LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tbs

Alright, so I just installed the airaid TBS. The "whistle" that everybody is talking about is not heard on my GXP. It just sounds like more air is getting drawn from the K&N. Is this normal, or should it sound like a "whistle"??
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Consider yourself lucky. lol... Have you driven it under load yet? I got my "whistle" at about 2500 rpm's or so.

-Mike
Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM

can you feel a difference? is it honestly worth the money?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluelightning101
can you feel a difference? is it honestly worth the money?
I only drove it for half an hour after I installed it, but yeah I felt a difference. Don't get me wrong, it was only a minor difference, but still. Also, it did give my exhaust a deeper tone (don't ask me how lol). I would try and find one used and save some $$. That's what I did. If you have a K&N, CAI, or FWI it will sound like it's "sucking" more air (at least that's what mine sounds like).
Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Mine whistled...it was more of a high pitched hiss that drove me absolutely insane...but the argument that it increased plenum volume seems logical. On our limited intakes it might heally help out in 2nd gear where the plenum just can't keep up. Who knows...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine kind of sounded like a turbo spooling, i forget though as i havent had mine in like 8 months
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Ok, here's the deal. the "whistle" no doubt comes from the spiral shape machined in the opening bore of TBSs. The idea of the spiral is to theroretically get the air to twist and spin. Those that think a 3/4" thick piece of aluminum with a shallow spiral grooved bore is really going to get air to spin all the way through an intake manifold into the combustion chamber may wanna come see me about some swamp land I wanna sell. lol I made my own TBS out of aluminum, 1 1/2" thick with a smooth 3" bore. This added about 10.6 square inches to plenum volume. It added a small amout of power, nothing radical and NO whistle.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tappeter
Ok, here's the deal. the "whistle" no doubt comes from the spiral shape machined in the opening bore of TBSs. The idea of the spiral is to theroretically get the air to twist and spin. Those that think a 3/4" thick piece of aluminum with a shallow spiral grooved bore is really going to get air to spin all the way through an intake manifold into the combustion chamber may wanna come see me about some swamp land I wanna sell. lol I made my own TBS out of aluminum, 1 1/2" thick with a smooth 3" bore. This added about 10.6 square inches to plenum volume. It added a small amout of power, nothing radical and NO whistle.
I say put the $100 toward an LS6 swap.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

^^ agreed
Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
I only drove it for half an hour after I installed it, but yeah I felt a difference. Don't get me wrong, it was only a minor difference, but still. Also, it did give my exhaust a deeper tone (don't ask me how lol). I would try and find one used and save some $$. That's what I did. If you have a K&N, CAI, or FWI it will sound like it's "sucking" more air (at least that's what mine sounds like).
I pretty much agree with all of this. I haven't really noticed a huge different in power or MPG as of yet. I installed mine with the K&N intake so I don't know if the sounded changes without it. I got mine for $40, so I'm not complaining. Mine does whistle though, and it's not too big of a deal for me.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I say put the $100 toward an LS6 swap.
We need like a detailed write up on the LS6 Swap with a parts list. And then make it a sticky so we never loose it in the "mix" of things.

I want to do it...........
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98GTcoupe
We need like a detailed write up on the LS6 Swap with a parts list. And then make it a sticky so we never loose it in the "mix" of things.

I want to do it...........
Agreed. If we can get a few of the guys who have done it to get together and put us something together, it'd be awesome.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

I would help but i didnt do mine, a shop did it and did a great job but i dont have details on how they did it. I could post pictures up in that sticky if you wanted me to though to see what it should look like.