LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

situation

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default situation

ok heres the deal installed some ddm slim ballast hids on gxp and didnt really do a great job of mounting the ballast just zip tied the cords so they don't hang down too low.. not sure if this the problem or not but a week later went thru car wash , then it started pouring rain (go figure hahah) and car battery kept restarting pretty much the cluster and raido turned off for a second then restarted.. then it did it again , then went for like a month rained hard everything was normal then it rained again today omw home from bar it reset itself again and this time the hud wont come back on (hopefully its a fuse) just wondering could the hids be getting wet and causing the system to short out or is something wrong with the battery terminals, or the battery keep in mind the battery was replaced 2 months ago.. any ideas would be helpful thanks...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with my very limited knowledge of car electronics, i would say the safest place to start would be disconnecting your hid bulbs and ballasts for a while, replacing your stock bulbs and seeing if this causes an error ...

there may well be a stripped wire somewhere causing a short that is only amplified by the rain ... so if you can sort out that they are causing the problems then youve saved yourself the hassle and if i remember correctly, ddmtuning has a very good warranty on the ballasts and wiring, obviously not the bulbs because that is a wear item ...

if after a week or so and some rain or water there are still problems i would check back in and someone else could help you out ... but if things are working sometimes and not other, it is most likely not a fuse, because fuses are on/off things ... so youre looking for wiring that has been damaged ... just the thought of my big *** hands and horrible eyesight looking through spaghetti wires to find something wrong makes me want to

aaahhhh a thought, how well did you secure the connections that interrupted the power from the stock harness to the normal bulbs that now is routed to the ballast and back to the bulbs ... because i remember needing to give mine a bit of a bend to get them to really stick ... and then electrical taping and zip stripping the hell out of everything before putting back inside ... because it is an SS .... the **** gets driven

best of luck ...