LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 24 vs 58 tooth Reluctor (crankshaft)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 24 vs 58 tooth Reluctor (crankshaft)

Hey

I have an 06 GXP.

I found a deal on a motor and tranny with only 5K on it that i couldnt pass up. Its pretty much brand new.

However now i find the crank sensors are different.

So i understand there are 2 options.

1) use a converter like Lingenfelte unit

2) change the reluctor wheel.

So a few questions. I have heard a few complaints about the Lingenfelte unit. Can anyone tell me about reliability?

Where is the reluctor wheel on an LS4?

Can it be changed with out a major tear down?

-if not-

Can I swap the crank and install a fresh set of bottom end bearings?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you talking about the VSS reluctor wheel? I know we have a 30 toothed one, stock. Look at these....

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...ategory_Code=T

Is that what you are talking about? If so those are located somewhere near the lsd I think. I was going to replace mine but I am just going to tune for it instead. Let me know if this is what you are referring to.

-Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Are you talking about the VSS reluctor wheel? I know we have a 30 toothed one, stock. Look at these....

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...ategory_Code=T

Is that what you are talking about? If so those are located somewhere near the lsd I think. I was going to replace mine but I am just going to tune for it instead. Let me know if this is what you are referring to.

-Mike
No, but thanks for the response anyways. VSS is road speed. what im looking for in the change in crankshaft sensor between 2006 and 2007.

In 06 the crank reluctor wheel was 24 tooth. in 07 they changed it to 58 tooth.

So Im wondering if the reluctor wheel in inside the motor like other LSx product and a bastard to change.

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure it's on the crank in the normal LSx position.

There's a sensor mounted to the block right by cylinder 8 that looks like a crank position sensor...

http://www.gmtuners.com/LS4/LS4_eng_rear_bottom.jpg
Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in this situation. I bought an 07 motor for my 06 and could not get it to start. The crank reluctor wheel on an 07 up is 58x, while an 06 is 24x. The other difference is the cam timing wheel is a 4x for an 07 up and a 1x on a 06 up. I used the lingenfelter unit and it did get the car to start and run, but it would not convert or recognize the cam sensor. The issue this leads to is the car will not want to start up until you turn the key over three to four times. Also, you will end up with a backfire during a few of those key turns. Although it ran fine and eventually would start, believe me, it wasn't the way i'd want it. I think I frightened a few bystanders when it would backfire! I talked with Lingenfelter and the issue was that technically the TRG-001 was not made to support our vehicle. They talked of making an update at some point to be compatible with our car, but I don't believe they did.

Your best and only real option is to have the reluctor wheel changed and also change the cam timing wheel to an 06. Possibly change to newer ECM might be an option, but VIN numbers are tied to the ECM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I'm pretty sure it's on the crank in the normal LSx position.

There's a sensor mounted to the block right by cylinder 8 that looks like a crank position sensor...

http://www.gmtuners.com/LS4/LS4_eng_rear_bottom.jpg
Great pictures, thanks indeedy.

Looks like I can swap the crankshaft and toss in a new set of bearings. So the next question would be the cam sensor. Can I swap the cam pullys?

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
I've been in this situation. I bought an 07 motor for my 06 and could not get it to start. The crank reluctor wheel on an 07 up is 58x, while an 06 is 24x. The other difference is the cam timing wheel is a 4x for an 07 up and a 1x on a 06 up. I used the lingenfelter unit and it did get the car to start and run, but it would not convert or recognize the cam sensor. The issue this leads to is the car will not want to start up until you turn the key over three to four times. Also, you will end up with a backfire during a few of those key turns. Although it ran fine and eventually would start, believe me, it wasn't the way i'd want it. I think I frightened a few bystanders when it would backfire! I talked with Lingenfelter and the issue was that technically the TRG-001 was not made to support our vehicle. They talked of making an update at some point to be compatible with our car, but I don't believe they did.

Your best and only real option is to have the reluctor wheel changed and also change the cam timing wheel to an 06. Possibly change to newer ECM might be an option, but VIN numbers are tied to the ECM.

Yeah. Sigh. Kinda what i thought. I suppose im comitted to doing the full swap now.

But thanks for the info for the converter. I wont even bother to try it now.

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Did you speak to Kevin about this?

ECM plugs are different.

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talked to him about the TRG001 and my experience with it last week. Didn't know the plugs changed on the ECM, but thought it might be an idea.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Talked to him about the TRG001 and my experience with it last week. Didn't know the plugs changed on the ECM, but thought it might be an idea.
Ah I see. Im sure he was asking on my behalf. Well, at least we know better now.

Mighty impressive runs. Do you mind me asking how much boost you are running?

My 06 is destin for a turbo. Gotta get the motor swap and the tranny build done first.

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those runs were at around 10 to 11 lbs of boost.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the crank reluctor a 24 tooth on a 05 GXP? Thanks guys.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Is the crank reluctor a 24 tooth on a 05 GXP? Thanks guys.

-Mike
Yes indeedy.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snyd's
Yes indeedy.
^^^Yep, all LS4s with the E40 ECM use the 24 tooth reluctor.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I just needed some confirmation.

-Mike

Quick Reply: LS4 24 vs 58 tooth Reluctor (crankshaft)