LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone do a throttle body swap yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone do a throttle body swap yet?

I may do a throttle body sway when my tranny blows up. I am really restricted by it so i feel like it would help. Anyone do this before? I read a bunch of threads about people potentially doing it but i havent seen any results.
Thinking of swapping to an ls6 or a fast tb.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anyone has gotten the electrical to work.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

plenty of people have swapped to the zzp one. Keep in mind the LS6 is only 78mm.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

MAF is a greater restriction.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really AG? I run the stock MAF and a milled ZZP TB with a ported LS4 FasterProm Intake. Would I benefit from a larger MAF? If so, I imagine I'd try to get a G8 GT MAF. I think those are plug and play as far as the wiring but need to be tuned? Am I on the right track? If this is a good way to go, how much HP can be obtained? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

the maf is good for over 500hp. You wont gain anything by swapping that. If you Are making a lot of power than a maf can help give you more, its not really a restriction as it is a hinderer of tuning.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=817&catid=113
Is this the one people are swapping to? Anyone have any dyno results on if it works well?
Is it a direct bolt on?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
the maf is good for over 500hp. You wont gain anything by swapping that. If you Are making a lot of power than a maf can help give you more, its not really a restriction as it is a hinderer of tuning.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=817&catid=113
Is this the one people are swapping to? Anyone have any dyno results on if it works well?
Is it a direct bolt on?
Really? Have you seen the bottleneck formed by our MAF? Just because it will make x amount of power with our maf doesn't mean that the same setup with a larger one wouldn't make more power. IMO, it would be like replacing one section of the exhaust with 3" piping but leaving the 2.25" on either side of it...Our MAF is like having a 3" system with a section of 2.25" pipe. It would be much better to cut that piece out and replace it with 3" to match.

You are saying that I wouldn't gain ANYTHING by replacing the ~3" ID MAF with one that's an inch + larger, but a TB that might be 5mm larger would make a noticeable change?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Really AG? I run the stock MAF and a milled ZZP TB with a ported LS4 FasterProm Intake. Would I benefit from a larger MAF? If so, I imagine I'd try to get a G8 GT MAF. I think those are plug and play as far as the wiring but need to be tuned? Am I on the right track? If this is a good way to go, how much HP can be obtained? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
I would sell the ported intake and build a LS1 swap kit. Comparing the LS1 to the LS4 in physical size you can see that there is no comparison. Even ported, the stock manifold couldn't flow anywhere near it. If you aren't interested in taking on something like that, but have a good tuner, I would suggest figuring out a MAF swap to a larger, factory MAF and doing supporting intake tube mods. Get it tuned and let us know what kind of results you get.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

My maf is the exact same size as the rest of my intake system. Its not smaller..infact i just went out and looked. Maybe the 08 has a larger maf?
As far as the throttle body goes....Considering my current tb is broken, yes i do think i will see gains
Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

My maf is the exact same size as the rest of my intake system. Its not smaller..infact i just went out and looked. Maybe the 08 has a larger maf?
As far as the throttle body goes....Considering my current tb is broken, yes i do think i will see gains
Just because the entire system is that size doesn't mean it's not a restiction. Especially if you're spinning the engine higher, it's demanding a lot more air. If you measure the MAF then compare it to measurements of every other LSx based MAF you'll see what I'm saying. GM used this MAF on a lot of the newer V6 motors...it's meant to feed 3.xL at 5000rpm, and not 5.3L @ 6100.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so than its not the maf that is the restriction, its the entire intake system even if you have a cold air. either way i NEED a new tb and thats what this tread is about. I was planning on replacing the entire intake system anyway
Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Get the TPIS LS6 90mm intake and use the LS2 TB with a LS2 MAF. You'll need matching piping and tuning.
With the amount of mods that you have, I think you'd see a pretty big gain over your current setup.
Bamma is not trying to run you down, and he is right about the MAF being small. All you need to do is compare it to other LS engines and you'll get our point. In fact, you'd be more then SHOCKED! We have very small piping. The 4.8's use the same style MAF's as the 6.0's. Check this out.. CLICK ON THE DETAILED APPLICATIONS LINK

http://cardone.com/English/club/memb...RTNUM=7410113#

And the G8 GT use's
http://cardone.com/English/club/memb...RTNUM=7410146#

My buddy has a 07 Silverado 4x4 H.D and his MAF and piping is huge compared to our dinky *** ****. With your mods... It is a restriction. GM had to compromise between V8 and V4 mode so this another reson why everything is so dam small.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 10-26-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Ya im not taking my ls6 intake off. I paid 2 grand for that to be put in and i will be damned if im upgrading. I will however go up to 78mm piping, maf and tb though. Doing a 90mm system would require too much room. The current tb barley fits with my headers as it is.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
GM had to compromise between V8 and V4 mode so this another reson why everything is so dam small.
I don't necessarily agree with your statement. If that was the case, then all the other DoD/AFM setups would suffer from the same "disability."

I think it was more of a compromise between V8 power and FWD (traction and torque steer).
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GXP25
I don't necessarily agree with your statement. If that was the case, then all the other DoD/AFM setups would suffer from the same "disability."

I think it was more of a compromise between V8 power and FWD (traction and torque steer).
Hmm...
Makes since. The DOD trucks use the bigger maf too.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Ya im not taking my ls6 intake off. I paid 2 grand for that to be put in and i will be damned if im upgrading. I will however go up to 78mm piping, maf and tb though. Doing a 90mm system would require too much room. The current tb barley fits with my headers as it is.
I can understand your reasoning.. Go with the 78mm stuff and let us know how everything works out for you.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's the wrong tb on zzp site. You need to look in the cobalt section for the milled ls4 if they still offer it...