LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

First Engine Light

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Engine Light

Noticed that my engine light came on today, nothing came across the display, don't know if it should have or not. The cars running perfectly fine, I haven't had any problems other than what seem to be computer qlitches. Sometime it doesn't record my RR tire pressure, but it works more often then not. Then maybe once a month, when I get in the car, my seatbelt light stays on, even when the seat belt is latched, then if I turn the car off then back on, the airbag light comes on, which also goes off the next time I drive it. I am going to have to get the code checked tomorrow obviously, but if there is nothing wrong, I really don't want to take it to the dealer to charge me an arm and a leg. This computerized stuff kinda sucks, but I love the car!! Anybody have any ideas, or similar problems?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a $40 code scanner from a parts store. That way when you do take her to a dealer, you'll know if they're jerking your chain.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Take it to AutoZone. they will give you a readout for free.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

or advanced they both let you scan for free
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Just pulled the code and they said it was the break booster. Apparently the vacuum is less than the vacuum in the intake.

Edit: wiggle a few vacuum lines under the hood and the light went off. Weird..

Last edited by JWMayes; 06-29-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Not bad. Glad it was a free repair.

Regarding the rear TPMS sensor not registering...try re-learning the sensors per the instructions in the manual. If it continues to give you errors, it may need replacing. I had one sensor that the system would "forget" after 15min of highway driving. I traced it down and replaced it (when I painted/installed my wheels) and no more issues.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats on your first SES light. Expect many more.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately that seat belt/ air bag light action is due to a corrupt air bag controller....I had that exact same problem.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Wow, that sucks, how much did it cost to get fixed? I think I will leave it alone for now, it only happens about once a month, and it clears right up, so I will wait until it gets worse. Hopefully it doesn't fail if I need it, which hopefully doesn't happen.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

my engine light is on becuz of my hogan dp i konw for sure but maybe i have other codes becuz my tire pressure system doesnt work worth a ****. it doesnt read the pressure with the stock wheels and doesnt even realize that they arent there when my black wheels are on.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWMayes
Wow, that sucks, how much did it cost to get fixed? I think I will leave it alone for now, it only happens about once a month, and it clears right up, so I will wait until it gets worse. Hopefully it doesn't fail if I need it, which hopefully doesn't happen.
The fault actually causes a whole bunch of codes to be stored in the air bag controller also known as SDIM...or SIDM....not sure, and I do not know how much it is to replace. I had it done under warrenty. I cannot imagine it being cheap but I am sure you have all those codes stored...
Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
my engine light is on becuz of my hogan dp i konw for sure but maybe i have other codes becuz my tire pressure system doesnt work worth a ****. it doesnt read the pressure with the stock wheels and doesnt even realize that they arent there when my black wheels are on.
The Keyless entry module also received singnals from the TPMS monitors. You could have a fault with that as that is a part that doesn't seem to last...If you have an antenna conntection on the top drivers side of your windshield, then yo have th eold reciever. typically when that fails the remote start will not have much range either.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
The Keyless entry module also received singnals from the TPMS monitors. You could have a fault with that as that is a part that doesn't seem to last...If you have an antenna conntection on the top drivers side of your windshield, then yo have th eold reciever. typically when that fails the remote start will not have much range either.
ok lol my questions answered
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah there is a new receiver and antenna available. I dont know if the dealer has to do any programming for it to work with the BCM..... The new receiver comes with new remote controls and hidden antenna as well.

Search this Thread