LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I think im having transmission issues!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think im having transmission issues!!!!!!!!!

hey guys! hope someone on here can help as many of you have had issues with your tranny. i have a 2006 monte carlo ss with 54000 miles and this past weekend while driving i felt a jerk. i only feel the jerking at takeoff from a complete stop at light throttle. the car seems to be fine if i use full throttle. it doesnt do this all the time just 2-3 times the whole time while im driving. i have checked the dipstick and fluid is still red and full but it does have a burnt smell. one other thing to mention, i did you drain and filter on the tranny around march/april. i used mobile 1 synthetic tranny fluid. well i figured out that it wasnt dexron 6 after i finished the whole process. my friend, which is a chevy mechanic that helped me, and i asked a few of his co workers if they was ok. They all said that it should be fine. is the mobile 1 messing up my tranny? should i drop the pan again or flush it this time? please help!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what i was told, flushing your tranny will more than likely kill the transmission in these cars. Why? I have no idea. My tranny just gave out on sunday and its out of warranty but im trying to see if i can catch a break through GM and get it fixed. Like the guys told me, get a transmission cooler and a shift kit
Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Teching In

yeah they qouted me at 3000 for a new tranny and labor. that sucks. i guess i will just drop the pan and check for shavings or anything foreign. hopefully i still have some time on this tranny. i do plan on getting a cooler but where should i get the shift kit?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its a site called 3800 performance or something like that. it was a guy selling his for 100 but by the time i checked, it was gone lol. yeah these cars suck when it comes to transmission
Old 10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is real important to only use GM Dextron VI fluid in our transaxles. Do not flush our tannies with a machine. Just drop the pan and change the filter. While doing that, I recommend trowing a shift kit in there. It is pretty easy.

If that doesn't fix anything, then I guess it only cost you $120 and some time but I highly recommend the shift kit and cooler regardless of the solution to your issue.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlee2003
yeah they qouted me at 3000 for a new tranny and labor. that sucks. i guess i will just drop the pan and check for shavings or anything foreign. hopefully i still have some time on this tranny. i do plan on getting a cooler but where should i get the shift kit?
I got mine from Dave at triple edge performance.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never EVER use synthetic fluid in a 4T65 tranny. All it does is **** them up. As said above, gotta use Dexron 6 exclusively.

Now, that said, I don't think the fluid is causing your clunk problem. It's quite possible that the torque converter clutch is going south (VERY common) and the material from it circulating through the trans.

A built trans from Triple Edge is about $1650 + shipping and core. A good shop will probably charge around $500 or so to R&R. So, for around $2000-$2200, you can have a trans with all of the goodies, and you won't need to worry about it again.

If you want more info, check the thread that documents my trans horrors: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...e-project.html
Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i have a feeling my trans is having suicidal thoughts now. shifting late when in automatic mode. hard to put in gear. so is it cheaper just to buy a performance trans. i think its call tep? or something?? i know NOTHING about transmissions. but i would like to get a better performance one especially if its cheaper. i just dont know what exactly to get
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Dextron 6 is synthetic. 99% sure
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Dextron 6 is synthetic. 99% sure
100% sure...

Quick Reply: I think im having transmission issues!!!!!!!!!