LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Couple issues, tranny and HU maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple issues, tranny and HU maybe?

Well pretty sure my tranny is on the way out. Almost 52k on the clock. The last month or so when going from reverse to drive (with a complete stop between) you wouldnt feel it engage until you gave it throttle. Thought maybe its just me and I am not giving it time but after it doing it a few more times I figured it was a sign. Well my wife said it did it to her in the drive through the other day just sitting still. Well sure enough in stop and go traffic tonight once you came to a stop and went to push in the gas, nothing, then clunk engage into gear (with it in drive the entire time). I noticed its sloppy shifting into second as well as it almost feel like it falls on its face when shifting especially at higher rpm's. Typical tranny going out signs I guess??

My other issue my wife pointed out a few week ago was a crackling from a rear speaker. Well tonight sure enough it just starts going it from the driver rear speaker. The thing is it even does it with the radio off and does after the car goes off until 60 seconds or whatever that setting is that leaves the lights on. Now it has being raining real hard the last few days but I see no signs of any water back there so curious if maybe the speaker or HU or what. Tranny is under warranty but this would not be. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwilks
Well pretty sure my tranny is on the way out. Almost 52k on the clock. The last month or so when going from reverse to drive (with a complete stop between) you wouldnt feel it engage until you gave it throttle. Thought maybe its just me and I am not giving it time but after it doing it a few more times I figured it was a sign. Well my wife said it did it to her in the drive through the other day just sitting still. Well sure enough in stop and go traffic tonight once you came to a stop and went to push in the gas, nothing, then clunk engage into gear (with it in drive the entire time). I noticed its sloppy shifting into second as well as it almost feel like it falls on its face when shifting especially at higher rpm's. Typical tranny going out signs I guess??

My other issue my wife pointed out a few week ago was a crackling from a rear speaker. Well tonight sure enough it just starts going it from the driver rear speaker. The thing is it even does it with the radio off and does after the car goes off until 60 seconds or whatever that setting is that leaves the lights on. Now it has being raining real hard the last few days but I see no signs of any water back there so curious if maybe the speaker or HU or what. Tranny is under warranty but this would not be. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
There seems to be 2 different sets of symptoms that occur when these trannies get ready to go, and you seem to be experiencing one of them. My advice is to get the car to a dealer ASAP. You should have the 100K mile powertrain warranty if you bought new or certified used, and it would be covered under that. If they rebuild or replace the tranny, be sure to get them to install a new torque converter, as that's probably what's failing and killing your transmission.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

i wonder for the people still on the stock trans if we replace the torque converter if it would save our trans?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
i wonder for the people still on the stock trans if we replace the torque converter if it would save our trans?
Mine's been rebuilt and has a new factory torque converter. As soon as the warranty is up this November, I'm going to get a TEP converter so I don't have to worry.

Everything that I've read tells me it's the converter that takes out the tranny, and that the factory converter is a piece of shoddy engineering.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great advice LS1. X 2...

These torque converters do suck a$$! Also stay away from PATC's Raptor Converter too. Those are almost as bad...

-Mike
Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Great advice LS1. X 2...

These torque converters do suck a$$! Also stay away from PATC's Raptor Converter too. Those are almost as bad...

-Mike
I learned most of it from you!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Mine's been doing this forever....lol

As well as surging under light throttle. Actually it's been doing this for over 20k miles and the clunk for maybe 15k. Crossing my fingers...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had my car a week and it started doin that i took it back to dealer they said nothing was wrong. i drove around for about 2 hours took it back got a guy to ride with me and bang stopped movin all together. they took the car for a month and replace old trans with a remaned jasper trans with a 3 year 100k warranty. your lucky it hasnt went yet.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

I'm extremely lucky. I believe all that's holding it together is magic and miracles.

Could driving habits be keeping it alive? Cause I beat the **** out of her.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I'm extremely lucky. I believe all that's holding it together is magic and miracles.

Could driving habits be keeping it alive? Cause I beat the **** out of her.
haha thats what i was thinking,