1,000 for covers what for how long?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
To get the extended bumper to bumper warranty what kind of hoops do you need to jump through, or can I just just go into my dealer and express what I'm interested in? $1,000 for covers what for how long?
There are many options, anywhere from an additional 12/12 on up to 100,000 miles. I chose 48/48 (on top of current miles) with zero deductible, it cost about 980 + some fee of some sort of about 25 bucks.

Ask your dealer for a quote, then call Black Pontiac. It will probably be less bucks for more coverage. Any GM dealer can sell you the warranty.

I could have paid more for more coverage. At the time I had a 2 yr 9 mo in-service car with about 18,300 miles. Price will depend to some degree on your miles.
No inspection.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
There are many options, anywhere from an additional 12/12 on up to 100,000 miles. I chose 48/48 (on top of current miles) with zero deductible, it cost about 980 + some fee of some sort of about 25 bucks.

Ask your dealer for a quote, then call Black Pontiac. It will probably be less bucks for more coverage. Any GM dealer can sell you the warranty.

I could have paid more for more coverage. At the time I had a 2 yr 9 mo in-service car with about 18,300 miles. Price will depend to some degree on your miles.
No inspection.
Definitely pays to shop. I think it's cheaper of you're still under waranty, too. Thing is, GM will only waranty to 100k miles. They stopped writing stuff beyond a 100k a couple of years ago, and this makes some plans less of a value for those of us who put a lot mileage on our cars. Be sure to study your options i.e., years versus miles.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Launching!

I was never really big on spending the money on an extended warranty, but with todays prices, $1000 for 4 years would be a good deal. I'll look into that. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, I'll also look into it.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got mine I bought the GM 48/48 as well.

I have 10K left before it runs out, I am thinking about getting another one...I haven't even had to use the thing yet!!!

And now my car will blow up on the way home
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
When I got mine I bought the GM 48/48 as well.

I have 10K left before it runs out, I am thinking about getting another one...I haven't even had to use the thing yet!!!

And now my car will blow up on the way home
At least it'll still be covered!