LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Possible Solution to the 4 CYC Rattle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Solution to the 4 CYC Rattle Issue

forgive my topic, i mean 4CYL not CYC

The other night i noticed some oil under the car. Checked it out with a flashlight and the entire area was coated with oil. Took it in for service the next day for this and i also brought up the noise where you will hear what sounds like a chain (which is the timing chain anyway) hitting a metal case when it in 4 cylinder mode. I knew there was a TSB about it where GM says no fix at this time. Anyway the tech found a major leak in my oil pan so when he dropped the pan he saw a piece from the timing chain tensioner just laying in the pan. It broke off. Maybe this is whats been causing the issue? Got car back today after that replaced everything of course and problem is gone. My suggestion would be, check your oil pan to see if someone is laying in it b/c if it is, they have to fix the rattling issue. The chain without this peice has slack in it and when in 4cyl mode it makes a rubbing noise.

Last edited by steveman0018; 11-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

why would i check my oil pan for someone laying in it? lol
Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

well besides the oil lol.. This is mainly for the few ppl who have the same issue. It is quite annoying hearing it all the time and as many of us who treat these cars like thier child, the last thing i want is someone to say wtf is wrong is that thing. I been living with it for over 6 months and when im riding around town and the city i would keep it in 3rd gear just so it wouldnt go into 4cyl. I know a tuner can turn off DOD but i just perfer not to risk voiding my warrenty even if you can reflash back. It gets quite annoying hearing GM tell its customers its a normal engine condition when its not. So hopfully people who have this problem might just have a piece of the tensioner for the timing chain broken off and get it fixed.