LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Intake Swap, someone explain this

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Swap, someone explain this

What are the options and procedures as far as what goes on under the intake in the valley cover area. I'm not concerned with keeping DoD. What are the options as far as making this work?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the stock valley cover feeds pressurized oil to the eight DOD lifters when the DOD solenoids are active, the gasket on the valley cover seals these eight oil channels.

You can sort of see this in this pic.

If deleting DOD through a valley cover swap, you probably want to ensure that these oil channels are sealed off to avoid having oil flow back from the lifters. Two options - plug the lifter holes or see if the LS4 gasket works with other valley covers. I think someone mentioned that the LS2 cover has the right gasket.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Launching!

#1: Use a stock valley cover and have the OPS tower cut at an angle and rewelded, that's what I did, it moves the OPS out of the way of the TB and it retains DOD. ( Stock LS4 manifold has the infamous restrictive D cutout in the intake throut to accomodate the OPS)
#2 Contact Street & Performance in Mena, AR. Their number is (479) 394-5711. The web address is www.hotrodlane.cc. They will have everything that you need to make the swap They have a machine valley cover and adaptor the moves OPS mount sideways. This also keeps DOD
#3 Use a valley cover from a NON DOD LS engine, remove DOD hardware. Have DOD turned off with tune
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tappeter
#1: Use a stock valley cover and have the OPS tower cut at an angle and rewelded, that's what I did, it moves the OPS out of the way of the TB and it retains DOD. ( Stock LS4 manifold has the infamous restrictive D cutout in the intake throut to accomodate the OPS)
#2 Contact Street & Performance in Mena, AR. Their number is (479) 394-5711. The web address is www.hotrodlane.cc. They will have everything that you need to make the swap They have a machine valley cover and adaptor the moves OPS mount sideways. This also keeps DOD
#3 Use a valley cover from a NON DOD LS engine, remove DOD hardware. Have DOD turned off with tune
What is involved in "removing DoD hardware"?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Bump. Does changing to a non-LS4 valley cover still require the OPSU to be relocated?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes

Every one has an OPSU mount that interferes with the neck on any intake manifold other than the LS4.

f'n GM
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Yes

Every one has an OPSU mount that interferes with the neck on any intake manifold other than the LS4.

f'n GM
What's the point of going to another Valley cover, then?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Livernois Motorsports sells a DOD delete kit for G8s:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=1927

I believe they have some plugs for the DOD lifter oil feeds, but you probably want to call them. Hopefully, they'll sell you just the parts you need, although doing the cam swap with their kit sure wouldn't hurt anything.

I'm pretty sure that all Gen IV castings have the OPSU in the same location, and that even with the LS2 valley cover you will have throttle neck clearence issues with the OPSU in the stock location. There are a couple threads with links to alternative valley covers for reverse mount intake manifolds (normal for us).
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
What's the point of going to another Valley cover, then?
The LS2 valley cover doesn't feed oil through the manifold cast into the DOD LS engines. It has a mounting location for the OPSU and seals the rest of the system off.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nmp0098
The LS2 valley cover doesn't feed oil through the manifold cast into the DOD LS engines. It has a mounting location for the OPSU and seals the rest of the system off.
So is another valley cover required? Could you possibly just cut and reweld the OPSU on the factory valley cover?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's mine, with the DOD connector extended...

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS4 valley cover can be modified to fit a 78mm intake. Those who want to go to a 90mm LS2 or FAST need to use the LS2 valley cover. The LS2 can be modified enough to clear the larger intake neck.

I've seen something similar done to an LS7 swapped Fiero (intake in FWD orientation).
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
LS4 valley cover can be modified to fit a 78mm intake. Those who want to go to a 90mm LS2 or FAST need to use the LS2 valley cover. The LS2 can be modified enough to clear the larger intake neck.

I've seen something similar done to an LS7 swapped Fiero (intake in FWD orientation).
What kind of modification is necessary to make the 78mm fit?

If I went the LS2 route, what would be necessary besides relocating the UPSU? Are there any advantages to doing the LS2 besides fitting a larger TB?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS2 is cheaper than the LS6, but doesn't flow quite as good as the LS6. There is no advantage going to a LS2 intake other than "bragging rights" over a big TB that isn't really necessary anyway.

There's a few threads on the LS6 swap. What it boils down to is cutting the OPSU mount at an angle, rotating the top piece 180*, and welding back on. This angles the sender enough to clear the LS6 intake neck. The problem is that you have to cut fairly high up because of the oil feed to the DOD solenoids - you just can't create enough clearance for a larger TB. Not an issue on the other valley covers because no DOD oil feed.

You can see the finished mount in my post above, but here's a slightly closer shot.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I should have specified...is there an advantage to the LS2 valley cover over the cut and rewelded factory one?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Sorry, I should have specified...is there an advantage to the LS2 valley cover over the cut and rewelded factory one?
I don't see one. You have to either do the same cut and weld on the LS2, or go with the Livernois adapter, which requires milling...six of one, half a dozen of the other.

The LS2 requires DOD delete...
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

So basically, if you don't care about keeping DoD you might as well just unplug it and use the LS4 valley cover with modified OPSU.

Very good. I'm getting cought up now. Just wanting to make sure of what I was getting into.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

What about the Katech?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://store.katechengines.com/modif...take-p149.aspx
Old 05-20-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Just called them.

I'm thinking having a friend weld the stocker would PROBABLY be better than the 260+ of buying the premade one....

Quick Reply: Intake Swap, someone explain this